The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AED Ghost Cam Tune

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No as in it will burn up your cats.

I wonder if the TK tune will shorten the cats life as well?

Shaun, I really enjoy reading your posts and your honest, straightforward responses. It is easy to tell that you have a great deal of maturity when it comes to tuning. I applaud your honesty and approach.

I have TK on our 2012 LS and really like it. Admittedly, driving it around town with TK is all grin and giggles because of the decel feature which induces quite a bit of snap, crackle pop that's not there on the normal key. (This is amplified with headers/exhaust mods.) The TK DOES have some small driveability issues occasionally - all of which are "don't cares" on the track which is why I suppose that Ford left them there. Lumpy idle is there and fun - but very watered down as pointed out by others. Track Key is "scarey lean", IMO for how hard we push this car on the track. Honestly, after dyno'g a few of these cars, I feel much safer with the richer, less aggressive timing of the black key.

Just recently added a 2013 LS to the stable. 1.) Do you think your tune is OK with the 2013's? 2.) What is cost of tune + SCT3 to load it?

I'm interested to give it a whirl on the 13 if you are.

I had a Stock 2012 Boss on the dyno with cut-outs open on the TK tune.
Exhaust smelled like sulfur.

Although no one has blown cats on my idle lope, it is FAR more aggressive than the TK lope.
I always recommend running an offroad pipe with any idle lope tune.

MA
I've emailed Shawn a couple of times, haven't pulled the trigger yet, but when I do I will go with him due to his professionalism. He has really been cool to my buddy who owns a 2011 5.0 auto. He has a 'beta' cam lope tune in it and it sounds SICK!

Regarding cats, I feel the TK tune will roast cats. I smell a lot of sulfur with the TK, even driving 'normal'.

I'll be going with LT's soon, just trying to decide on cats or no cats, that is the question, lol.

CoolTechLLC said:
Shaun, I really enjoy reading your posts and your honest, straightforward responses. It is easy to tell that you have a great deal of maturity when it comes to tuning. I applaud your honesty and approach.

I have TK on our 2012 LS and really like it. Admittedly, driving it around town with TK is all grin and giggles because of the decel feature which induces quite a bit of snap, crackle pop that's not there on the normal key. (This is amplified with headers/exhaust mods.) The TK DOES have some small driveability issues occasionally - all of which are "don't cares" on the track which is why I suppose that Ford left them there. Lumpy idle is there and fun - but very watered down as pointed out by others. Track Key is "scarey lean", IMO for how hard we push this car on the track. Honestly, after dyno'g a few of these cars, I feel much safer with the richer, less aggressive timing of the black key.

Just recently added a 2013 LS to the stable. 1.) Do you think your tune is OK with the 2013's? 2.) What is cost of tune + SCT3 to load it?

I'm interested to give it a whirl on the 13 if you are.

Thanks for the kind words.
I did a 2013 Boss recently and the video of it went viral yesterday.
It's a street racing video so I will not link it here, but you can find it on Stangtv.com and find the customer on SVTP in a thread with the video linked.
I encourage you to contact him for a more unbiased review of the tune. (he also has the idle lope).

MA
Shawn,

I did see that video and it is remarkable that a 444hp NA car smoked a 580 HP supercharged car, from a roll no less. That's what you mean when you say its all about getting the power to the ground, not some dyno queen number.

I have taken a real liking to road course action. I still am a drag racer at heart though, and will continue to use the car for both ( its best feature IMHO). Would you agree, unbiasedly, that your tune is safer than TK on a road course due to the richer A/F and reduced timing? I've never hammered a motor so hard as at Lime Rock a couple of weeks ago. It made me glad to know I had a factory tune, but if it is borderline unstable, how much advantage is it to toast a motor on a stock tune and deal with a warranty claim ( of which Ford is entitled to deny if the car is tracked).

Can you venture a guess as to why the TK tune is so lean and aggressively timed when it does not make more power than the normal tune? I would have guessed that the TK tune would be a little fatter for safety (what I used to do to my old car, but it was a turbo) rather than lean it out for no power gains.

I did thunder hill in my GT. It is much harder on a car than drag racing.
I'm crazy when it comes to proper fueling so I ran CA phase 3 race gas while at the road course. (97 octane)
I would have run E85 but could not find any fuel station close enough.

We tell all our customers to throw in some high octane when beating on the car. A little $$$ spent in race gas goes a LONG way vs buying an engine!

All of the NA Ford Racing tunes I've seen run lean with a lot of ignition timing.
I do not know why they did this....maybe they used a different fuel?

Shaun@AED said:
All of the NA Ford Racing tunes I've seen run lean with a lot of ignition timing.

I'm sure they know something I don't, but it makes me wonder what in the tune is holding the hp down if it is leaner and more timing... I don't know that much about tuning, just a little playing around on my old turbo car though.

A couple gallons of 100 per tank at the track has always seemed like cheap insurance to me, especially on CA's weak 91 octane.

CaliMR said:
Shaun@AED said:

I'm sure they know something I don't, but it makes me wonder what in the tune is holding the hp down if it is leaner and more timing... I don't know that much about tuning, just a little playing around on my old turbo car though.

A couple gallons of 100 per tank at the track has always seemed like cheap insurance to me, especially on CA's weak 91 octane.
The Boss does put the power down and I'm not sure it's all about measured hp #s. At Road America the last couple days I had the opportunity to 'drag race' all kinds of cars down 1/2 mile straightaways after catching them in the corners. I was suprised how well the Boss pulled against some of these cars. There were 4 CTS-Vs in the A/B groups (Think ZL1 guys ;)) One of them was race prepped with a full cage. After I would reel them in through the corners, they would give me a point by at the beginning of these long straights and usually NOT lift. Normally that would be a little irritating since you have to drag race them down the straight, but at RA they are SO long it's not that big of a deal. What SHOCKED me was that I would eventually pull them with my stock Boss (engine) on TK. Same thing with C6 Vettes and a C5 with a procharger. The C6 Z06s could pull me with their extra hp and big aero advantage obviously. Oh and there was that '01 Cobra with a 2.3L whipple and 14 psi of boost :eek:

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I really want to try others cam idle tunes but after this last one I am really worried about dropping that kind of coin on a tune I will never use. Is there anyone in the hampton area with a cam idle tune? I would like to try before I buy

Hi,
Just curious if the track key side of the pcm is accessible for an aftermarket tune for us that have elected not to have the track key tune installed? Wondering if the aftermarket is working on this.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel