The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone dry--sumped their Coyote-based engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX
I keep breaking pickup tube mounts due to vibrations. We're going to reinforce this next one a big to try and keep it together, but I'm beginning to think a dry sump might be better option. More horsepower, better cooling, and more vibration resistant.

Curious what people have gone with? Looks like Dailey makes the best kit with the pump being integrated into the pan itself, but hard to find info outside their site. https://www.daileyengineering.com/ford/ford-5-0-liter-coyote/

Aviaid makes a kit as well--they seem to be well regarded. https://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/dryoil-passsidesys-4modford.htm

TX
Have you considered getting a cross plane crank and new cams to eliminate the vibration?
That.....would be giving up!

In seriousness, yes. But we keep getting closer and closer to the right system and I am not quite ready to give up

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
The GT4 runs a dry sump, but it also has a crossplane crank to reduce the vibrations. I believe Dailey makes the GT4 setup.

FP350S has the closest thing to a Voodoo in it, and Ford ran them for a very short period of time for several reasons (one being the GT4 category wasn't really ready yet). From what the engineers told me, they were running into too many issues with the Voodoo's vibrations, including cracked headers even!

TX
The GT4 runs a dry sump, but it also has a crossplane crank to reduce the vibrations. I believe Dailey makes the GT4 setup.

FP350S has the closest thing to a Voodoo in it, and Ford ran them for a very short period of time for several reasons (one being the GT4 category wasn't really ready yet). From what the engineers told me, they were running into too many issues with the Voodoo's vibrations, including cracked headers even!

I've reached out to Dailey re: their setup. Hoping to get some pricing, availability, etc. info back soon. I know it'll be brutal cost...but theirs down appear to be the best. I like the ideal that it's integrated into the pan and doesn't require external hoses that can rub and/or burst.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
I had Aviaid bits on a C6 Z06.

One persistent and significant issue...DS remote oil tank (with integrated AOS) cracked 2x because of a bad welding process...three tanks before it was solved.

TX
I had Aviaid bits on a C6 Z06.

One persistent and significant issue...DS remote oil tank (with integrated AOS) cracked 2x because of a bad welding process...three tanks before it was solved.
Was Aviaid the manufacturer on the tank?

Any issues once that issue was solved?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Bought the tank directly from Aviaid - manufactured in-house.

First tank wept (at temperature only) along a seam where a structural bracket was welded to the vessel. Talked with tech guy and RMA'd the thing....new second tank.

Second tank - very same issue....same return/replace/tech guy. Third tank was fine...but the time churn cost me most of a summer.

IIRC....they had a welding process issue but can't remember exactly what it was.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Los Angeles
If you can afford the Dailey it's the best thing out there. I have one on an LS3 and the billet pan/pump with no external lines is amazing, both for space and leaks. The LS setup is about $8k, so the coyote is probably right there.

In the V6L
I keep breaking pickup tube mounts due to vibrations. We're going to reinforce this next one a big to try and keep it together, but I'm beginning to think a dry sump might be better option. More horsepower, better cooling, and more vibration resistant.

Curious what people have gone with? Looks like Dailey makes the best kit with the pump being integrated into the pan itself, but hard to find info outside their site. https://www.daileyengineering.com/ford/ford-5-0-liter-coyote/

Aviaid makes a kit as well--they seem to be well regarded. https://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/dryoil-passsidesys-4modford.htm
I think the trade-off is between looking for a way to damp the vibration on the pickup tube and it's bracket versus a whole new complex pan and pump assembly that might succumb to the vibration and leave you with no engine at all. It won't be easy - we've seen the ability of the vibration to detach torqued studs and nuts already - but I think it's less risky than bolting on a bunch of new (expensive) parts that might not be an improvement.

TX
Well, things are about to get interesting. While doing a tear down, I found a crack in the snout. Crank is trashed, so I'm going to swap it to CPC and get it over with.

IMG_0673.jpeg

Interestingly enough, earlier today Bill of Dailey Engineering told me he wouldn't even sell me a dry sump kit because of the FPC. Said they had too many issues with the race car during development and they just can't dampen it enough not to have failures.

Not sure if i'll dry sump now, but i'm going to look into it.

TX
TX
Hmm. Oem damper on that crank? Break point very nearly where mine showed a crack (that later broke near the first step at the pump)

that all said, I echo the comments on CPC. I love the FPC in my GT350 but I wouldn’t dare feed it the duty cycle my CPC 8300rpm 5.0 mill sees.
ATI Super damper on this last go round. Maybe that contributed? Who knows

looking forward to switching to CPC and losing some gremlins

Ron McCall

Pantera1889
I had a Dailey dry sump setup on my CPC 5.2L Aluminatir XS . It was a work of art! Very compact and cost was roughly $4,500 with the ATI balancer that is needed to drive the pump.
Best thing is that the sump plumbing is Incorporated into the pan itself as is the mounting bracket for the pump.

Ron

TMO Supporting Vendors