The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aluminum 1 piece driveshaft - experiences good/bad/ugly by brand?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
So did my first track day since putting this driveshaft on and pretty happy with the results, was able to get down to a 1:34.5 which is a new personal best, had about half a dozen laps between 1:34.5 and 1:34.7, and two of them were predicted at 1:34.2 but got blown by traffic in the last 2 corners. I did not expect it to make that much difference in lap times.

And the downside is the clunk is back! I guess the thing was just tight when it was first installed and now that it's had some hard use it is doing pretty much what the old one was doing. Dang!

Sorry to hear that, but the old irs units had a clunk aas well.
Known throughout the world as the
" cobra clunk"
I know, I'm raising the dead again..lol

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Sorry to hear that, but the old irs units had a clunk aas well.
Known throughout the world as the
" cobra clunk"
I know, I'm raising the dead again..lol
Yeah, definitely raising the dead! That's so long ago I don't even notice the clunk anymore, so much other sound deadening has been taken out since then that the car is just one big noise machine at speed.
I often wonder how guys in full on race cars ever hear anything weird over the general mechanical din.

Yeah, definitely raising the dead! That's so long ago I don't even notice the clunk anymore, so much other sound deadening has been taken out since then that the car is just one big noise machine at speed.
I often wonder how guys in full on race cars ever hear anything weird over the general mechanical din.
It's the change in that noise that they hear, it's almost like the mind relegates all of that into a white noise until something changes.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Lowering doesn't impact driveshaft angle on S550 cars. Half shafts from the diff to the wheels sure, but not driveshaft from tranny to diff. Just want to throw that in there for anyone reading this whole thread like myself.
Very true, S550 with IRS keeps the same juxtaposition for trans/diff.

Unlike the S197 chassis with a live rear axle which when lowered changes the Pinion angle.

Edit to add this: I will say this about a one piece aluminum DS, it remains on my top 3 list of mods. On my Boss 302 it saved about 40-50 Lbs. of rotating mass, which is significant.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Wisconsin
Been looking at this for about a year and finally pulled the trigger on the DSS aluminum. Was between this and getting a tune and figured I don't need more HP at the moment, just use the exisitng ponies more better. Also hoping for a better overall driving experience.

I swear there was a Ford performance option but couldn't locate it. Anyway, will update after what hopefully is a smooth install.

TMO Supporting Vendors