The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Amsoil 5w-50

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was reading a threwad on the SVT forum where they are saying Motocraft 5W-50 synthetic shears down to 30-40 weight oil after 1500 miles and the new Amsoil 5W-50 holds up much better. Is anyone running Amsoil 5W-50?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1051396-Amsoil-Signature-Series-5W-50-meets-Ford-WSS-M2C931-C-recommendation

"Correct, Amsoil AMR 5W-50 has API SN levels of ZDDP. Even though it has the same levels as Motorcraft, Amsoil AMR 5W-50 has 40% lower NOACK Volatility (evaporation). With less lubricant evaporation, you have less contamination in your engine. This makes AMR more catalyst friendly than Motorcraft."

It's supposed to be a higher quality than Castrol since it is a group IV oil. It is definitely more expensive and is never on sale like M1 or the Castrol Edge. I have a fill of Amsoil 5W50 right now, changed it out just before putting her away for the winter. To me, the biggest indication that it will be beneficial over the others is the difference in cold viscosity (and thus lower oil pressures during warm up).

Off topic, but there may be bad news for M1 sales... I noticed most vendors changed their M1 sales to mail-in rebate and since then NAPA has not placed M1 on sale again. So I may have to look for other deals soon.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
WinterSucks said:
It's supposed to be a higher quality than Castrol since it is a group IV oil. It is definitely more expensive and is never on sale like M1 or the Castrol Edge. I have a fill of Amsoil 5W50 right now, changed it out just before putting her away for the winter. To me, the biggest indication that it will be beneficial over the others is the difference in cold viscosity (and thus lower oil pressures during warm up).

Very good point, Less wear on initial start up.

Thanks,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Just realized I said I used Amsoil 5w50...I meant the 10w40...doh! Anyways, Amsoil is easily DOUBLE the cost of Castrol, but I firmly believe you get what you pay for.

I have made up my mind that for normal and some aggressive driving, the Amsoil 10w40 is the way to go. It might be overkill, but I have no doubt it is better. Does it decrease wear by a measurable amount? Enough to make the cost worth it? I have no idea. The only reason I might use a 5w50 is when I finally get to a track again since the 10w40 might not have enough enough resistance to heat. I will keep reading to see if anyone figures that out this summer. I have a feeling that a cheap Castrol fill and dump for a track day/weekend might be a good solution, too.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
WinterSucks said:
The only reason I might use a 5w50 is when I finally get to a track again since the 10w40 might not have enough enough resistance to heat. I will keep reading to see if anyone figures that out this summer.

For those who aren't aware, it was 'proven' that 10W-40 was not viscous enough for high RPM track use on a hot ~85ºF day.

My opinion and recommendation is not to use it at the track unless temps are relatively cool and/or you don't drive hard at all.

I've already said more than I care to on the subject, and I think Amsoil bothering to make and sell the 5W-50 confirms my opinion.

Grant 302 said:
For those who aren't aware, it was 'proven' that 10W-40 was not viscous enough for high RPM track use on a hot ~85ºF day.

My opinion and recommendation is not to use it at the track unless temps are relatively cool and/or you don't drive hard at all.

I've already said more than I care to on the subject, and I think Amsoil bothering to make and sell the 5W-50 confirms my opinion.

^^^ This.

Grant, you've weighed in on this subject? I can't imagine where. lol. ;)

Well done sir.

Grant 302 said:

Awesome, thanks! I forgot they recently came out with the 5w50.

I'll always use the Motorcraft 5w-50. I've been to several speed shops, talked to countless track guys and drag racers and Motorcraft is perfectly fine.
If you beat up your boss on the track all day your going to change the fluids anyway at the end of the day so really does it matter if one shears a little more than the other ?
I'm over 620 rwhp and on the days i beat the crap outta my boss like a rented mule ( like i have from day 1), i change the fluids out. I'm nearing 20k and havn't had a lubrication related failure yet so for me, no reason to switch. I'll stay with what works.

If there is anyone out there that knows of a complete failure due to the OE oil they were using, please let me know and i will consider an alternative.

Kind Regards,
Rob

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel