The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

10R80 Automatic Trans Cooling Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal
since the pin expands at 190*F, there would be no way to electronically change the setting at which the pin expands. Does anyone know if like a ball valve that opens and closes at certain temps that are for automotive use exist at all?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal
@flyhalf Do you think the cooler that you are running now could be swapped out for a smaller one to heat up the fluid a little bit more? I noticed that you mentioned that you would like to be at 160*F minimum and I agree with that. My ideal trans temps would be between 170*F-220*F absolute max. From the research that I have done, the 6r80 and 10r80 were designed to run hot and if they were designed that way, then the assumption is that they would be most efficient around 190*F

@flyhalf Do you think the cooler that you are running now could be swapped out for a smaller one to heat up the fluid a little bit more? I noticed that you mentioned that you would like to be at 160*F minimum and I agree with that. My ideal trans temps would be between 170*F-220*F absolute max. From the research that I have done, the 6r80 and 10r80 were designed to run hot and if they were designed that way, then the assumption is that they would be most efficient around 190*F
Define Hot lol. Both stop to work after 230 so not that hot.
There is an easy solution.
External thermostat.
IMPROVED RACING has one.
Different options for opening 140 160 180
And still allow 10% flow even when close.
So you make a bypass on the trans and add this
Check that!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal
External thermostat.
IMPROVED RACING has one.
Check that!
Well, I mean the oem fluid expands with heat and they have it setup for the thermostatic bypass to open at 190* which I would assume the fluid is a a certain viscosity and thinner (10r80 even thinner) than when cold for the seals and parts on the lead frame to work properly. From what I read, there is something like 150-250 psi inside the trans when shifting gears. excuse my lack of vocabulary as I'm not an expert obviously lol.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal
External thermostat.
IMPROVED RACING has one.
Check that!

That is nice, I was hoping something like this would exist. I think This would solve a lot of your issues and potentially mine as well. Would you personally mount it right off the trans or right next to the cooler?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal

This is the hp tuners website, specifically their ford transmission tuning section. lots of great info in there as well. I don't know if its ok to post this link, but if its not Please remove it mods. I would really like to learn about the shifting table and whatnot, but right now I just don't have the time to do all of that research. Probably in a few months I will have more time.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal
@flyhalf I was also curious how you go about checking your trans fluid levels. as you already know the fluid level is checked when the thermostatic bypass opens up and all the fluid is cycling through the cooler and at 190*F. And since the fluid expands, its going to be at a higher level than when at 120*F.

@flyhalf I was also curious how you go about checking your trans fluid levels. as you already know the fluid level is checked when the thermostatic bypass opens up and all the fluid is cycling through the cooler and at 190*F. And since the fluid expands, its going to be at a higher level than when at 120*F.
Because is 24 7 open the level is actually more "real " with the bypass cause is already circulating. 🙂

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
San Francisco
So I took my new 10-speed Dark Horse to the track for the first time, didn't push it that hard and had transmission cooling issues. After 6 laps at Buttonwillow Raceway the transmission oil got to 280F when it was 65F outside.

I got a quote from Power By The Hour Performance for one of their cooler kits:

@flyhalf think that would help?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
So I took my new 10-speed Dark Horse to the track for the first time, didn't push it that hard and had transmission cooling issues. After 6 laps at Buttonwillow Raceway the transmission oil got to 280F when it was 65F outside.

Before I post a ridiculous response please describe the OEM setup for us.

No. At least not only. You already have a cooler that works well. I forgot to answer you. Sorry
You can get my trans thermostat bypass.
I think will fix 90% ot your problem. But it is never been tested on a dark horse yet.

Also the dark horse has a different system than previous one. Basically it has a water to oil pre cooler tank. Many believe is an additional cooler. I actually believe is the opposite. It does warm up the oil
That cooler is slightly bigger than your oem. Nothing that will change anything.
If it was mine :
Bypass first . Then way bigger cooler after. With a "thought" on how to remove the boiler that is before the cooler.
We can keep chatting viw text if you need

Let ne add. Is so freaking sad to see dark horse with that issue.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel