The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2015 Mustang GT PP Test Drive Impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

While I was getting the oil changed in my wife's Fusion today I braved the sea of starving car salesmen and checked out a new GT PP. Surprisingly after about 15 minutes one of the sales guys finally walks up to me and asked if I needed any help. I immediately ask if I can take the car out for a test drive. I was wearing a BMO t-shirt and as Grant will attest BMO shirts pull quite a bit of weight in the automotive world and the sales guy said sure let me get the key fob. ;D

After he pulls it out we take off for about a 15 minute drive. I took it out on I-80 and got up to speeds beyond what was posted. We then headed down a winding road and over some hills before we headed back to the dealer. Let me cut straight to the chase and say I was highly impressed with the way it drove and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Some more detailed information:

Interior - I've heard the interior is a lot nicer than the last iteration of the S197 and for the most part I agree. It has a fresher more contemporary look and everything is in the right spot. This car had most of the bells and whistles including leather and heated/cooled seats. It did not have Recaro's or the top of the line sound system but did have NAV. The new seats fit me well and look nicer with larger bolsters than the previous generation. One thing I heard was there was less plastic and what plastic there is was nicer. I thought there was about the same amount of plastic and that it wasn't really that much nicer if at all. Oh well. That was my biggest complaint of the S197 was the sea of cheap plastic. I liked the smaller and fatter steering wheel as well but there are so many buttons on the wheel it looked a bit busy. I also liked that your thumbs rest on leather and not metal like our wheels.

Exterior - other than the Fusion front end the car looks fantastic. The continuous side window gives the car a sleeker more contemporary look. The rear end looks aggressive with the rear wheel wells flared a bit for a great look. It's like they knew there were going to widen the front for the GT350. ;) The black plastic valance pieces tie in well with the rest of the car and give it a modern look. The car does look lower and wider than the S197. I don't care for black wheels in general and the PP wheels look busy and should be a PITA to clean when washing your car. The big brakes, especially the rear rotor, fill up the wheels nicely. Other than not being a huge fan of the front end the only thing I really don't like about the looks is the extractor vents on the hood. To me they don't flow with the rest of the car. I'm very glad the GT350 does not use them.

Driving - Wow. Smooth smooth smooth. The driveline feels much more refined compared to the S197 and I'm sure it will be well received globally. The clutch release is very high but other than that you just jump right in and go. I didn't get a chance to give the brakes a good test but they felt nice and firm. The engine is what you'd expect and pulls strong from down low. I jumped on is several times and it accelerates quickly. It's deceivingly fast as the thing is so quiet. First mod for most will be more open axle backs. One thing that really stood out was the shifting. From the crappy shifting of the MT-82 in the S197 it feels worlds better. Really it's a huge difference. The shifter was so smooth and precise with little effort needed that it reminded me of my 1993 300 ZX TT. Shifts like butter. I'm really glad Ford got this right on the S550. The ride was also very good yet the car still felt sporty and cornered relatively flat. The rear end never once felt out of line or jumped when hitting bumps. The IRS does make a noticeable difference in the ride quality on the street.

Anyway I was so impressed I'm now thinking I might need a GT350 sooner than I originally planned. ::)

IMG_4828_zpsd5ee241b.jpg

Not shown was the $5K ADM.
IMG_4829_zps07d026f2.jpg

My long legs had plenty of room.
IMG_4830_zps66b3ea42.jpg

They also had this bad boy on the lot for $32K. The drivers seat had a lot of wear so I'm guessing at least 30,000 miles on it.
IMG_4827_zps3f33f6c4.jpg

Seriously a $5K ADM on a GT? Are they slow coming out of production or something? I would have figured youbcoukd just order whatever you wanted at this point.

cloud9 said:
Seriously a $5K ADM on a GT? Are they slow coming out of production or something? I would have figured youbcoukd just order whatever you wanted at this point.
They aren't going to get ADM on the cars they have on their lot. To put this into perspective this is the same dealer that I tried to order my BOSS from and when they told me they couldn't take my deposit because they weren't sure how much ADM they would change, that for all they knew "it might be $100,000" I laughed and walked away. ::)

I drove the same car a month or so ago (GT PP) and had similar impressions....that's why I answered the 'GT350 ordering poll' with a 'order as soon as the order banks are open'...the 550 platform is excellent.

ADM's? dark ages. Rick (and others anywhere near the bay area) for your next Ford purchase let me introduce you to the folks at The Ford Store Morgan Hill. They're 'one price' -fair prices marked on the vehicle / no negotiating - and their prices are excellent.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
four-walling said:
Strange to have an ADM on the 2015 Mustang especially since Ford offers a $500 rebate.

If the dealership is using this car as a leader to bring folks in, an ADM makes sence

Better to have a car for people to drive and order additional vehicles.

Marketing

I understands no enjoys paying ADM, and I would like to say I never would; but if I did have to pay adm it certainly would only be on a zero mileage car, not one that everyone and their brother test drove. ;D

Here is my take:

1) Ford made a huge error in not getting the 2015 out in April as planned. They missed an entire selling season in the northern climes. For example, least 75% of Mustangs in CO are sold May-October. Not that CO is a big chunk of the Mustang market, because it isn't, but I suspect other northern regions are similar. Why does this matter? Because in that year gap in Mustang sales, the Camaro is one year closer (full details will be announced before summer, to further deter Mustang sales), Chrysler upped the ante with the Hellcat and the Challenger 392 Scat Pack, and Subaru got the new WRX/STi out the door (Subaru sells WAY more WRX/STi around here than Ford does Mustangs).

2) $42K for a Mustang GT? Am I the only one who thinks that is crazy? There are a LOT of cars in that price range that rock. In addition to the Scat Pack 392 and the STi, there are the VW Golf R/GTi, the BRZ/FR-S, BMW 235i, Audi TT, Nissan 370Z NISMO, Lexus RC350, BMW 3 Series. I'm a Ford fan and a Boss owner, but there is no way I could pay $42K for a Mustang GT over most of the cars in that list. Now granted, almost no one pays anywhere near sticker for a Mustang GT, but...$42K?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel