The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ask AJ Hartman - Aero Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Forgot to add this video here. Tons of good data and can finally put to rest the "wheels aren't rotating" argument. Enjoy!

That is some great data you are collecting there. Watching the fender vents in the smoke test was cool. Has anyone worked with you on GT500 improvements? Ford did some of the leg work with the splitter wickers and hood vents already, but the splitter area is very similar to the 350. I will be calling you :)

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I know the Fieros would catch fire, but I'm gonna call BS on oil-soaked Mag. There's gotta be a "By the way." I've had plenty of Mag bellhousings and gearbox pieces that never spontaneously combusted.
Magnesium is a highly flammable metal, but while it is easy to ignite when powdered or shaved into thin strips, it is difficult to ignite in mass or bulk.
The Fiero's main problem with fires was the original 4 cyl engine only had a 3 qt sump and your average owner rarely checks the oil. Rod out the side of the block and you got a fair chance of a fire.

hey so here's something i've been mulling over:

if the hood vents over the engine are to allow for that high pressure area to vent at speed would it be possible to have an active vent system that opened up do to this pressure?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I’m considering this hood louvre for a ’17 GT: https://racelouvers.com/mustang-gt-eco-base-15-17-center-hood-louvers-nasa-st-tt3-6-spec/

Anyone out there have this? Thoughts? My goal is to improve control > 130mph. I still only have the stock splitter. The best / other option looks like a carbon-fiber hood. And yeah, a splitter. But since this is a dual-purpose car I’m afraid that I’ll destroy the splitter around town or to/from the track.

I’m spending most of my money on college tuition, broken water heaters, vet bills and all that life has to offer. 🤣.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I’m considering this hood louvre for a ’17 GT: https://racelouvers.com/mustang-gt-eco-base-15-17-center-hood-louvers-nasa-st-tt3-6-spec/

Anyone out there have this? Thoughts? My goal is to improve control > 130mph. I still only have the stock splitter. The best / other option looks like a carbon-fiber hood. And yeah, a splitter. But since this is a dual-purpose car I’m afraid that I’ll destroy the splitter around town or to/from the track.

I’m spending most of my money on college tuition, broken water heaters, vet bills and all that life has to offer. 🤣.
I have the RX center vent (taller wicker) and the sides. I love their products. And Al (the owner) offers amazing customer service. He called me mid install to tell me he was about to leave the office for the day and wanted to know if I had anymore questions. Fantastic company.

As for performance: I added the center vent when I was still learning the basics so I can't speak for how much of an improvement they made but all the CFD and wind tunnel data is on their website. Others have said they could immediately feel the extra grip after install.

1677075053305.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I have the RX center vent (taller wicker) and the sides. I love their products. And Al (the owner) offers amazing customer service. He called me mid install to tell me he was about to leave the office for the day and wanted to know if I had anymore questions. Fantastic company.

As for performance: I added the center vent when I was still learning the basics so I can't speak for how much of an improvement they made but all the CFD and wind tunnel data is on their website. Others have said they could immediately feel the extra grip after install.

View attachment 84237
Thanks for the feedback, EW. Always good to hear from someone who has done it. If you wouldn't mind, please let me know if there are any installation "gotchas" that I need to know about. You can DM me if it is more appropriate.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California

Just to double down on what @Ewheels said, the vents are fantastic. While I don't have Race Louvers, I know Al makes an incredible product and is a great guy that actually puts in the work to provide hard numbers.

On the performance side of things, the vents have been the single biggest change in the feel of the car, specifically on high speed sweepers. Great bang for your buck on fast tracks. The cooling benefit is there as well of course.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal

It's kind of one of those logic changes. Whether or not you feel the immediate difference, you know it's a positive.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Just to double down on what @Ewheels said, the vents are fantastic. While I don't have Race Louvers, I know Al makes an incredible product and is a great guy that actually puts in the work to provide hard numbers.

On the performance side of things, the vents have been the single biggest change in the feel of the car, specifically on high speed sweepers. Great bang for your buck on fast tracks. The cooling benefit is there as well of course.
I have one on order. Hope to be able to tell a difference at Road Atlanta next month.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Another question...I have a CAI which "seals" up against the hood to (as y'all know) keep the hot stuff hot and the cool stuff cool (as the MC DLT tried to do years ago...hahahaha). The stock hood vent is right over the CAI, about where I marked in red. Since the CAI has an air inlet that allows air in through the front grill, I'm curious if the hood vent should be sealed up? My completely unqualified theories:
1. Is the hood vent pulling air out of the CAI bucket, making it hard for the throttle body to breathe?
2. Is the hood vent helping to pull air into the bucket, allowing ample air for the throttle body?

1677171394077.png1677171484531.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Another question...I have a CAI which "seals" up against the hood to (as y'all know) keep the hot stuff hot and the cool stuff cool (as the MC DLT tried to do years ago...hahahaha). The stock hood vent is right over the CAI, about where I marked in red. Since the CAI has an air inlet that allows air in through the front grill, I'm curious if the hood vent should be sealed up? My completely unqualified theories:
1. Is the hood vent pulling air out of the CAI bucket, making it hard for the throttle body to breathe?
2. Is the hood vent helping to pull air into the bucket, allowing ample air for the throttle body?

View attachment 84262View attachment 84263
I have been wondering the same thing.
I have a 4" hose ducted from my grill to the airbox and the top is open to the hood vents.
Am I pulling air in? Or am I pulling air away?

IMG_4641.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California

View attachment 84262View attachment 84263
You'd want to seal the top of the CAI bucket as best you can from my knowledge. While my knowledge around what would be considered proper air pressure surrounding the filter is limited, it would make sense to have as much air in there as the bucket will allow. It also keeps your filter dry in case you end up in wet conditions.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
You'd want to seal the top of the CAI bucket as best you can from my knowledge. While my knowledge around what would be considered proper air pressure surrounding the filter is limited, it would make sense to have as much air in there as the bucket will allow. It also keeps your filter dry in case you end up in wet conditions.
I wonder what kind of test the average Joe like me can perform to try to validate either theory. Seems that the data I would have available (without a dyno) would be:
- Inlet air temp (irrelevant to air pressure)
- Air/fuel ratio (I'm guessing that the computer adjusts this on the fly, so I probably wouldn't see anything valuable)
- Vacuum (would this be helpful?)
- Butt-dyno (free; I'm familiar with how it works; very subjective)

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I sealed the top of the bucket with clear lexan. It was pretty simple. But also on my '16 S550 the grille were the air inlet is has a lot of the hex holes blocked off. I felt that was not good so I opened them up with a drill and a dremel grinder. I figure more air is better. I still have no idea why Ford would block that off.

TMO Supporting Vendors