The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Any value in replacing the stock panhard brace/bracket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the process of ordering my adjustable panhard bar and wanted to know if there was any value in replacing the brace/bracket as well? A few threads have commented on it, but no real resolution? I guess a better made bracket would very slightly help prevent flex?

Thoughts appreciated. I am not opposed to spending the extra few bucks if it adds any value!

Thanks!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
As I remember, during my replacement of this brace, it is there to provide additional support to the body mount side of the panhard bar at the passenger side. This is the "fixed" mounting side of the panhard bar.

So in answer to your question, it may not be necessary to replace it. It is dependent mostly on your plan for the Boss. If you intend to race, then I would say yes, as it will improve the stability of the fixed mounting side of your panhard bar. There can be high loads, (tension and compression), under race conditions on the panhard bar.

However, if your plans are for a occasional track day, or paced laps at your local speedway, and mainly street driving, then I would say no, it's not absolutely necessary to replace it.

Another consideration is your exhaust system. If you run 3.0" OA pipes, and you have lowered your car an inch or more, you may find slight clearance issues with the driver side pipe at body mounting side of the brace, depending on the type of support bar brace you install.

Hope this helps,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Anything that helps chassis rigidity, even in a very small way, is a bonus I think. I replaced mine and I swear I could tell the difference. The OE piece is a cheap, flexible stamped piece. I used a Scott Drake brace and am happy with it. And if you have any exhaust clearance issues, you can shim it down with washers.

Plus, I love working on my car so even a cheap and simple piece like the brace is just another excuse to spend some time under the car.

Same experience here, I changed to a BMR adjustable panhard bar and could feel the difference. The rear end is so much more planted and solid on turn exits.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
TheSwede said:
Same experience here, I changed to a BMR adjustable panhard bar and could feel the difference. The rear end is so much more planted and solid on turn exits.

This thread is about the brace, and not just the bar! :)

I personally saved up and bought the cortex watts link, since I know I will eventually end up with their coilover kit. So, like mentioned above, what's your plan with the boss?

F.D. Sako said:
I personally saved up and bought the cortex watts link, since I know I will eventually end up with their coilover kit. So, like mentioned above, what's your plan with the boss?

current plan is really good street car that will see weekend warrior duty (i estimate 2-4 track days a year...)

i am leaning towards ordering both, just so i am not skimping during the build. the current way forward is listed in my p vs t vs k thread...going p springs, adjustable panhard, mgw, and bigger rubber for now (likely LCAs too).

struts and other updates later (once i get some more seat time).

Thanks for the feedback!

I'd skip the bracket and replace it later if you feel the need to. Firmer bushings in the LCAs and panhard bar will make a noticeable difference.

whiteline parts in route at a nice discount (so much that i almost got both for the price of one)! i have everything in place to do the first stage of my suspension mods!

Thanks for the help!

If you replace the PHB to a stiffer unit, then you stiffen the brace, then what part is going to take the hit, when you curb the tires? or brush the wall?. Personally, I prefer a sacrificial PHB over bending the frame.

Be careful about reinforcing the brace, when you curb it, something back there needs to reach it's limit before being yanked out of the frame rail

qFrE6hnl.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors