The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another Engine rebuilt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I hope Capt is right about the lifter retainers. Doesn’t look like chain or ring parts to me and sounds like they were attached to the plug magnet.

Good luck with the tear-down. I hope most of it is salvageable.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
73d474094676ef76016a85d3cdd0211c.jpg

Hopefully this is helpful. The clips aren’t critical, but not great to find them on the oil plug. In my case no issues with lash or lifter priming, and despite the broken clips on two lash adjusters/roller followers everything was in its place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Distraction, for my own info, the end of the clip fell off and made it to the pan, did that result in a valve train "tick" from the rest of the piece flogging around on the rocker?

sorry.."FOLLOWER"

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Captain Distraction, for my own info, the end of the clip fell off and made it to the pan, did that result in a valve train "tick" from the rest of the piece flogging around on the rocker?

sorry.."FOLLOWER"

I don’t think anything particularly audible over the million other noises since the rest of the clip is captured by the lash adjuster assembly. Though I have one or two completely missing the clip and didn’t find exact matching debris on tear down. I’m sure it was there, or in the mesh for the pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
the clips are just assembly clips that hold the lash adjuster to the roller follower. if the roller followers show no signs of stress or unusual wear, I'd imagine they can be reused. The lash adjusters however are filled with oil, so I'd consider replacing them in a motor rebuild, given that debris could get stuck in their internal reservoir. For the clips, some remove them before install to ensure they don't later end up in the pan, many don't (I leave them on for my builds).

Grant 302

the clips are just assembly clips that hold the lash adjuster to the roller follower.

I don't know, but I suspect that they provide some amount of retention property under valve loft conditions. Older 4 valve heads did have some problems with the followers popping out of place. The clips may help keep them in.

Got my engine back last week along with the old parts

Here's how piston 2 and 7 looked like. They're the worst but all of them has the same damage. It's on the exhaust side of the piston

49270512666_634105a455_h.jpg
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i4Sg2G]URL].jpg [/url]

Grant 302

Looks burnt to me. Insufficient heat transfer out of the piston. I’m a bit surprised it still ran with damage that bad.

So the heads look okay or reusable? How about the cylinder bores? Seems like you’re pretty lucky if there wasn’t more carnage.

And one more example of why I’d run piston squirters when given the choice or option. All JMO.

Looks burnt to me. Insufficient heat transfer out of the piston. I’m a bit surprised it still ran with damage that bad.

So the heads look okay or reusable? How about the cylinder bores? Seems like you’re pretty lucky if there wasn’t more carnage.

And one more example of why I’d run piston squirters when given the choice or option. All JMO.

Block and heads looked good according to the builder. Block got sleeved and heads ported.

TMO Supporting Vendors