The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

1st & 2nd gear lock out issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Auckland New Zealand
So I'm still messing with this damn thing, it's certainly better but hit & miss.
Took the boot off again and had another look, this time I happen to notice the aluminum tab the reverse lock out collar contacts is a lot further to the left at the 1st gate than it is at 2nd gate.
In this picture I've already bent it across to the passenger side a little but was worse than this.
Can anyone confirm if this looks normal?
Or is it supposed to be equal, ie same at 1st gate and 2nd gate?
IMG_20211121_161227.jpg

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
hmm, I have this same problem, but I have a MGW shifter. I wonder if I have the reverse lockout set improperly, but I can guarantee once per drive I have to start the car in third. I don't drive the car much (probably 1k miles in last 6 months), but 1st/2nd are an issue.

I'll have to dig in sometime, but I just don't have the time.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Funny, it happened twice today, once was the first shift after backing out of my garage, the second time was warm after I was leaving an office.
I did take the time to check and see if it was passing the gate to the left and jamming there and it was, so i think I have a linkage problem or an issue in the mgw shifter assembly/setup

Funny, it happened twice today, once was the first shift after backing out of my garage, the second time was warm after I was leaving an office.
I did take the time to check and see if it was passing the gate to the left and jamming there and it was, so i think I have a linkage problem or an issue in the mgw shifter assembly/setup
Hey Capt - check the MGW reverse-lockout pin and locknut. Given the description of the shifter moving left beyond the gate entry, I bet you can turn out the lockout pin a bit more and solve the issue.

TMO Supporting Vendors