The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Added upper/lower control arms, relo brackets and tires. Something is NOT right!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302 said:
Gone through the pictures and I don't see anything wrong with the parts I can see. The upper arm would be hard to take pics if you don't jack up the car or put it on a lift. How do you know the tires are rubbing? Are there any visible marks or cuts on the tires? Maybe you're hearing gear whine? Sometimes aftermarket parts transmit new noises into the cabin.

I swear the tires are rubbing. I can hear and feel them rub. It looks like there are white scuff marks on the sides of the tires as well but I can't be sure if those marks are from the rubbing or not. I appreciate all you have done to help. It will be hard to get a pick of the upper control arm but I'll try. The car will be in the shop before the week's end I can assure you.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If you do have access to a different set of tires for the rear, swap them and see what happens.

I would suggest front to rear but the 305s will not fit in front.

The solid ends on your PHB will transmit a lot of noise and vibration. Is that the noise, cause of your problems?? Probably not. May be.

The different design tires front to rear, DRs and street radials will also exadurate the the unstable feeling in the rear. Rears having increased sidewall flexing more than fronts.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
OK, when you went from Toyo 295/30/20 to MT 305/35/20 at the rear, tire size changed a lot. Your old
Toyo rear 27" tall and 11.9 " over all width. MT 28.9" tall and 12.5" over all width. Two inch's taller and a little over half a inch wider then what you had I think explains your rubbing and other issue's.
Your front Toyo tires are 26.1" tall and 10.2" over all width, paired with the MTs at 28.9" tall rear, almost 3" difference in height front to rear as she sits.

(I believe stock tire size for the Boss was 27.2" tall front and 26.9" tall rear for reference.)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I wonder if the Stability control is going nuts from the tire size differences? Does it handle any differently with the system off-off (hold brake and button for 7 seconds)?

Ok guys, went to the shop today. Here's the verdict:

All suspension parts were installed correctly. The problem was my Mickeys. They put the toyos back on and my car went back to being on rails without any rubbing (yes the Mickeys did rub a little but nothing major) or advanced track/stability issues kicking in. I was amazed how different tires can make the car ride. Does this prove that the tires were the culprit?? They didn't touch the suspension parts before putting the toyos back on either. Hmmmm.

I wasn't going to take my car into the shop until later this week but after being on the highway this afternoon I almost lost control...twice. At 80 mph, I was gradually going into a turn and the stability control kicked in! I couldn't believe it. The abs was going crazy. The car was fighting for a straight line while I had the wheel slightly turned. Just imagine what this feels like. It was scary.

In any event, you're probably wondering what I'm going to do with my Mickeys. Yep, I'm going to sell them. They have about 100 miles on them so pretty much brand new. I paid $380 per tire and am willing to take a minor hit if someone is interested. They are currently at the shop so they can be shipped out immediately if you or anyone you know wants them. The tires are Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II 305/35/20. They are currently on back order so they are tough to find. Please send me a message or email me at [email protected].

Thanks!!!

I have these same tires on my car, albeit the 19" version, with no ill effects. They do tend to hunt a little more trying to find a groove as they are generally wider than the grooves in the road. Hopefully you can figure out a better result as opposed to selling them as they are truly a good tire.

You could always save them for the track. Never mind, you'd need a roll bar installed also, your car would be in the 10's with those tires.

yankeehick you need to read this if your running the roush upper control arm with lca relocation brackets , http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?958091-LCA-brackets-car-slows-down

yankeehick said:
Ok guys, went to the shop today. Here's the verdict:

All suspension parts were installed correctly. The problem was my Mickeys. They put the toyos back on and my car went back to being on rails without any rubbing (yes the Mickeys did rub a little but nothing major) or advanced track/stability issues kicking in. I was amazed how different tires can make the car ride. Does this prove that the tires were the culprit?? They didn't touch the suspension parts before putting the toyos back on either. Hmmmm.

I wasn't going to take my car into the shop until later this week but after being on the highway this afternoon I almost lost control...twice. At 80 mph, I was gradually going into a turn and the stability control kicked in! I couldn't believe it. The abs was going crazy. The car was fighting for a straight line while I had the wheel slightly turned. Just imagine what this feels like. It was scary.

In any event, you're probably wondering what I'm going to do with my Mickeys. Yep, I'm going to sell them. They have about 100 miles on them so pretty much brand new. I paid $380 per tire and am willing to take a minor hit if someone is interested. They are currently at the shop so they can be shipped out immediately if you or anyone you know wants them. The tires are Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II 305/35/20. They are currently on back order so they are tough to find. Please send me a message or email me at [email protected].

Thanks!!!

If you plan to drag race your car, you will like the M/T's. Consider purchasing a 2nd set of wheels. That's what I did. Having said that, those 20's will never hook as good as 15's. I bought 19" and original wheels because I like the look of a stock car.
Once I wear out my 19's I plan to purchase a set of non matching 15's.

^^ I did this as well, bought a second set of factory rear rims for the ET Street II's. Again I'm quite happy with the way these tires work aside from pointing out the obvious fact that I now need an adjustable panhard bar.

TMO Supporting Vendors