The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Another 2005 Mustang GT build Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’ll be out there running. I agree with you I have been locked in the house too long and just happy I have a place to run. I’ll come find you next weekend.

With all tracks being on hiatus I took on a couple of projects that won’t make me faster but I like the way they look.

I’ve never been a fan of the dumbo mirrors that came on the 05-09 cars. I fit these 2012 mirrors on with the blind spot glass and it looks 100 times better.
774DE2DB-CB98-48EA-978B-54AF98B057F2.jpeg

The aim solo 2 DL plugged into the OBD2 port does so much more than just read track times. I made a mounting option that still is very visible yet returns my full range of vision by not mounting it on the windshield.
35AE5479-3817-4B87-A6A6-BEFA108A53EE.jpeg

I’ve made a few changes to the car including adding a power steering cooler and new pump before heading to the optima ultimate street car event at willow springs raceway. It was my first time running big willow and although it was fun, it’s a track where you have to commit and let them hang a bit. I’m still learning the car and it’s showing improvements every time I take it out.

I am running 295/40-18’s squared the grip is great but I’m curious to see the handling differences if I drop down to a 275/35-18. I would obviously be sacrificing grip but I’m not sure if it would be too much of a loss with the power output of the 3V. The difference in weight would roughly be 6 pounds of rotating mass per wheel with the change.

7031AC2D-B324-4463-8A86-CC40864F680E.jpeg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Why go smaller , as most of us ( along with the Tire Guru Blacksheep 1 ) know the car is often under tired , and though the power is down some with a 3V, the car is still reasonably large and heavy. I would want to go the other direction, with even larger than the 295s , but as you noted the grip is up and I would imagine you get the power down even better?!

That’s true I guess it’s just an experiment to see if lighter= faster exit speeds without sacrificing noticeable grip. Along with turn in “feel” by losing some side wall with a 35 series vs a 40.

The cost of the tires isn’t a variable that comes to play with the experiment as I have access to the tires at no cost. I’ve been torn between the two for some times as the alternative to squeeze a 305/30-19 is new wheels which is an expense.

Why go smaller , as most of us ( along with the Tire Guru Blacksheep 1 ) know the car is often under tired , and though the power is down some with a 3V, the car is still reasonably large and heavy. I would want to go the other direction, with even larger than the 295s , but as you noted the grip is up and I would imagine you get the power down even better?!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heck, if you are running Falken's, why not go to 315/18s with the 615K+s? Be interesting to see if the RT660 comes out with more sizes like the rumors suggested as it got pretty good reviews when Tire Rack tested them.

I think a lot of folks would also be interested in your assessment of the Falkens ( as it appears that is what you are running), since the 615K+ tire does not show the initial grip of the RE71, BFG Rival S 1.5, or A052s, but some wonder if they don't stay more consistent as a track tire?

The fun part of tracking today, is we are having a tire war that is even more competitive than a few decades back. More players mean more variety and oft times the trick to beating your friends is not the extra HP, the new exhaust , the tune, etc., it is having the hot ticket tire wise.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
The fun part of tracking today, is we are having a tire war that is even more competitive than a few decades back. More players mean more variety and oft times the trick to beating your friends is not the extra HP, the new exhaust , the tune, etc., it is having the hot ticket tire wise.
It definitely seems like a great time to be a track enthusiast.

In full transparency I work for Falken and have knowledge in the testing from tire rack as well as the new testing that’s coming out in the next few weeks.

The 315’s is an option but I’m currently have 10.5 wheels which would work but I’d prefer to run them on 11’s (more money spent on a new set of wheels which I’m trying to avoid).

The 615’s are great for someone at my skill level as I like to call myself the mid pack champion. But in reality the 660 is just a better tire overall with the lap times proving it in both autocross and track. The 275’s will be one of the first of the “large” sizes coming out and I have a suspicion that even if I’m giving up width the new tire in a 275 that realistically will measure out to be a 285 will out perform my current tires.

I am also spoiled with the large OD of my 295/40’s matched up with 3.55’s as the gearing is almost leave it and forget about it with how much MPH you can get out of third gear.

Heck, if you are running Falken's, why not go to 315/18s with the 615K+s? Be interesting to see if the RT660 comes out with more sizes like the rumors suggested as it got pretty good reviews when Tire Rack tested them.

I think a lot of folks would also be interested in your assessment of the Falkens ( as it appears that is what you are running), since the 615K+ tire does not show the initial grip of the RE71, BFG Rival S 1.5, or A052s, but some wonder if they don't stay more consistent as a track tire?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Say hello to David C. for me and glad to see Falken getting even more aggressive in the past few years. I think there are folks out there hoping for a 295, 305, or 315/18s in the RT660s and with competition pushing the 305/19s it shouldn't be too long before that size pops up. Kind of figured you might be with Falken and I know many here would appreciate any insight you are allowed to give? We all know there is plenty of information that must be kept in house and non disclosed, but when you can share this is a receptive crowd.

I have mentioned that the 315/18 615K+ ,might be a solid Track Tube since it heats up a bit slower. That may not be conducive to an autocross , but for HPDEs , Time Trials , etc. a longer cycle of consistent temps is highly desired.

Thanks for posting and we all will be looking forward to your comments, knowledge and foresight.

I made a change to the new Falken RT660 over the weekend and noticed an immediate change in turn in, grip and responsiveness compared to the RT615k I ran previously. My track time will slow down a bit as we enter the dog days of summer so I’ll pass the time doing autocross. One thing I did notice is how substantially taller the RT660 is compared to the 615k+, both 295/40-18 unmounted.

07D5370B-3A94-4D66-9210-98ADBEA12C1C.jpeg
AFE4434F-BDAC-439C-88DF-233B324FE9CC.jpeg

Do you know when Tire Rack is going to start offering the larger sizes? Their current offering is no where near what’s listed for sizes on the Falken website.

Depending on what size your looking for tires will start rolling in late summer and early fall. COVID shut down factories in Japan for a while like everything else in the world and created backlogs in production timelines.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Car looks mean on the new rubber. Appreciate your answer on availability as I know Dave C. and I chatted about a 315/18 being available and opening up another serious tire for CAM C. We will be interested hearing more and more from you on your continuing impressions on the new Falken. Pretty cool to see Falken really getting back into the Comp Tire business as they were a tire to reckon with in years past. The 615K+ spec series was a good move , but the more responsive and stickier 660 is what was needed for the Cone War Campaign.

TMO Supporting Vendors