The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

11-14 Brembo/Track pack suspension parts for 05-09 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi everyone,

I have free access to most suspension parts off a 11' manual brembo pack mustang, which is basically the same as the 13-14 Track pack cars (besides cooling and diff if i remember correctly).

They are low mileage parts which have been stored since around 2013.

My question is, is there any suspension part worth swapping from that 11' brembo Mustang to my high mileage 09 GT (besides the revised rear LCA's which I've already swapped)? Only if there is anything to gain in the handling department.

I know the sway bars are a bit different, but are they better for the earlier s197's?

Same goes for the springs and struts - is it even worth thinking about?

Any other part that might be slightly better? I'm guessing the Panhard bar etc are mostly the same?

Just as a note, these parts will only be used as a temporary thing, until I get around to buy the complete Ford Performance handling kit.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Information I have is showing the front springs being about the same rates (not worth swapping), Brembo rear springs being about 25 lb/in stiffer, and the Brembo sta-bars being slightly firmer (around 50 lb/in bar rate increases for both). I don't see much reduction in roll happening by swapping any or all of them, but you could expect the understeer to become a bit lighter if you do them all.

The UCA on the later car is longer than the 2009's and would be an improvement as far as the stability of the side view geometry is concerned (think stability of the anti-squat geometry here, not vehicle understeer-oversteer stability). You'd also need to grab the later chassis-side bracket and I think you'd need to drill the hole for the bolt that goes down from under the rear seat out a little to suit the larger bolt. UCA swapping may require dropping the fuel tank at least on the early car, so whether it's worth the effort is a separate matter.

Norm

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Question if I may: Wouldn’t this change by itself alter the Pinion Angle?

Depending on the difference of the UCA lengths?
I think the chassis side/front bracket accommodates the change in length.

—-

To the OP- I’d make the swap since you have the parts.

The 55D parts on a square setup are pretty well balanced. With your staggered tire setup (IIRC? Or was that on the old car?), you are already biasing the car to push. I’d make the swap either way.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Question if I may: Wouldn’t this change by itself alter the Pinion Angle?
That's why you also need to take the later car's bracket. IIRC, the length difference is more like an inch than 1/8", so pinion angle would be way off if you try to mix and match UCAs and brackets. It's the hole locations in the chassis for the bracket fasteners that's held constant.

Norm

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
It's the hole locations in the chassis for the bracket fasteners that's held constant.
Ppl

Well of.of course they are. My question you quoted deals with the ‘variables‘ of changing the UCA.

Because as I’m sure you know, It’s the length of the upper control arm that is unknown. If the UCA is an inch longer that will drive the pinion yoke upward, (reducing the pinion angle), as the LCA attachment points then becomes the Live Axle fulcrum point.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Ppl

Well of.of course they are. My question you quoted deals with the ‘variables‘ of changing the UCA.

Because as I’m sure you know, It’s the length of the upper control arm that is unknown. If the UCA is an inch longer that will drive the pinion yoke upward, (reducing the pinion angle), as the LCA attachment points then becomes the Live Axle fulcrum point.
Like Grant said first, you have to change the bracket to suit the UCA. The UCA lengths are too different not to. I think the later UCA is somewhere around an inch longer, so with the early bracket the pinion would be pointed somewhere up around the console and you might not even be able to connect the driveshaft to it.

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors