The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

10R80 Automatic Trans Cooling Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 old racer

Too blessed to be stressed and old track whore,
Exp. Level
20+ Years
fontana ca.
With covid being kinda over I am out on business travel, trying to regain some lost ground. I dont think I will be attending any track days til at least fall of this year. But that is ok. Just t one year 9 months and I get to turn my mustang into a dedicated track car. Car payments, Extended warranty, house and work will all be behind me. I have budgeted 7 track days per year in today's $$$ so I should be ready to go. Tell then I am just getting ready and making improvements

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Oregon
For info,
Resharing my setup.
The black cooler is the trans cooler.
The bypass I created works.( i basically made a piece of metal that simulates the thermostat open 24 7. Max temps for time trials is 150f.

View attachment 73288
There is a wire loom behind the crash bar. I am going to have to reroute it behind the coolers to account for space with the new coolers. Have you ran into this issue or has any problems with the wire loom behind the crash bar?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Oregon
Completed the install and hopefully it all performs well on next track day. I had to make custom brackets to hold the coolers in place and build the AN lines. There were also a few small custom brackets to hold the oil lines to prevent any rubbing and a reroute for a front wire loom. Added a diff cooler as well to keep things cool out back.

PXL_20220405_013340359.MP.jpg

PXL_20220406_004911384.MP.jpg

PXL_20220329_221206602.MP.jpg

PXL_20220329_190359556.MP.jpg

PXL_20220404_221750976.MP.jpg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Oregon
The coolers worked well but ran into an issue.
After the first day on the track I had some fluid leaking from the front of the trans. I believe that with the cooler full of fluid and getting on the track and getting to up to temps the trans was pretty overfilled. I got a black flag for white smoke and there was some fluid getting on the exhaust. I drained about half a quart back home and won't have a chance to go back on the track for awhile.

Has anyone else had some leaking after getting hot or adding a larger cooler (when installing the cooler toping off fluid)? I didn't see where the trans vent is located so not sure where exactly the fluid was coming from.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Oregon
Yep. Normal. There is a breather over the trans. It spills fluid mainly on left side and can reach up to half car lenght.
U need a breather. CORTEX has a kit u can use. (Was for the diff but same thing. )

View attachment 74624
That is super helpful and good to know! Should I be able to see the vent from looking down from the engine bay? Thanks for all the helpful info

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal

not associated with them in any way and there are a few other companies on the market that also make them. these are 10r80 thermostatic valve bypass. they make them for the 6r80 as well (have it installed on my car). There is a valve that works similar to the coolant thermostat, but inside the trans. The trans keeps the fluid inside the case until that thermostat opens up at 190*F and then allows the trans fluid to exit the case and move through the cooler and then back into the case.

not associated with them in any way and there are a few other companies on the market that also make them. these are 10r80 thermostatic valve bypass. they make them for the 6r80 as well (have it installed on my car). There is a valve that works similar to the coolant thermostat, but inside the trans. The trans keeps the fluid inside the case until that thermostat opens up at 190*F and then allows the trans fluid to exit the case and move through the cooler and then back into the case.
Fyi. I made mine . Is 30$ ☺️
Ill give them a call though
.issue is... It stays too cold sometime. Especially for dual usage.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal
Of course mate. I'm actually gonna call them. To see what they do. I wonder if we can machine a partial open bypass to warm up quicker than fully opened but still slowing down the overheating issues
Thanks for the link!
I didn't notice you mention which trans cooler and how many btu it flows in this thread. I agree, you are running too cool. possibly putting in a smaller cooler will help bring up the temps a bit or if some type of inline temp switch exists, that can be used. Do we know if the trans temps displayed on the gauge cluster are actual or inferred (like coolant temp and many others)?

I have this installed on my 6r80 (cooler port with temp sensor) and the derale mustang trans cooler kit with the 16 row 32,000 btu cooler along with the thermostatic valve bypass on my 6r80. I don't have a temp sensor installed on the port yet and the car is down at the moment, so I don't have any real data and how much cooler things are running.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal
Of course mate. I'm actually gonna call them. To see what they do. I wonder if we can machine a partial open bypass to warm up quicker than fully opened but still slowing down the overheating issues
Thanks for the link!
Even if machining it so that its partially open, we would have no way of measuring how much it would help cool things down/retain heated fluid without a lot of trial and error and testing different opening sizes. And from my understanding, the thermostatic valve is either open or closed and no in between (I could be wrong) so even if the machined valve was partially open, that would mean that fluid would still be cycling through the cooler, just at a slower rate.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal
I don't remember off the top of my head if the actual oem thermostatic valve has a wax that melts at 190*F or if its mechanical (lever behind it pushing it down). If its mechanical, I wonder if there is a way that the trans can be programmed to have the valve open up sooner than the oem temp.

I don't remember off the top of my head if the actual oem thermostatic valve has a wax that melts at 190*F or if its mechanical (lever behind it pushing it down). If its mechanical, I wonder if there is a way that the trans can be programmed to have the valve open up sooner than the oem temp.
The thermostat is a classic pin brass thermostat. The pin expands at 190f. Push the valve and the valve opens the circuit.
This above is not a great solution cause is only a switch to activate the fan. I have the fan behind radiator and cooler anyway so the radiator fan works fine.
10r80 temp sensor are real. With the by pass max temps are under control but when is 45f outside the trans is cold. With max 130f after session. Now. I didnt see specific issue with that. But i would love the fluid at 160f min.
I have measured with and without the bypass so i know what the warming up timing is. But is subjective to what cooler you have. How u boxed etc. In other words. The efficency of your system

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
socal
The thermostat is a classic pin brass thermostat. The pin expands at 190f. Push the valve and the valve opens the circuit.
This above is not a great solution cause is only a switch to activate the fan. I have the fan behind radiator and cooler anyway so the radiator fan works fine.
10r80 temp sensor are real. With the by pass max temps are under control but when is 45f outside the trans is cold. With max 130f after session. Now. I didnt see specific issue with that. But i would love the fluid at 160f min.
I have measured with and without the bypass so i know what the warming up timing is. But is subjective to what cooler you have. How u boxed etc. In other words. The efficency of your system
ahhh you're right. I thought it was an actual valve that opened and closed at the given temps. I didn't notice it was for activation a fan, sorry about that. Exactly, it is subjective to everyone's cooler setup and not everyone is doing the exact same thing.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel