The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone race slot cars as a kid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Especially the 1/24 cars at the big commercial raceways. One of my favorite cars was the Chapparal 2E, built by Cox in 1/24 scale with the articulating wing. In any case, as a kid, I couldn't afford one while mowing yards at 2 bucks a piece. Well, back in the 80s I found some parts and pieces at a yard sale and over the next 40 years I managed to accumulate enough parts to assemble one. The motor was the biggest PITA since they were chassis specific and very rare.
So while in quarantine, I finished it all except the driver's compartment.
the car is valued between $700 and $900 right now.

a2usgkLl.jpg

03mRnBIl.jpg

2xfVmCxl.jpg

kiEHQlPl.jpg

BBo1qsnl.jpg

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Spent many many happy hours monkeying about with slot cars as a kid. Then these humans known as "girls" showed up in my life and suddenly slot cars didn't seem to be so interesting anymore......fun while it lasted though! Maubuchi can motors, rewinding armatures, trick magnets, secret sauce tire softeners, all that junk, just like with real cars!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I think there's 3 of them left in the Toronto area, the one I used to go to as a kid was on O'Connor Drive and it's long gone. Scott Maxwell (the Multimatic GT4 house driver) owns MiniGrid and it looks like they're still in business. I'm sure there'd still be one or two in any big metro area on this continent.

I did. Had my little box I’d carry on my bike to the track. I have a couple of Carrera sets we usually break out after Christmas each year. You know, for the kids. ;)

there's a couple of commercial tracks left in the Tampa Bay area, one place has a road course, a "D" shaped banked oval and a dragstrip, but there used to be dozens of places

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
HO slot cars were big in my area. The large stuff was to expensive and the shops that had tracks did last long. Still have a tackle box full of cars. we had a four lane track covering 3 sheets of plywood. Road course complete with a big banked corner. Used car batteries to power it.

HO slot cars were big in my area. The large stuff was to expensive and the shops that had tracks did last long. Still have a tackle box full of cars. we had a four lane track covering 3 sheets of plywood. Road course complete with a big banked corner. Used car batteries to power it.
I have an HO track in my garage and I race 1/32s at a local club..still miss the big honking 1/24 cars though

pRUuBhsl.jpg

FbImLQGl.jpg

uBrqP6tl.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors