The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2020 GT500 vs ZL1 1LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
Am I reading this correctly? Did they kill off the "GT350R" and add the Carbon Fiber Track Pack as a GT350 option to replace it?

I’ll be waiting for a nice used one and maybe a long time.

70B0D4E9-E351-48A8-BEF9-D7215033EFF2.jpeg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Imho, to a degree, there are quite a few who are not comparing the two, as they are different animals. There will definitely be some crossover, but there are quite a few buyers who see the Mustang as a vehicle more than two can enjoy. Sure we all realize the backseat is pretty darn tight, yet many buyers see that little bit of flexibility for more riders even though seldom used. Add in the folks who would not buy a Chevy over a Ford and there is plenty of room for both machines. Agree that the huge markups may turn some folks towards the Vette, except many GM Dealers are already wanting big markups there also -- so likely that is a wash.

Needless to say, I am just one happy camper we still have Manufacturers building fast machines in this day?!

fade back to the 80s, the Camaro Z28s were always more expensive than the Gt Mustang, but they had so much aftermarket support and owner loyalty that it didn't matter. I'm not sure any manufacturer enjoys that much support these days because of the tech, The new Corvette is supposed to be "tamper proof", and there is currently no plan to continue the Camaro after 2023. GM is claiming the Corvette will be in the $60K range, there it would be a direct competition for the Shelbys. However, I just don't see the Corvette coming across at that price unless the whole car is made in China...which..GM has built a foundry and at least 2 assembly plants in Asia so who knows.

Imho you are nuts to pay any adm. Been there done that and got burned. Never again. Nope.

They will mass produce the Vette and GT500.

You can now buy GT350s at list including the R. Z06s can be had cheap. Nearly every car that dealers were trying to squeeze ADMs on in the past 3 years can be had less adm now.

Patience for one at msrp.

A twin turbo Z06 mid engine under $100k will be a game changer especially in light of the fact they will compete in IMSA/FIA with the C8R. It will even steal the thunder from Ferrari, Porsche, the FGT (with its 6 cylinder) etc..

Chevy left plenty of room for styling updates and more aggressive design.

The GT500 with its front engined supercharged lump will not be in the same league imho.

At the same price point even though I bleed blue I think the Z06 will have it all over the Shelby. I may even want one

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors