The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 PP1 vs PP2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here's a good video review of the two cars. They liked the auto in the PP1 on track but not on the street. I was underwhelmed with the auto during my street test drive. The 4.4 second difference in lap times between the two cars can largely be attributed to the 305 square SC2 tires on the PP2.

Discuss:

US
I have put many miles on at gingerman and a 1:44 in stock trim is amazing. I run that in my BOSS with 285 square slicks on. Makes me want to switch cars! I like the body on the new ones.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

US
Gotta wonder how much the A10 hurt the PP1 too. Hate tests that are apples and oranges. I remain unconvinced that a conventional auto is going to be quicker than a manual in the hands of a competent driver.
I would agree to a point. But a well tuned 10 speed that downshift to the correct gear and that shifts really fast should keep the motor in the proper power band, and overall, longer in the peak power than a 6 speed manual. Depends on gear spacing etc too. But it theoretically could be faster.

I have put many miles on at gingerman and a 1:44 in stock trim is amazing. I run that in my BOSS with 285 square slicks on. Makes me want to switch cars! I like the body on the new ones.

I’m still learning my GT350 capabilities vs my old STI. I’m down to 1:45 with it at Gingerman but I left plenty on the table. Working on each corner and my new AIM solo2 will help a lot. Fast time there for the GT350R is like a 1:39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

US
The boss will lose at least one second probably two on the straight away due to low power. It also loses time in the off-camber extension due to no rear grip solid axle. With optimal conditions and sticker tires I don't think a stock Boss can do much more than a 1:43.

The boss will lose at least one second probably two on the straight away due to low power. It also loses time in the off-camber extension due to no rear grip solid axle. With optimal conditions and sticker tires I don't think a stock Boss can do much more than a 1:43.

Yep. 1:43 is not a slouch time by any means. Having a IRS and 526 Hp at the motor certainly gives the GT350 an edge.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We have a Silver PP2 in stock, and when considering the reviews I still think the Stangs suffer from stock camber settings for the front struts.I know my GT 350 really changed it's dynamics once I installed M&M Camber Plates......and the Sport Cups really shine with strong negative camber up front! 1 LE is a worthy, though ugly competitor, but always amazed how small changes on the Mustang seem to put it ahead on tracks in our area.

Last edited:

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
PP2 is hamstrung by its transmission. The MT-82D4 is a fine shifting unit but Ford basically removed 3rd gear from it and made an extra overdrive. I am swapping a 2017 Calimer prepped unit into my car this fall. Data from my 2016 car indicates a 3-5 second per lap improvement. At Watkins Glen cornering times are down .5 seconds per lap on average but times between straights are UP by 5.75 seconds. Much of this is time spent in the wrong part of the power band due to the missing gear.

PP2 is hamstrung by its transmission. The MT-82D4 is a fine shifting unit but Ford basically removed 3rd gear from it and made an extra overdrive. I am swapping a 2017 Calimer prepped unit into my car this fall. Data from my 2016 car indicates a 3-5 second per lap improvement. At Watkins Glen cornering times are down .5 seconds per lap on average but times between straights are UP by 5.75 seconds. Much of this is time spent in the wrong part of the power band due to the missing gear.

I have a 2018 GT PP1 with MT-82D4 trans, and I overtook my friend who was in a 2015 GT PP1 on the back straight at VIR. He was topping out in 5th gear at 135 mph and I was still in 4th gear hitting 145 mph. So I guess on tracks with long straights there is some merit to the D4's longer gearing.

Although I do generally agree it is annoying that Ford made the 1:1 gear 4th in the D4. I'd imagine this is a detriment in most cases.

I have a 2018 GT PP1 with MT-82D4 trans, and I overtook my friend who was in a 2015 GT PP1 on the back straight at VIR. He was topping out in 5th gear at 135 mph and I was still in 4th gear hitting 145 mph. So I guess on tracks with long straights there is some merit to the D4's longer gearing.

Although I do generally agree it is annoying that Ford made the 1:1 gear 4th in the D4. I'd imagine this is a detriment in most cases.

That doesn’t prove anything as it depends on your exit speed from the previous speed for one thing.

That doesn’t prove anything as it depends on your exit speed from the previous speed for one thing.

Ok, that's fair. I was behind him running pretty close, wasn't gaining ground or losing it before. I'd say we had similar exit speeds although he was in front of me so he hit the throttle earlier.

I do also have the gen 3 coyote which is higher HP/torque. He has performance upgrades and my car's engine is stock so the power gap isn't as big as two stock engines. However, there is a difference so this is certainly a factor.

I'm not trying to prove anything here, just throwing out my recent experience.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
One thing that I found plenty of magazines failed to mention about the 5th gen Camaro SS 1LE is that it was a very stiff car. 6th gen has Magnetic shocks so I don't think it's bad but I wouldn't be surprised if PP2 is softer in its stiffest setting than the SS 1LE in its stiffest setting. I haven't driven either, though, but I have driven base 6th gen SS and base S550 GT and the GT is far more comfortable.

Another thing is the Track Prep Chevy recommends for the SS 1LE. The owner's manual track supplement recommends -2 deg camber up front and -1.5 deg in the back. Ford doesn't provide that by the looks of things although I read the PP2 has a more aggressive factory alignment setting. Not sure what that is.

I think GM cares a lot about bragging rights (hence all the 'Ring official laps). Ford just wants to build a good, capable product that buyers enjoy without compromising day-to-day livability, at least that's my impression. Car and Driver noted, for instance, in their LL test of the GT350R that Corvette-spec SC2 tires stick like glue for a couple of laps then noticeably fall off. The GT350R-spec SC2 tires were much more consistent. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit the Camaro. I think the Camaro is ultimately a very impressive machine. I just always like to figure out how cars go faster (Mustangs or otherwise) and the above items stood out.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Having 4th as the direct gear isn't really the problem (the Magnum XL has 4th as direct). It's the MT82D4 putting that big 1.42 to 1.00 space between 3rd and 4th, where it used to be 1.32 to 1.00 in the original MT82. Even the 2 to 3 spacing is a bit wider in the MT82D4.

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors