The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen1 1967 LS7 Mustang Build Thread Profile - Gen 1 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I noticed you mentioned you went nuts and spent way toooooo much on turning this into a dedicated track car , so all I can say is.....................................................Welcome to the Club!!! Are you a Visa , MasterCard, Discover or American Express kind of guy, or are klike many of us and answer to " All of the Above!"

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Some updates on the car. Terry has a thread he started here somewhere but I figured I would do some of the smaller updates. As you can see from the picture the car is pretty light. Before it went to Terry in street form with an iron block 302 with was 3000lbs with me in it and 1/4 tank of fuel. I think we will end up slightly under 3000lbs with me in the car once it's all said and done.

I know it's controversial but doing the LS7 swap made the most sense and I think was the softest on my wallet at the time. GM Performance did a major sale on a fully dressed LS7 (clutch and flywheel included) earlier this year and I couldn't pass it up. With long tubes this car will make 500whp and tip the scales without driver at about 2750lbs. We were able to fit 18x11 wheels with some 315 Rival S1.5's front and rear, same offset too so I can rotate the wheels.

It's running similar suspension geometry to the S197 mustang with the same spindles and ford racing 14" brembos and hubs. The car is currently at the body shop getting all the panels fit to the car. Carbon front fenders and splitter. The hood and doors are fiberglass. I made a recent update video I posted to YouTube that I may post here later so you can see the car.

Cheers,

Adam

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.44.50 PM.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I still regret selling my '65 Mustang to this day. I hope to see yours at the track one of these days. I'm sure we'll be in the same place at the same time eventually.
Yeah, this is a car I will never sell. It was my dad's and he gave it to me about 20 years ago. It's been in the family longer than I have...lol

I got rid of my Boss and GT350 because I was tired of lugging this car around with me every time I moved, military life. The first restoration wasn't what I wanted the car to be so I nearly started again from scratch. Financially building an old car for the track doesn't really make sense with the modern cars out there but the sentimental value of the car is priceless.

The only thing we really kept was the 9" rear, everything else is new for this build. It's kind of a Frankenstein car so I hope it's not terrible and scary on track...lol

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas

This was the last track day at Barber before I took the car to Vorshlag. 300ish wheel horse power iron block .302 with Trickflow heads. With the LS7 I'll have another 200whp and be a little bit lighter. I'm way down the rabbit hole now and I don't see the light.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Yeah, this is a car I will never sell. It was my dad's and he gave it to me about 20 years ago. It's been in the family longer than I have...lol

I got rid of my Boss and GT350 because I was tired of lugging this car around with me every time I moved, military life.

I definitely understand. I bought my '65 from my wife's father before we were married and sold it when I got stationed in Japan. I have since bought a '79 C10 from him that I could never sell.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Awesome build.....but i hate the LS lol. Cant wait to see the finished project. I hope i get to do a restomod some day 69 boss 439 replica
If it weren't for the Covid it would already have been done. I wanted to have it done by LS Fest East this month but that didn't happen so a friend let me borrow his car to drive instead. I'm hoping to have it done by LS Fest west next year. I also plan on taking it to Ford Fest next year. Thanks for the reply

TMO Supporting Vendors