The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AUTO-BLiP Install and Calibration Info for the S197/BOSS 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Auto-Blip Install and Instruction Information

Rick I cannot wait to hear your review. It sounds like a great product cheating or not! I'm pretty sure F1 uses a similar technology, so even the pros cheat.

The wires clip into the existing wires so no cutting. Location is something I'm thinking about. The academy cars we drove had it mounted in front of the shifter and the cable was hanging off to the left side. I'm thinking about mounting it to the left of the steering column down low where it will be barely visible. I've talked to the owner Andres about installing an inline plug so it can be disconnected but for the initial installation I won't do that. You can turn it off by turning both controls to the left.

ArizonaGT said:
wtf, that is cheating

That is what I thought too and then I tried turning it on half way through day two at Chuckwalla. I was immediately impressed how it improved my braking. I am anything but great at toe-heel. I sometimes find I lift on the brake slightly when blipping the throttle, or just the opposite. I was noticeable smoother with it on. Still feels like I am taking the easy way out...

I have not installed mine yet as the car is still in storage one more week.

Tulsa, OK

NFSBOSS said:
The wires clip into the existing wires so no cutting. Location is something I'm thinking about. The academy cars we drove had it mounted in front of the shifter and the cable was hanging off to the left side. I'm thinking about mounting it to the left of the steering column down low where it will be barely visible. I've talked to the owner Andres about installing an inline plug so it can be disconnected but for the initial installation I won't do that. You can turn it off by turning both controls to the left.

Cool. That sounds like a good plan installing it to the left.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84

Ive never tracked my car besides 1/4 and autocross, but I gotta say this would definitely be a must have if I started.

In the next few years I think you'll see almost all sporty cars with manual transmissions coming from the factory with two step launch control, no-lift shift, and auto blip. It's a relatively cheap and easy way to boost driver performance without going to a DCT or SMG transmission. Anything that keeps alive the market for traditional stick shifts is ok in my book.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

LS110 said:
That is what I thought too and then I tried turning it on half way through day two at Chuckwalla. I was immediately impressed how it improved my braking. I am anything but great at toe-heel. I sometimes find I lift on the brake slightly when blipping the throttle, or just the opposite. I was noticeable smoother with it on. Still feels like I am taking the easy way out...

I have not installed mine yet as the car is still in storage one more week.

I'm sure it works well; I don't want to try it because I will probably like it too much. I will stay "old fashioned" as long as I can in this respect.

Well damn. The sale that was there a few days ago is now gone! I've asked to see if they can give the BMO members a discount. We'll see what happens.

Its funny driving around the block with this device and hearing it rev as you coast smoothly up to a stop sign.
Good times.

Tell you what i find strange here, isn't the unit itself as for people like me who are just starting out trying to learn heel/toe but that a race school has it on their cars, surely the purists in the instructors would say not to bother its only a gimmick.

having said that if i struggle to learn the practice this unit will defo go in my shopping basket

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

I am fairly good at heel toe downshifting and some times can do true double clutching but this system intrigues me because of the repeat ability and the ability to focus on the brake pedal and not worry about releasing brake pressure when you are rolling your ankle over to blip the throttle. My SMG M3 had this feature built in as did my DSG R32 and it was very cool. I may buy in here and if I don't like it I'm sure I can re sell it at only a small loss.
It's not cheating it is a competitive advantage.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

steveespo said:
I am fairly good at heel toe downshifting and some times can do true double clutching but this system intrigues me because of the repeat ability and the ability to focus on the brake pedal and not worry about releasing brake pressure when you are rolling your ankle over to blip the throttle. My SMG M3 had this feature built in as did my DSG R32 and it was very cool. I may buy in here and if I don't like it I'm sure I can re sell it at only a small loss.
It's not cheating it is a competitive advantage.
Steve

My concern here is that you won't have the ability to learn to match rev's if this is installed. Or learn how to do heel/toe well if you haven't learned yet at all. I guess I'm too old school... ;D

PeteInCT said:
My concern here is that you won't have the ability to learn to match rev's if this is installed. Or learn how to do heel/toe well if you haven't learned yet at all. I guess I'm too old school... ;D

I was torn on this too, but of course its still possible to be old and new school. Then I thought about it this way. We already have a computer controlled braking system and nobody thinks about ditching the ABS to be really old school. So this just adds a computer controlled throttle assist. :p

F.D. Sako said:
Darren, if you skip a gear while downshifting, does it still rev match? e.g. 5th to 3rd.

Yes. It revs when you brake with the clutch in (whether you shift or not) and you set the delay and duration.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel