The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

.030" taper on pressure plate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
I have a 2015 GT with MT85 6 speed manual trans.
I replaced the stock clutch a couple of years ago with a Centerforce single disk dual friction clutch. I pulled the transmission this fall to have the synchros upgraded (6th gear synchro wasn't working). I pulled the clutch at the same time and noticed it wasn't using the inner 1/3 of the disk on the pressure plate side.

I haven't been able to verify it with other measurement methods. Until I get that resolved, I'm taking out the .030" taper comments for now. I still have the mystery of why the inner third of the disk wasn't touching the PP. More investigation needed.

I don't have experience with other clutch suppliers... What is everyone using for a single disk clutch.. Exedy, Spec, RAM, ACT?

And the Centerforce metal sleeved TOB gets clutch dust in it and sticks bad enough to make the clutch slip occasionally. I'm changing that back to a Ford OEM TOB.Centerforce Pressure plate uneven.jpgCenterforce Throwout Bearing.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
I found online on another forum that Exedy told them for their clutch that the PP tolerance is .002". That's sounds reasonable.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Minnesota
I checked the flatness six ways to Sunday with several straight edges I could find in my shop. I concluded that my dial gauge set is apparently a bit wonky. I haven't figured out why yet.
But when I use straight edges and my thin set of feeler gauges I come up with a taper of .006" on the old PP and .002" on the PP.
So I'm going to install the new set and run with it.

The throw out bearing is out of here. I wouldn't get that again.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel