The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Another engine failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Illinois
My 2020 GT350 Chassis L1483 dropped #8 valve the other day.
No oil consumption, no ticking, no bangs, felt it bog down and coasted to the side of the road and that was that.
Got it pushed into a trailer and took it the dealer.
New long block to be delivered tomorrow.
Only 1900 miles.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Illinois
They said there was 3 long blocks in the region and they were surprised. Should have it Friday.
Showed me a Transit van and a Raptor they've been waiting months to put back together.
I did normal break in for 1500 miles, then 400 track.
I did three oil changes during this time and measured each amount taken out.
My VIN was not in the timing chain window, but had it checked anyway.
They said it was not a factor.
I spent an hour this morning with the mechanic who will be doing the work and they let me back in the bay to look at it.

Very sorry to hear this!

Interesting that they said the cam chain tensioner was not a factor since a dropped valve is pretty much the exact symptom that owners have reported about when their engine failed due to the tensioner not being "activated" properly. Hmmm. Had you visually checked yours through the oil fill port to see if it was popped up like it should have been?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Illinois
Thats not to say the secondary tensioner was activated, Ford simply said in their recall that they assumed the 2nd one was if the 1st one was activated.
The builder could have had a brain fart or missed that part of the building class.

TMO Supporting Vendors