The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Are you running a diff cooler?

Are you running a diff cooler?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fair

Go Big or Go Home
Supporting Vendor
Plano, TX
S197 AND S550 AXLES AND FLUID TEMP ISSUES ARE VERY DIFFERENT

10317623_670953959644591_3927480287834422281_o-S.jpgjpf_DSC9316%20copy-2%20copy-S.jpg

We have seen high diff temps in S197 (non-Torsen diffs) solid axle cars as well as S550 Mustangs with IRS. But each comes from different reasons, and almost ZERO of this has to do with exhaust routing / proximity.

DSC_0226-S.jpgDSC_0219-S.jpg

After burning up the axles seals and outer bearings in our S197 Mustang (TWICE) after just cooking the fluid, then after rebuilding the TracLok clutch style diff a few times, we finally moved to a Torsen T2R. differential.

DSC_1614-S.jpg_DSF9012-S.jpg

ALL of the high fluid temp issues went away in our S197 after that differential change. We ran it like this for another 3 seasons and never had high diff temps, diff wear, or axle seal failure. The diff fluid catch can also wasn't getting chock full of vaporized fluid anymore - the issues just went away.

_DSF8979-L.jpg

This is because CLUTCH style differentials SHEER the diff fluid and cause large amounts of heat. Normally the solid axle housing is a big radiator that can shed this heat, but with big Hoosiers and lots of abuse that can easily be overwhelmed - until you switch to a differential that isn't sheering the fluid as badly. So not normally necessary to add a diff cooler to an S197.

76048894-978A1325-S.jpgDSCN1507-S.jpg

The S550 generation almost always has issues with high diff fluid heat (except those with the factory coolers), but it is from a completely different situation. As an Independent Rear Suspension it only has a small fraction of the surface area. The S197 has about 250 pounds of axle housing + internals whereas the S550 has about an 18 pound aluminum or 40 pound steel cast diff housing to shed that same heat - or more - as the S197.

PB081775-S.jpgB61G4368_AuburnDiff-S.jpg

Power plays a part, too. My gen3 Coyote 2018 GT made 60 more horsepower at the wheels (440 whp) vs the Gen1 Coyote in my 2011 GT (380 whp). So the extra horsepower wasn't helping, neither was the fact that my base model GT came with a clutch style differential.

IMG_3540-L.jpg

We saw enormous amounts of heat from diff fluid (after we added a sensor and gauge) on our 2018 S550 Mustang and had to make a big change. So we went to an Auburn diff + added a diff cooler.

IMG_2706-S.jpgIMG_3048-S.jpg

We built our own diff cooler (but don't sell one - so I have no reason to push this monetarily) and went through a few iterations before we settled on a setup that worked effectively. It took a decent sized heat exchanger, a pump, and then a fan to create the biggest temp delta. That system running would keep the diff fluid temps under 200F, and it wasn't pegging the 300F gauge we eventually swapped to (the 250F gauge was pegged after only a couple of laps at a track like COTA).

IMG_23430-S.jpgIMG_9822-S.jpg

With my latest S550 that makes 630 whp we are using the exact same aluminum S550 housing, 4.09:1 gearing, and Auburn diff + but a bigger diff cooler. The diff temps climb quickly if I forget to turn the pump/fan on, but drop within seconds as fluid starts to circulate. With the fan on it never exceeds 180F during longer stints.

IMG_4031-L.jpg

So long story short:
  • S197 Mustangs rarely have to worry about diff fluid heat, esp. once you go to a non-clutch style diff.
  • Virtually ALL S550 Mustangs suffer from diff fluid heat issues on track, so use a GT350/500/Mach I style cooler or an aftermarket + a Torsen style diff.
And that's my two cents...

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
S197 AND S550 AXLES AND FLUID TEMP ISSUES ARE VERY DIFFERENT

View attachment 88170View attachment 88171

We have seen high diff temps in S197 (non-Torsen diffs) solid axle cars as well as S550 Mustangs with IRS. But each comes from different reasons, and almost ZERO of this has to do with exhaust routing / proximity.

