The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Another 2005 Mustang GT build Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I'm curious how these will compare to NT01s....
Selfishly I hope they’re somewhere between the Rival S and RS-4’s, leaning towards the RS-4’s longevity for road course duty. $1500+/set for the Rival S for HPDE use is getting old when they wear quickly, and the Hankooks are hardly ever available.

I ran Laguna Seca yesterday for the first time and despite the traffic on track I had a blast and the car ran great. I need to address brake pads and clean the car up a bit but other than that I’m in love with this thing.
BC505778-CAE1-4C10-B760-51CB7AE6D1CE.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I ran Laguna Seca yesterday for the first time and despite the traffic on track I had a blast and the car ran great. I need to address brake pads and clean the car up a bit but other than that I’m in love with this thing.
@Jbrad, how many track days on the RT660’s now, and what are you seeing for wear and hot weather traits? I see some of the tire dealers are showing the larger sizes available now and the price points are very attractive!

So far so good but full transparency I don't usually run track days in the summer as I am anti driving in heat. I was in Pikes Peak raceway last weekend for a grid life event and the tire held up really well in 95 degree heat time attack in both lap times and wear characteristics.

@Jbrad, how many track days on the RT660’s now, and what are you seeing for wear and hot weather traits? I see some of the tire dealers are showing the larger sizes available now and the price points are very attractive!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Depending on what size your looking for tires will start rolling in late summer and early fall. COVID shut down factories in Japan for a while like everything else in the world and created backlogs in production timelines.
@Jbrad any insider updates on availability of 315/30-18? America’s Tire has them listed on their website now, so I stopped by the local store to see what the lead time is. They didn’t know and said they had to call Falken directly to find out — been waiting on a call back since Tuesday now.... Much rather just order them from Tire Rack, but still not listed on their site. This brand new stack of 18x11 Apex EC-7’s can’t wait much longer!!

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
@Jbrad any insider updates on availability of 315/30-18? America’s Tire has them listed on their website now, so I stopped by the local store to see what the lead time is. They didn’t know and said they had to call Falken directly to find out — been waiting on a call back since Tuesday now.... Much rather just order them from Tire Rack, but still not listed on their site. This brand new stack of 18x11 Apex EC-7’s can’t wait much longer!!
Discount Tire also has them listed but not available. Chad Ryker already has a set to test so it can't be long.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
When I googled "America’s Tire" Discount Tire came up. I believe "America's Tire" is discount tire in California.
That’s absolutely correct - same company. There’s another chain here named Discount Tire Centers, so they changed it up when they entered the market. Not to be confused with American Tire Depot though...🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
@67GTA 315/30-18 start rolling in the next four weeks with the big production orders coming in mid October.

I have a few sets already to which one I gave to Chad Ryker to test with good results in a autocross setting.

I changed the car up a bit getting a second set of wheels and dropping down to a 275/35-18 RT660 and18x10 Enkei RPF1’s netting a weight savings of ten pounds per corner. Combined it with a ford performance aluminum drive shaft and the car is a lot more responsive in both cornering and exit speed. I’m running out of things to do the car which is a good place to be as all I have planned is paying for track time, brakes and fluids.

0E28A0C8-D23B-4691-BC00-06FBA5809681.jpeg

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I changed the car up a bit getting a second set of wheels and dropping down to a 275/35-18 RT660 and18x10 Enkei RPF1’s netting a weight savings of ten pounds per corner. Combined it with a ford performance aluminum drive shaft and the car is a lot more responsive in both cornering and exit speed. I’m running out of things to do the car which is a good place to be as all I have planned is paying for track time, brakes and fluids.

View attachment 59168
Jbrad, remind again, where are you in CA - the Bay Area?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
s550's are bad azz, but I still love this classic body style.

It’s been a while since I updated this but the car has been going through some changes before hitting the track in a few weeks.

I opted to go with the 2011 whitline UCA with Mac C bushings and BMR mount. I also installed a 2014 GT500 diff bushing to finish out a nice street/track set up.

I also picked up my third set of wheels this time it’s 19x11 Titan 7 wheels wrapped in 305/30-19 Falken RT660’s. Hopefully I can get some seating in the car soon to see how different the car is with the changes.

C804BF7B-48B7-4624-9CFC-056251F086E1.jpeg
70E2C4FD-5B37-43EE-88A2-C4D5070D7756.jpeg

Those are some gorgeous wheels!

What's the difference in the GT500 bushing vs the stock one? Where did you source it from?

Thanks. You cant go wrong with forged 19x11's that weight 19 pounds each.

The GT500 diff bushing actually came up on TMO a couple of times which made me do more research. With the power/torque the 13-14 GT500's came with the bushing has a higher durometer with less cross sectional rubber. It's a good compromise between a more hardcore set up and poly (which most people advise to stay away from). The OD of the bushing is the same which made the swap straight forward.

Plus its only a few bucks more than the 05 OEM bushing. The part number is DR3Z-5A638-A and can be had for $31 on Tasca.

TMO Supporting Vendors