The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FoxBody 1992 Ford Mustang LX5.0 Build Thread Profile - Fox Body Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sounds like you are ready for big fun, and there are plenty of folks out there modifying Fox bodies. There is even a Category on TMO for you and others. The one suggestion I would make is to save the money by skipping a Supercharger , as they often get heat soak on road courses and it just adds more weight to the front of the car. I would instead work on weight reduction for the car , continue your suspension upgrades, etc.. Remember the best improvement in speed on a road course will be gained by --------Tires!!

Are you willing to flare your fenders or modify the wheel wells so you can get some big meats under your car? The other plus is you might want to look into the NASA rules ( SCCA is good too, there are just more options with NASA currently ) because you have American Iron, Camaro and Mustang Challenge and other spots you could set up as a full race car. The advantage there is you could track in HPDEs and Time Trials and there would be a place to sell it later if you decide to move to another Mustang? Just a thought , but part of the suggestion is because fellow racers , just like TMO, are always helpful in helping you do a correct build.

Glad to have you hear and we had better see some pics when you run at Watkins Glen, ha!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Bedford Hills, NY
Sounds like you are ready for big fun, and there are plenty of folks out there modifying Fox bodies. There is even a Category on TMO for you and others. The one suggestion I would make is to save the money by skipping a Supercharger , as they often get heat soak on road courses and it just adds more weight to the front of the car. I would instead work on weight reduction for the car , continue your suspension upgrades, etc.. Remember the best improvement in speed on a road course will be gained by --------Tires!!

Are you willing to flare your fenders or modify the wheel wells so you can get some big meats under your car? The other plus is you might want to look into the NASA rules ( SCCA is good too, there are just more options with NASA currently ) because you have American Iron, Camaro and Mustang Challenge and other spots you could set up as a full race car. The advantage there is you could track in HPDEs and Time Trials and there would be a place to sell it later if you decide to move to another Mustang? Just a thought , but part of the suggestion is because fellow racers , just like TMO, are always helpful in helping you do a correct build.

Glad to have you hear and we had better see some pics when you run at Watkins Glen, ha!
Thanks Bill. I appreciate your input.
I understand your observations about supercharging and heat. I have a Vortech in my garage and thought I would try it out on the track.
But as you suggest, I'll continue the suspension mods and consider larger wheel/tire combos.
You probably see several post in the future from me with questions and requests for opinions. Feel free to offer your feedback at any time.
Art

TMO Supporting Vendors