The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

APR Carbon Fiber Wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posting this here for general viewing.

Some pics of my APR wing and install notes. My car is dirty still. Been raining here so haven't washed it yet.

wingpic5.jpg

The wing base rails are separate and the wing brackets slide onto the rails and open ended screws screw into the brackets, through the rails from underneath the trunck. To mount, get a helper and position the wing on the rails on your trunk where desire. The wing is vertically balanced and will stand upright under its own weight.

NOTE: The rear bracket adjuster can be seen. It is a long hexical nut attached to screws at both ends. Rotating it will cause the wing to tilt up or down to get the desired angle.

wingpic4.jpg

To square it off, you need a minimum of two triangulated measures on each side. Pick a fixed corner of the trunk edge and measure to the tip of the nearby rail, at its top, and another measurement at the bottom of the rail. Using that same fixed point on the opposite side, adjust until the two measurements on both sides are equal. The measurements on one side will differ because you are measuring from the same fixed point to two separate points (the ends of the rail). Write these measurements down. Be accurate to the finest degree.

Once you've got the wing base "square", Use a wax pencil and demarcate the base rails by drawing a few lines around them on the trunk. That will give you a rough framing to come back to. Using painters tape, tape down the base rails while the wing is still positioned square. Then lift the wing straight up without jostling the base rails. Re-measure the base rails according to the measurements you took and wrote down. If they shifted, then lift the tape, adjust them and secure the tape again.

Using the wax pencil, mark a dot in the screw holes in the base rails. This is where you will drill. With the rails positioned exactly over the wax dots now, measure them again and ensure it is still the same, otherwise, go back and repeat.

wingpic2.jpg

NOTE: The base of the wing actually is designed as a "suspension" and will flex to avoid harsh impacts on the underneath surface.

Remove the base rails, leaving the wax pencil markings (having measure the rails at least 3 times before and after the dots). Using appropriate drill bit (don't recall what I used off top of my head), drill a lead hole through the wax dot and through the back of the trunk, including the second layer of the trunk. If one of the holes does not have a layer gap between it, you can mount the screw, washer and nut directly. Put some clear silicone around it to keep it steady from vibration, etc.

NOTE: Other substances may be better. There's a gooey black substance that would be better, but I used what I had.

wingpic3.jpg

For the double layer holes, you need to use a conical drill bit and open the outer layer wide enough to accept the washer.

The provided base screws screw into the wing brackets. Do this for all 4 screws, slide the base over the open screw ends and insert the wing into the trunk holes. Put the washers, nuts and silicone on the underside and you're set.

wingpic1.jpg

Do a part number search on line, you can get these shipped for about $700 on line. Even shows up on NewEgg :eek: but not the best price. There is a place in FL and one in GA fairly cheap.

I like the idea of a bigger wing and I am considering something like this, I do fear how well it will hold up at Daytona, I think it will need some extra re-enforcement. Plus with the new trans I hope to get close to 170 there and I read it is good till 160 not 168. If you pass the usable speed of the wing, what are the ill effects?

Darren, I assume your wing came complete with winglets?

Sesshomurai

Since its carbon fiber with steel brackets theres no chance of the wing deforming but my guess is above the rate speed it could trigger adverse turbulence because of its 3d design. Just a hunch. Reinforcing the stock trunk is wise. Since i have a spare im seeing what the effects are.

What are winglets?

Sesshomurai

2012YellowBoss said:
The vertical pieces that attach to each side of the wing (side plates).

Yes. They are included. If you want to wait until this fall when i go to the S wing ill sell you mine. :p

TMO Supporting Vendors