The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aftermarket steering columns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
Hi all -

Didn't see anything on this yet - so hoping to start a discussion. Has anyone installed an aftermarket steering column? I do not plan to retain the stock steering column and mount, so looking for aftermarket options. I'd like to reuse my existing Sparco wheel and NRG quick release, but open to options. I see options that only cost a couple hundred and then stuff like the Woodward Steering kits http://www.woodwardsteering.com/PDF/8. Safety Steering Columns and Quick Releases.pdf

Old mustang but its no different.. All you need is to do a firewall bearing and some sort of support from the dash bar. My column ends before the fire wall, then a u joint and regular 3/4 steering shaft passes through the fire wall. This way it can adjusted if needed, though mine is more or less fixed.

IMG-5903a.jpg

Last edited:
like the illustration, having 2 joints in the column will also insure it will collapse on impact, I know it's a "safety" column, but before these came along, the smart guys ran 2 joints.

TX
Old mustang but its no different.. All you need is to do a firewall bearing and some sort of support from the dash bar. My column ends before the fire wall, then a u joint and regular 3/4 steering shaft passes through the fire wall. This way it can adjusted if needed, though mine is more or less fixed.

View attachment 83995
So if I understand right, this setup has two joints (one before firewall and one after)? That's ideal, IMHO.

What brand is yours? Do you remember by chance?

So if I understand right, this setup has two joints (one before firewall and one after)? That's ideal, IMHO.

What brand is yours? Do you remember by chance?
Yes , it's really a 3 joint system if you include the connection from the rack to the steering servo. But most would just need two unless you use a remote servo power rack like I have. This is what I have in the firewall, simple bearing that allows quite a bit of misalginment:

Here is the column and it shows that style firewall bearing as well :

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
On the C5 race car we built in 2004 coleman racing made this mount. I can't find it any more, I liked the triangulation and easy dash tube mount. Check out the mechanical roller throttle pedal, it worked surprisingly well for adding smoothness.
16960104477_5a0b03631e_c.jpg

17165960862_61824f886c_c.jpg

Last edited:
TX

View attachment 83995
Unrelated note - what did you end up doing for a trans cooler on that HGT? It needs an external pump as well, right?

Unrelated note - what did you end up doing for a trans cooler on that HGT? It needs an external pump as well, right?
I have a stack oil cooler setup that I am going to use for my diff / trans (i got this with a different race box I bought so I am not sure the specifics, used nascar stuff). Probably mount it through the floor somewhere and feed with naca ducts.

I plan on using a Tilton pump and just having it kick on / off at specified temps.

IMG_20200919_140948.jpg

TX
Justed wanted to update that I've got my aftermarket setup installed. Actual install was pretty easy and straightforward once I got the parts list together. Thanks @navseng for the lead on sweet manufacturing. I assembled a kit from Pitpal - cost was about $650 all in.

Sweet manufacturing column saves over 15lbs compared to OEM. Only reuses OEM EPAS and the ujoint that connects the shaft to the steering rack. Steering rack structure start at the top is sweet manufacturing adjustable steering column to adapter (spline to smooth 3/4 DOM tubing) to 3/4 DOM tubing through firewall flange bearing to u joint. U Joint adapter 3/4 tubing to DD rod. DD rod at OEM ujoint needs to be modified to fit - basically ground flat on one side and then recess for bolt on the other.

IMG_1451.jpegIMG_1447.jpegIMG_1453.jpeg
IMG_1460.jpegIMG_1461.jpeg

Here's my Pit Stop parts list:

Sweet 1-Hole Black Aluminum Column Clamp
Sweet 1-Hole Black Aluminum Column Clamp
SKU: SWE405-10205
Quantity: 1
Final Price: $24.97
Sweet 6-3/8 Black Aluminum Dash Bracket - (Pair)
Sweet 6-3/8" Black Aluminum Dash Bracket - (Pair)
SKU: SWE405-10215
Final Price: $93.97
Sweet Firewall Flange Bearing
Sweet Firewall Flange Bearing
SKU: SWE405-50003
Final Price: $31.97
Allstar Performance Seamless D.O.M. Steering Shaft - 5 Ft. Length x 3/4
Allstar Performance Seamless D.O.M. Steering Shaft - 5 Ft. Length x 3/4"
SKU: ALL22190
Final Price: $27.99
Sweet Steering Coupler - 3/4- 20 Spline x 3/4 Smooth - Sweet Column, Woodward, Allstar
Sweet Steering Coupler - 3/4"- 20 Spline x 3/4" Smooth - Sweet Column, Woodward, Allstar
SKU: SWE301-30160
Final Price: $13.97
ididit Shaft 3/4 DD - 18
ididit Shaft 3/4 DD - 18"
SKU: IDI3000409418
Final Price: $36.00
Sweet 18 Collapsible Steering Column
Sweet 18" Collapsible Steering Column
SKU: SWE405-10001