The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Alternator? Battery? Hopefully not another GT350 electrical nightmare!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey there! Against my better information, my 2018 GT350 got put away without a battery tender, driven only once monthly with a less than one year old low quality battery I sourced in Europe.
My buddy who is housing the car told me of electrical glitches, battery wouldn't hold charge, etc- no surprise, I knew I needed to get a AGM battery. Anyway, two different local shops have checked with a voltmeter and told him it's the alternator. Car has 19k miles. I bought a new battery (Odyssey Battery 96R-600). Friend learned alternator is 500$ part and it's buried, so hours of labor. Should I ask him to install new battery and drive/retest? I will of course get new alternator if required, but seems low miles for failure..

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
My battery died last winter while in storage, after getting a "Charging System Service" message on the dash in October last year after an 8h drive. Suspecting the alternator is on its way out as well.

Mine is a 2017 GT350 with 25000 miles. I haven't had it checked by the shop yet but expecting the alternator to be the cause as I've put a new battery in and got that same message on the dash again a few days ago.

Trusted mechanic on a call told me the brain of the car detects failing battery and low voltage read is spurious; don't condemn/replace alternator before new battery install; car may possible need to "re-learn" (with OBD reader, maybe reprogram) to teach the electrical system that everything is ok after battery install. He thinks it is likely not the alternator- hope he is correct..

Trusted mechanic on a call told me the brain of the car detects failing battery and low voltage read is spurious; don't condemn/replace alternator before new battery install; car may possible need to "re-learn" (with OBD reader, maybe reprogram) to teach the electrical system that everything is ok after battery install. He thinks it is likely not the alternator- hope he is correct..
Neew battery didn't solve problem. New alternator did. No fried wire harness or other explanation. Nice when all the electrons go where they should!

TMO Supporting Vendors