The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

► Apex | Flow Formed Lightweight Mustang Wheels - Built to Perform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I ran the 18x11s with a 20mm spacer and Purelli DH slicks, stock suspension this weekend. No issues except a rub on the brake ducts at full lock. Will be ordering Roush stops to eliminate the new rub. Thanks Black Boss for recommendation.

Last edited:

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Get your lightweight 18" EC-7 wheels which offer massive BBK clearance this month before the craze of next track season hits.

31676609023_bbf80d54d4_b.jpg

Last edited:

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
24987006428_7830d766a5_b.jpg

APEX 18×11” ET52 EC-7 - rotatable square fitment
305/35-18 Nitto NT01’s

30mm spacer in front
*originally to clear the factory struts, but new aFe coilovers would allow a smaller spacer

Camber Specs:
F. -3 degrees
R. -2 degrees

Owner: Frank | Instagram

Last edited:

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Do not be forced into running a larger diameter wheel than desired due to inferior brake clearance. The APEX 18" EC-7 wheels clear the ever-so-popular Performance Package Brembo BBK with ease, while the 19" EC-7 wheels provide superior clearance to the massive GT350 Brembo BBK than most wheels on the market today.

Performance Package Brembo Brakes
18" APEX EC-7

32771819555_9bfdfaf109_c.jpg

GT350 Brembo Brakes
19" APEX EC-7

36259260782_ceb3ae6eb8_c.jpg

Fitment question for a '13 BOSS 302 Laguna Seca - factory suspension w/ Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates added...

I thought there was an initial offering by APEX of a 19x9 S197 front fitment offered, but that may have just been a market feeler back at the original offering to the Mustang community? If I can't do 19x9 fronts, what about 19x10 front and 19x11 rear? It's mostly a street car with no more than 2 track events per year. As for tire size, what would you recommend?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Generally, 20mm to 25mm is needed with most struts. Offset struts like CorteX offers can reduce the needed spacer to under 10mm. Width of the specific brand of 305 and the amount of camber used would determine fine tuning for fender clearance.

Welcome to TMO!

I've never run wheel spacers. Are there any precautions to look out for?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
you need to use a good hubcentric spacer (like the ones available at opmustang.com) so that there's a tight interface at the hub whereas many spacers are lugcentric where all the loading is placed on studs. The bolt on variety that have their own studs are typically junk, the studs low grade and aren't safe to be driven on track (not to mention double the number of fasteners per wheel).

Finally, a quality extended stud and good open lug nut set are important to safely attach the wheel spacers.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
you need to use a good hubcentric spacer (like the ones available at opmustang.com) so that there's a tight interface at the hub whereas many spacers are lugcentric where all the loading is placed on studs. The bolt on variety that have their own studs are typically junk, the studs low grade and aren't safe to be driven on track (not to mention double the number of fasteners per wheel).

Finally, a quality extended stud and good open lug nut set are important to safely attach the wheel spacers.

Are the 350 lugs sufficient? I assumed by their high torque requirement on factory wheels they were?

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
As usual, @captdistraction is on the money.

To mirror our BMW product spectrum and further support the Mustang community, we plan to offer quality Mustang wheel hardware (spacers, stud kits etc.) in the near future. However in the interim, customers are currently using ARP extended wheels studs and spacers from a reputable source like Optimum Performance.

Stud length requirements completely depend on the spacer thickness used. The GT350R comes equipped with extended studs, therefore no modification is necessary when running 20 - 25mm spacers. For GT and GT350 owners, ARP 3.5" extended studs are recommended to ensure proper engagement. LINK

Here is a photo of Rick's GT350 to help paint the picture. I get the feeling he's going to start charging me per use soon ;)

37697569655_45fc7da622_c.jpg

Fitment question for a '13 BOSS 302 Laguna Seca - factory suspension w/ Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates added...

I thought there was an initial offering by APEX of a 19x9 S197 front fitment offered, but that may have just been a market feeler back at the original offering to the Mustang community? If I can't do 19x9 fronts, what about 19x10 front and 19x11 rear? It's mostly a street car with no more than 2 track events per year. As for tire size, what would you recommend?