View attachment 88172View attachment 88173

After burning up the axles seals and outer bearings in our S197 Mustang (TWICE) after just cooking the fluid, then after rebuilding the TracLok clutch style diff a few times, we finally moved to a Torsen T2R. differential.

View attachment 88174View attachment 88175

ALL of the high fluid temp issues went away in our S197 after that differential change. We ran it like this for another 3 seasons and never had high diff temps, diff wear, or axle seal failure. The diff fluid catch can also wasn't getting chock full of vaporized fluid anymore - the issues just went away.

View attachment 88176

This is because CLUTCH style differentials SHEER the diff fluid and cause large amounts of heat. Normally the solid axle housing is a big radiator that can shed this heat, but with big Hoosiers and lots of abuse that can easily be overwhelmed - until you switch to a differential that isn't sheering the fluid as badly. So not normally necessary to add a diff cooler to an S197.

View attachment 88177View attachment 88178

The S550 generation almost always has issues with high diff fluid heat (except those with the factory coolers), but it is from a completely different situation. As an Independent Rear Suspension it only has a small fraction of the surface area. The S197 has about 250 pounds of axle housing + internals whereas the S550 has about an 18 pound aluminum or 40 pound steel cast diff housing to shed that same heat - or more - as the S197.

View attachment 88179View attachment 88180

Power plays a part, too. My gen3 Coyote 2018 GT made 60 more horsepower at the wheels (440 whp) vs the Gen1 Coyote in my 2011 GT (380 whp). So the extra horsepower wasn't helping, neither was the fact that my base model GT came with a clutch style differential.

View attachment 88181

We saw enormous amounts of heat from diff fluid (after we added a sensor and gauge) on our 2018 S550 Mustang and had to make a big change. So we went to an Auburn diff + added a diff cooler.

View attachment 88182View attachment 88183

We built our own diff cooler (but don't sell one - so I have no reason to push this monetarily) and went through a few iterations before we settled on a setup that worked effectively. It took a decent sized heat exchanger, a pump, and then a fan to create the biggest temp delta. That system running would keep the diff fluid temps under 200F, and it wasn't pegging the 300F gauge we eventually swapped to (the 250F gauge was pegged after only a couple of laps at a track like COTA).

View attachment 88184View attachment 88185

With my latest S550 that makes 630 whp we are using the exact same aluminum S550 housing, 4.09:1 gearing, and Auburn diff + but a bigger diff cooler. The diff temps climb quickly if I forget to turn the pump/fan on, but drop within seconds as fluid starts to circulate. With the fan on it never exceeds 180F during longer stints.

View attachment 88186

So long story short:
  • S197 Mustangs rarely have to worry about diff fluid heat, esp. once you go to a non-clutch style diff.
  • Virtually ALL S550 Mustangs suffer from diff fluid heat issues on track, so use a GT350/500/Mach I style cooler or an aftermarket + a Torsen style diff.
And that's my two cents...
Well said.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Bunch of good data here and I did like the FabulousMan and dumped mine down and away from the rear diff ( I actually removed he cooler off my Boss 302S ). Never had an issue even in 45 minute races.

JDee offered a bunch of good info but you asked him the wrong question on this thread. You need to remember he is Canadian so the proper question for him and those other Northern North Americans is , " Do you use a Beer Cooler ?" The yes portion of the poll will be guaranteed to hit 100%!!!!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
So I just decided to not screw around with this any longer and I ordered a diff cooler kit from MMR. I was going to source the parts myself but decided I'm an old guy so why spend my time on that when someone else has already got it figured out?
The kit adds some weight, but the trade off of weight for reliability and not having to replace lunched rear ends is worth it. I also amended my service sked to include yearly diff fluid changes. The car does about 10-12 track days a year, hopefully these two things will keep it healthier.
Plus maybe I can somehow adapt this cooler for beer in the off season? Though in our off season we can just shove our beer in a snow bank if necessary.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel