The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any input on KW V3's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
Looking for some opinions from guys who know better. Currently running Bilsteins all around with BMR springs and GT500 strut mounts. Car sees autocross and light track duty. I have an opportunity to get some lightly used KW V3 coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates for a great price. Just wanted to gauge if it’s worth it, I wasn’t sure how KWs rank for track stuff, since I know there are way better, more expensive options out there. Any help is appreciated.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Looking for some opinions from guys who know better. Currently running Bilsteins all around with BMR springs and GT500 strut mounts. Car sees autocross and light track duty. I have an opportunity to get some lightly used KW V3 coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates for a great price. Just wanted to gauge if it’s worth it, I wasn’t sure how KWs rank for track stuff, since I know there are way better, more expensive options out there. Any help is appreciated.
Great dampers but limited by the progressive rate springs (too soft overall). I’ve talked to KW about switching to stiffer, linear rate springs and they strongly recommend against it because the valving would be wrong and could possibly damage the damper.

These are my impressions from tracking these the last 2 years. As I’ve moved up to wider/stickier tires, the soft spring rates are further exposed and my lap times have plateaued regardless of the tire.

One other thing I’ve experienced - I can only get -2.8 degrees camber with the Vorshlag plates, and I have to run 27mm spacers for proper clearance of 18x11 et52 wheels. APEX’s website mentions this in their fitment section of their site. The mounting holes in the strut are slotted, but any further adjustment there would cause the tire to rub, so I’ve been maxed out at -2.8, where I know other strut models can get -3.5 or more with the Vorshlag CC plates.

All this considered, they’re quality units and it’s taken me 2 years to out-grow them. I think they’re a great next step into a double adjustable damper especially if the price is right.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
Great dampers but limited by the progressive rate springs (too soft overall). I’ve talked to KW about switching to stiffer, linear rate springs and they strongly recommend against it because the valving would be wrong and could possibly damage the damper.

These are my impressions from tracking these the last 2 years. As I’ve moved up to wider/stickier tires, the soft spring rates are further exposed and my lap times have plateaued regardless of the tire.

One other thing I’ve experienced - I can only get -2.8 degrees camber with the Vorshlag plates, and I have to run 27mm spacers for proper clearance of 18x11 et52 wheels. APEX’s website mentions this in their fitment section of their site. The mounting holes in the strut are slotted, but any further adjustment there would cause the tire to rub, so I’ve been maxed out at -2.8, where I know other strut models can get -3.5 or more with the Vorshlag CC plates.

All this considered, they’re quality units and it’s taken me 2 years to out-grow them. I think they’re a great next step into a double adjustable damper especially if the price is right.
The price is pretty ridiculous. My main concern was just that KW's hold up to any kind of abuse. Like I said, my car is split between some street and autocross/light track work (track sprints). I appreciate your input.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
The price is pretty ridiculous. My main concern was just that KW's hold up to any kind of abuse. Like I said, my car is split between some street and autocross/light track work (track sprints). I appreciate your input.
They’ll definitely hold up - the dampers are quality. For split use, I wouldn’t hesitate to run them again.

One other thing I’ve experienced - I can only get -2.8 degrees camber with the Vorshlag plates, and I have to run 27mm spacers for proper clearance of 18x11 et52 wheels.
I ran into the same issue with the 315 offset Cortex JRi struts. Vorshlag blamed the strut. So I just took out my dremel and lengthened the slots in the Vorshlag plate and also slightly slotted the upper strut bolt hole. Now I can get -3.5 camber.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Plainfield, NJ
I'm running 275 square set up. You guys think I'll run into any issues? I mean I'm on GT500 strut mounts now, I think the most camber I got was MAYBE -1.9-2.0 degrees at my last alignment, so whatever I get is ahead anyway.

I ran these for about two or three seasons and they held up. My issue with them was they felt soft and also couldn't get much negative camber out of them. I wouldn't run them again if I had the choice. I would take the Fortune 510's for split use considering the price is fairly close on price point.

TMO Supporting Vendors