We included a 19x9" wheel in our survey, however the demand was convincing at the time. It is possible that we add a 9" wheel to our 19" lineup, however I would need to verify demand from the community to warrant production. A vast majority of S197 and S550 enthusiasts looking for lightweight performance oriented wheels are interested in running 10" wheels up front, or in a square format.

For an S197 Boss 302 I would highly recommend our the EC-7 19x10" ET40 rotatable square fitment with 285/35-19 tires. This is a fantastic setup, and the photo's below of the Kenny Brown Performance Boss 302 may help paint the picture.

37091294033_2651669f73_b.jpg

37712967286_5ac9d2868b_b.jpg

Alternatively, if you are prioritizing rear end grip for a higher HP build, you could run a staggered 19x10" ET40 / 19x11" ET52 fitment with 285/35-19 front, 305/35-19 rear tires respectively. With this fitment, you naturally loose the ability to rotate wheels and tires effectively.

- Ryan

Last edited:

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
26136160598_00e0af7bde_b.jpg

S197 Mustang - GT500

APEX EC-7 18x11" ET52 Wheels in Satin Black - Square Format
315/30/18 BFG Rival-S Tires
20mm Spacers up front
Eibach Lowering Springs and -3* Camber

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I just placed an order for a fresh set of these bad boys. I'd have waited for the group buy, but have more immediate needs.

That said, I can definitely vouch for the hardiness of the wheels. Had a pair looked at I was unsure about, and they've been cleared for continuous use (I had bashed up the insides pretty well in an incident back in November). These things are crazy solid.

I've never run wheel spacers. Are there any precautions to look out for?
Welcome to TMO! Many of the Mustangs featured run our studs, spacers and lug nuts. We offer 1/2" and 14mm ARP studs and spacers from 8mm to 25mm. We recently attempted to perform some destructive testing on the 1/2" wheel studs but failed when they did not fail at 195ft/lbs of torque. You can safely run either stud with our spacers without issue. We offer the studs, new Ford hubs pre-built with ARP studs in multiple configurations. Most of these items can be found HERE on Our website. On the S550 you want to run a longer stud in the rear as well due to the thicker wheel flange of the Apex wheel. The 1/2 longer than stock 14mm stud is a popular choice in this location due to the extremely short factory wheel studs. The only item we do not offer is the actual wheels, which is unfortunate...

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
I just placed an order for a fresh set of these bad boys. I'd have waited for the group buy, but have more immediate needs.

That said, I can definitely vouch for the hardiness of the wheels. Had a pair looked at I was unsure about, and they've been cleared for continuous use (I had bashed up the insides pretty well in an incident back in November). These things are crazy solid.

Counting the days until I see your machine in the flesh, Chris. Appreciate your continuous support for the brand.

I like 'em.a9be6913483f2dab11d1d951574b36e5.jpge0f112726df9ecb849903177b181ea42.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Killer! Appreciate you sharing the photo's.

Welcome to TMO! Many of the Mustangs featured run our studs, spacers and lug nuts. We offer 1/2" and 14mm ARP studs and spacers from 8mm to 25mm. We recently attempted to perform some destructive testing on the 1/2" wheel studs but failed when they did not fail at 195ft/lbs of torque. You can safely run either stud with our spacers without issue. We offer the studs, new Ford hubs pre-built with ARP studs in multiple configurations. Most of these items can be found HERE on Our website. On the S550 you want to run a longer stud in the rear as well due to the thicker wheel flange of the Apex wheel. The 1/2 longer than stock 14mm stud is a popular choice in this location due to the extremely short factory wheel studs. The only item we do not offer is the actual wheels, which is unfortunate...

Thanks for chiming in here, Tim. Lets link up next week, and we can pick up where we left off some time ago.

Apex Wheels

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Am finally in for the next group buy but looks like they are out of stock for 30 to 60 days according to the Apex website

Appreciate your interest, they would work well with your Cortex suspension. Most of our Mustang EC-7 wheels are in stock, however we are waiting for a new production run of the 18x11's which is currently underway. These have been very popular leading up to the track/race season, and we are working hard to get them back in stock in healthy quantities.

- Ryan

TMO Supporting Vendors