The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2016 Mustang GT, "The Plague" Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Pretty much did the same thing, good luck to you and your build, you're going to need it :D

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
What, your not going to name it the " Pandemic Pony, " ha? Good find and keep us posted on the build. Git er done before the middle of September and you can drag it up to Hastings, Nebraska for the " Fast Ford and Mustang Roundup!" ( www.racemph.com )

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lawton, OK
Nice find! I've been trying to do this for a few years but can't find one at a reasonable price.
I found it on Ebay, but I stumbled across it looking for parts. I tell folks all the time if they want to build a dedicated track car, start off with minimal up front costs and buy a wrecked but reparable car. I know people have their own budgets and preferences, but I have never understood people who fork out a large chunk of money on a GT350 or GT350R for the same purpose. I bought the car for $11K, then repaired it and I think I have under $15K in it total. I just ordered the roll cage, so this car will be coming apart soon.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lawton, OK
What, your not going to name it the " Pandemic Pony, " ha? Good find and keep us posted on the build. Git er done before the middle of September and you can drag it up to Hastings, Nebraska for the " Fast Ford and Mustang Roundup!" ( www.racemph.com )
My Calendar is now marked!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I found it on Ebay, but I stumbled across it looking for parts. I tell folks all the time if they want to build a dedicated track car, start off with minimal up front costs and buy a wrecked but reparable car. I know people have their own budgets and preferences, but I have never understood people who fork out a large chunk of money on a GT350 or GT350R for the same purpose. I bought the car for $11K, then repaired it and I think I have under $15K in it total. I just ordered the roll cage, so this car will be coming apart soon.

That's good logic for sure and now I wish I had done that. But, I think I might be typical of a lot of people's experience. I bought an '11 Mustang just because I'd never owned one. No intent to go back anywhere near a race track due to other more important life obligations going on. Life changed. The '11 brought back the feel of driving a performance car, but had too much luxo barge stuff on it. Bought a '16 S550 PP1 with zero options, liked it a lot more, much better handling car, but still no intent to track it. Life changed some more, obligations disappeared. My neighbour track rat talked me into taking it to the track and it began from there.....so innocent, just one afternoon at the track running a few laps, yet so tempting and irresistible. So I did it the hard way, converting a street car to a track focused though still street legal (sort of) car.
I wish I had started as you did, but life doesn't always take you in a straight line to where you think you want to be. For sure though yours is the better path.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lawton, OK
Man, I almost forgot about this build thread. I know it's been a while since I posted here, so here's a photo dump with an update. I've amassed a laundry list of parts to go on the car and given myself very little time to hang them. Up until last week, Plague was still a running and driving car. I finally got the bug to work on it and raised it off the ground on jackstands, pulled the wheels and tires off, evac'd the AC, and began gutting the interior. So now instead of one pile of parts, I have two. Many of you have been down this road before so I won't bore you with details, but once I have the interior gutted including the wiring, I'll start mocking up the cage. I also have engine work, suspension/chassis work, and a boatload of electrical work to do. Special thanks to the guys at Vorshlag for making sure I not only got the parts I needed but also the right parts that match the MCS suspension pieces. Sometimes it's better to phone in an order instead of via website.

20220219_140750.jpg20220219_140802.jpg20220219_141028.jpg20220221_092718.jpg20220221_092726.jpg
20220221_092736.jpg20220221_092756.jpg20220221_092809.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Plague, huh, looks to me like you got a case of " Carvid," haha! And that is what we will need in the future , a Car Video of all the wild stuff you have done after you get over your sickness, but it appears when you are done she is going to be one very healthy girl!!

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Lawton, OK
Just a quick status update, I slapped the Vorshlag/MCS suspension on in time for a local car show and displayed the car like this. Interior is still being cleaned out and prepped, engine will be coming out soon, and I just ordered 4 18x11 Apex SM10 wheels and 305/35 Nitto NT01's while both were in stock. MMR Diff cooler has been ordered as well.

20220507_173058[1].jpg

20220507_173108[1].jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors