The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AED Shaun Perry Windage tray install-Gen 3 5.2 Cross plane with GT500 pump and pan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Shaun from AED has put together a windage tray/crank scraper kit for all metal pan/pickup tube Coyote engines. As old time engine guys know, keeping the oil from whipping around on the crank causing aeration prevents both air in the oil (foaming) and a lack of steady return to the sump of a wet sump engine. The scarper assists in this by shaving the oil from the counterweights and rod caps and bolt heads. The mesh windage tray intercepts the oil that does remain on the crank bottom and the surface tension de aerates the oil and allows it to drop into the sump. The install goes as follows.
1) Remove oil pan and pickup tube. Remove OEM gasket tray. The 5 outer main bearing caps on the Passenger side are removed to allow fitting of the crank scraper. See Pics 7 and 8. The scraper has to be fit to each individual engine as there are variances in blocks, cranks and rods. Shaun has the scraper cut for OEM style Gen 2 5.0 Coyotes. Clearances are .010 for the counterweight sides and edges (I used .011") and .030" for the rod caps, bolts and sides. This is where most of my fitting work took place. Ensure you check each rod set, by rotating and checking in multiple positions. Also thrust the crank forward and back (end play) and check the counterweight clearances.

2) Once the scraper is fit, reinstall main cap bolts and torque to 10ft/lbs, then 30 ft/lbs and finally 90 degrees per Ford manual. If you have ARP main stud, follow their instructions for torque.

3) Fitting the gasket and tray. Place the gasket/windage tray onto the pan rails. Ensure the metal fingers on the passenger side fit into the drainback passages in the block, and that the gasket sits properly on the rail. Two of the plastic locator tabs on the engine side of the tray contacted the crank scraper. This is not common but two snips with diagonal cutters and mine fit perfectly at this stage so no filing of the fingers was needed. Next place the pump pickup tube in place. My pickup tube did interfere with the front two studs holding the windage screen, they were cut flush with the nut top and no longer bothered the tube.

4) Pan fitting. Thinking I had it made I removed the pickup and tray, applied the silicon sealant to the front cover and oil seal retainer to block joints and reset the gasket/tray. Then while placing the pan, I discovered the GT500 pan has a bump in that fouls against front 2 1/2" of the bent metal shield that helps shed oil back to the sump. Shaun said it can be bent to clear, I chose to slice it off at the bend line for the length required. At this point I recleaned the silicone off the block and gasket, reapplied the sealant and final fitted the gasket/tray and oil pan in place. Start all oil pan bolts to ensure gasket remains in line with the block holes the tighten per Ford spec. 10 inch/pounds, then 89 in/lbs and finally an additional 45 degrees. See attached pic for sequence.

This is an advanced level project in line with doing a timing cover/damper remove and replace. The kit is well made and includes detailed instructions. And understanding of engine assembly and clearances is assumed. I am pleased with it and knowing that the oil control will be much improved, providing reliability, and theoretically both a small horsepower increase and lowered oil temps it is worth the $500 shipped cost that i paid for it.

If I missed anything or if there are questions please chime in, there are no stupid questions, only questions stupidly unasked.
Steve
Oh by the way, if you are planning on doing this job, do it exactly as I show here, on an engine stand, making sure to clean any parts that were trimmed or filed before putting them back on the motor.
Pan torque.jpgtray1.jpgtray2.jpgtray3.jpgtray4.jpgtray5.jpgtray6.jpgtray7.jpg

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
This is awesome.

I want to dig in more, but real quick note - on the Oil Pan m6x1.0 bolts - the torque setting is good for 1-2 times before the stretch becomes an issue. If someone has had their pan off more than once (or just in general), I recommend replacement of the bolts - they're only a few dollars and beats digging out the extractor kit.

W714963-S437 x3
and
W714962-S437 x11

(I've been using some generic ARP m6x1.0x25 bolts in place of these

Utah
I might be installing one this weekend if it comes on time. Thanks for the write up. Was your engine already out of the car? I’m planning to do this in car knowing there will be challenges, but thinking it will be way less work than taking the motor out.

I’m also installing the Moroso pan.

Other questions sure to come…

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I might be installing one this weekend if it comes on time. Thanks for the write up. Was your engine already out of the car? I’m planning to do this in car knowing there will be challenges, but thinking it will be way less work than taking the motor out.

I’m also installing the Moroso pan.

Other questions sure to come…
Rod, my engine is a brand new build that is out of the car. If you are doing this job with engine in, you have to have it on a lift at a minimum, doing this on jackstands would be insane. Now consider you will need to support the engine from above and remove the K member to remove and replace the pan alone. Then consider with the trial fitting and filing of the scraper and tray parts that gravity will be working against you and you will have residual oil dripping down on you and in your face etc. It will also be dark under there, no matter the lighting it will be difficult to see what you are doing. Best advice, pull the engine and put it on a stand you will be happier in the end. Good luck with the install.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel