The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 2019 GT Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Just put in the front sway bar. Reminded me of a Chinese puzzle. Then when everything was thread locked and torqued back to spec, I realized I ran the bar over the radiator hose! Undid and redid everything!

View attachment 66586
Now I'm about to change the mt-82 fluid. I have enough to do it all synchromesh or all 75w90 or a mix of both. Still undecided. I have read everything I could find and it seems to me what comes out most often is 2/3 gear oil and 1/3 synchromesh, the reverse Calimer cocktail. I will drain it and check again in here before I refill.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Gibsonia, PA
I'm a little surprised that you were able to get your 11" ForgeStar F-14's to fit under your front fenders with 305-30-19 Michelin Sport 4S's in the front. I have a 2017 GT and with the same wheelset and tires, I had to add -3.70 of camber to make sure they'd clear under compression.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
I'm a little surprised that you were able to get your 11" ForgeStar F-14's to fit under your front fenders with 305-30-19 Michelin Sport 4S's in the front. I have a 2017 GT and with the same wheelset and tires, I had to add -3.70 of camber to make sure they'd clear under compression.
Well, I think we need to use the term "fit" loosely. They poke, a bit like PP2 cars do. Here's a picture to give you an idea. That's the 19x11 ET56 Forgestars with 30mm spacers, stock GT shocks, H&R Super Sport springs and 2.2 degrees of camber. Never had any suspension travel issues and I'm at twenty 20 minute track sessions that included some kerbs and bumps. Doesn't look good but it works on my car the tire never touched the fender.

Screenshot_20210711-220512_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Gibsonia, PA
Yes, I have basically the same setup except for Steeda Sport lowering springs. The Steeda springs lower the car a bit more than an inch in the front and an inch in the rear. I did get some fender rub with mine looking the same as yours with some "poke". I had about negative 2.7 on the front when I got the rub on the passenger side, see photo. Here's where I'm at currently with more camber, driver's side. I did discover though that the first alignment shops rack was more than likely out of calibration. The second shop seemed to manage the process much better.

Driver's Side Front 06-11-21.JPG

Driver Side Camber Plate 06-11-21.JPG

Front Passenger Side before third alignment at Kozminski.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Yes, I have basically the same setup except for Steeda Sport lowering springs. The Steeda springs lower the car a bit more than an inch in the front and an inch in the rear. I did get some fender rub with mine looking the same as yours with some "poke". I had about negative 2.7 on the front when I got the rub on the passenger side, see photo. Here's where I'm at currently with more camber, driver's side. I did discover though that the first alignment shops rack was more than likely out of calibration. The second shop seemed to manage the process much better.

View attachment 66631

View attachment 66632

View attachment 66633
I see... This is strange... you got fender rub with more camber than me, and with the car sitting about 3/4 of an inch higher....I can think of only 3 possibilities...
1- you drive more aggressively (I'm a noob, first year driving on a road course)
2- the H&R springs are much stiffer and compensate for the shorter ride height
3- your first alignment shop made a mistake like you mentioned.
I have no idea what else it could be. I think the PP2 cars poke at least as much and have comparable ride height to yours. Could my springs (1-3/4" drop stated, but measured 2" once installed) have altered the geometry so much that the wheel can actually tuck inside the fender at max travel? I have no idea.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Gibsonia, PA
I think maybe the springs could be a factor. Maybe I should have gone with something stiffer, although, the Steeda's along with the lower profile tire provide a fairly stiff ride. There was a suggestion made at one point that I could have gone with GT 350R springs which I was told are about as stiff as the stock struts can handle. Anything more and it sounds like one is into a coil over setup.

Since currently I only participate in a few track day events a year so far, and most of the time with the car is spent on the road, considering anything much stiffer could be a mistake. Everything is a compromise depending upon what one's goals are. Just wasn't expecting to have this unanticipated issue to deal with.

Thanks for your feedback.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Look what Purolator brought me today. Now I have to find a way to install these without a lift, in a safe manner. I know how to adjust the sway bar end links for zero preload, but I don't see how I can do it with the wheels on. From under the car I think. I will see if I can find a place that will let me use a lift. I can't find a mechanics shop that understands what I'm talking about. More to follow.

