The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any recommendations for S197 GT500 oil cooling upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Houston, TX
Has anyone that’s tracking their S197 GT500 done any oil cooling upgrades? I know there is an MMR kit available with -10 AN fittings but have been hoping to find or piece together something with a larger cooler and lines and haven’t found anything when I do a search.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Please do NOT use the MMR -10AN fitting. Its a engine buster. Don't ask me how I know.. If Ford says use a -12AN on the Coyote. Listen to them!!! That would apply even more to the GT500.

EDIT: Just noticed you stated a GT500

Exp. Type
Autocross
Houston, TX
Please do NOT use the MMR -10AN fitting. Its a engine buster. Don't ask me how I know.. If Ford says use a -12AN on the Coyote. Listen to them!!! That would apply even more to the GT500.

EDIT: Just noticed you stated a GT500
From everything I've read, I agree. I just haven't found any adapter for the 5.4/5.8 with -12 AN fittings. All the searches I've done just keep coming up with the MMR kit. That's probably because there are a lot more 5.0 folks tracking their cars than those with S197 GT500s, so the potential market for a larger oil cooler setup for tracked GT500s is a lot smaller.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Would this Improved Racing relocation adapter work? It says fittings are -10AN, but it might be worth asking them if they could do it with a -12AN. I spent ages researching oil coolers last year and came to the conclusion there really isn't a good off the shelf kit available. The best solution seems to be to invest in a Setrab 960 (or 948), the various -12AN lines and fittings and do a custom setup.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Houston, TX
Would this Improved Racing relocation adapter work? It says fittings are -10AN, but it might be worth asking them if they could do it with a -12AN. I spent ages researching oil coolers last year and came to the conclusion there really isn't a good off the shelf kit available. The best solution seems to be to invest in a Setrab 960 (or 948), the various -12AN lines and fittings and do a custom setup.
Yeah, I just ran across this one too. It does say it has -10 AN ports, but that adapters are available for -12 AN lines. However, I'm not sure how useful -12 AN lines are if the oil has to pass through a -10 AN port. But it is worth a call to see what they can do. And, yes, my plan is to go with a Setrab, probably the 948, although the potential mounting options on my front grille are limited, given the space taken up by my supercharger heat exchanger. I may have to locate it elsewhere, with some creative duct work.

Interestingly enough, Setrab notes the below on all their oil sandwich plates: "[Does] not work with -12 or -16 AN adapters. It is not necessary or recommended to use these larger size lines on the pressure side of a wet-sump oiling circuit utilizing and intermediate size spin-on oil filter."

They also mention the flow rate difference between -10 and -12 isn't a significant jump. It leads me to think that if you have nicely made AN -10 fittings that don't have any obstructions inside (bad machine work) that they'd be fine.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Houston, TX
Interestingly enough, Setrab notes the below on all their oil sandwich plates: "[Does] not work with -12 or -16 AN adapters. It is not necessary or recommended to use these larger size lines on the pressure side of a wet-sump oiling circuit utilizing and intermediate size spin-on oil filter."

They also mention the flow rate difference between -10 and -12 isn't a significant jump. It leads me to think that if you have nicely made AN -10 fittings that don't have any obstructions inside (bad machine work) that they'd be fine.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah, I just ran across this one too. It does say it has -10 AN ports, but that adapters are available for -12 AN lines. However, I'm not sure how useful -12 AN lines are if the oil has to pass through a -10 AN port. But it is worth a call to see what they can do. And, yes, my plan is to go with a Setrab, probably the 948, although the potential mounting options on my front grille are limited, given the space taken up by my supercharger heat exchanger. I may have to locate it elsewhere, with some creative duct work.
There is a lot of room in the front of these cars, but I hadn't thought about the additional heat exchanger for your blower. I wonder if 2x smaller coolers could be run in series with one mounted in front of each wheel well between the bumper and the fender liner? Kind of like modern Porsches do with their radiators in each front corner. I guess there might be a concern with pressure drop across what would be very long run of hoses.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Houston, TX
There is a lot of room in the front of these cars, but I hadn't thought about the additional heat exchanger for your blower. I wonder if 2x smaller coolers could be run in series with one mounted in front of each wheel well between the bumper and the fender liner? Kind of like modern Porsches do with their radiators in each front corner. I guess there might be a concern with pressure drop across what would be very long run of hoses.
Thanks! It's an idea I hadn't thought of -- although I may be cramped for space there too, as I'm planning to run a 4" cooling duct from my foglight holes to the brake backing plates. I'll check out what Porsche does and see if it's viable for me. I know that Fabman and others aren't afraid of mounting their various coolers in front of the radiator, which may work, depending on the efficiency of the radiator and how everything is ducted.

TMO Supporting Vendors