The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 2013 Boss 302 SBG Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome to TMO, solid mods and great pics of a duynamite color! It always amazes me that there seems to be so few Red Bosses at events ( track, car shows, autocrosses ). Are your running any specific tires or rims at the HPDE events you attend? Assume, since you are in the Houston Metro that you usually run MSR Houston, but it also means you are reasonably close to COTA and NOLA?! Nice spot to be for great track time with easy driving to quality courses.

Feel free to ask questions on anything here, and post pics/videos when you hit the great circuits near your home.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Seabrook
I have been to MSR many times in the past. We were part of a karting team out of there. I plan to start coming out there. I live in seabrook. I have waited for wheels and tires as the last thing. I am contemplating a 18x10 wheels (Apex or Forgestar maybe). I am willing to listen to others. Sam

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You will get varying ideas on this site and you will be able to make a decision that best meets your needs. Since you were on a Karting Team I will assume you are fairly aggressive and if that is the case I and some others would probably suggest you go with an 18x11 Apex since the Mustang is severely undertired, in my estimation. More importantly , Blacksheep 1, the tire Guru for Phoenix Performance is also on this site and his extensive experience with the well known Aquilante Family and their huge racing successes, will echo that sentiment. To be honest it is actually the other way around where I echo his tire acumen and suggestions, ha. To add the cherry on top, he often helps out the Kohr Motorsports Team , so he does get around and he knows what works!!

I run a 18x11 with 315/30/18s , AZBoss does also , and DaveW has some major meats on his CAM C Mustang GT. Just a few of the folks running large rubber, but since tires are the single best mod to go faster ( yes, brakes are a close second ) it bears suggesting.

There are other schools of thought and they may be more what you are looking for , but the dang tires that come on the car from the factory are likely take offs from Schwinn, ha, ha.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Seabrook
Welcome to TMO, solid mods and great pics of a duynamite color! It always amazes me that there seems to be so few Red Bosses at events ( track, car shows, autocrosses ). Are your running any specific tires or rims at the HPDE events you attend? Assume, since you are in the Houston Metro that you usually run MSR Houston, but it also means you are reasonably close to COTA and NOLA?! Nice spot to be for great track time with easy driving to quality courses.

Feel free to ask questions on anything here, and post pics/videos when you hit the great circuits near your home.
Thanks Bill. I appreciate the note too. Sam

TMO Supporting Vendors