20210723_150129.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
First time testing the BMR sway bar at ICAR today. Also first time with four 300TW tires (PS4S). I don't know how much of it is due to the hardware change but I beat my PB by two full seconds. Tire temperature within a few degrees inside vs out and even wear tell me I'm on the right path with pressure and alignment. First time also meeting our colleague with his magnificent 2017 GT350. I think it's the first time I see one from up close. It's beautiful, intoxicating. I remember when I selected a base GT for my track car I really wanted a Shelby, but I thought I would hold back too much if I tracked a rare car vs a pedestrian Mustang I could throw some suspension and wheels on and if I put it in the railguard I would not feel too bad. Kind of like the guilt you feel punching a man on the street in the face vs punching a supermodel in the face. It should be the same guilt, but it's not!
I have the impression the MT-82 can shift faster than the Tremec. Yes? No?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Last night I destroyed two things:
1. My PB at ICAR
2. My brakes
I have ordered a set of 6 piston Brembos to replace my standard GT brakes. Now that I am faster I understand why people are saying what they are saying about the standard brakes. When I started HPDE I thought they were fine and stopped the car very well. I ordered a set of Hawk HPS 5.0 pads and they worked fine. I got incrementally faster every time I went to the track. I now have 30 sessions in, about 515 track miles experience. Still very new, but now those front brakes are spent, and I don't want to get another set of pads for them, and another set of rotors after this second set of pads that I am likely to wear faster than the first set anyway. The money is better spent on the upgrade. I ordered from Steeda, the best deal I could find on non-rebuilt brand new product (the Bullitt kit, cheaper than the black caliper kit).
I look forward to seeing the difference it will make. I know I'm leaving a lot of time on the braking because I was trying to save them. I hope the upgrade will yield better performance but also cheaper consumables in the long run VS keeping the GT brakes and upgrading pads and rotors in attempts to make them work.
I did not order the PP master cylinder. I see many reports of people saying their brakes work awesome without. So I will try without, and order it if the car doesn't brake well.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Today I installed Optimum Performance GT4 studs on my front hubs. I used to have 32mm bolt-on spacers there. The members convinced me to do it the right way with the super long studs and the cool yellow nuts. Visions of doom at high-G corners should stop haunting my nights, we'll see. I like to know I only have 5 nuts per hub to worry about. I also like the open ended nuts: I have a quick visual appreciation if one is different from the others. Something impossible to see with closed nuts.
Tim at OP was quick to notice I did not order the right nuts and rectified my order. Total time between check-out and cross-border delivery to my door was very fast and I put the studs in today...

20210813_115833.jpg

20210814_000659.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
First track evening since installing the new GT4 studs up front and switching all wheel nuts to the yellow ones. Thanks to OP for sorting me out and excellent, smooth business transaction and fast shipping. I look at the thread engagement on the rear wheel studs (second pic below) and I notice the nut is not fully engaged. I don't worry about it since they were not engaged more with the original close-ended nuts but I might change those too.

Had a close call in the first session with my buddy coming full speed behind me in the esses while I was bogged down in traffic going much slower. He realized the speed delta just in time to avoid rear ending me. I did see the red car spinning off the track in my mirrors while I was managing my own traffic ahead in this no passing zone. No damage to anyone. I did improve PB by one full second. A great time at this track is 100 seconds. I started the season 20% above that, reduced the gap to 10% over the season, and still learning lots, enjoying every second of it. Gaining confidence in skills and trust in the car helps. Thanks to all who have helped me in here 💪💪

View attachment 67776

20210822_195522.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
Well, it's the end of the road for this car. I was on my was to an autocross competition on a hot Sunday morning, cruise control at 65 in the right hand lane, and this guy in a Dodge Caravan comes in the passing lane and t-bones me right in the driver's door. A good 30 degree angle if not more.
No one was hurt. The guy was so drunk he was staggering and mumbling (at 6:30 am!). Cops said I was lucky to be unhurt.

Sooo.... I've ordered a 2024 GT, MT, PP, Magneride to replace my wrecked 2019. Insurance gives me a new car value replacement. I'll be doing 19x11 wheels, springs, sway bars, brake deflectors and camber plates and I should be back in business!
I'm looking forward to seeing whether I'll notice a big difference in the handling.
Maybe I will drive it more on the street than I did my old one. It was so stiff it was unpleasant. I assume Magneride will smooth out the ride even with shorter springs.

Screenshot_20230720_112328_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230720_112319_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230720_112333_Samsung Internet.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel