The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Auto to manual - hptuners ecu changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi. So my manual transmission conversion I completed a few weeks ago. Car is in limp mode. I should get my hptuners stuff next week. My friends Dyno shop uses hptuners. I have tried to google instructions on what to change in hptuners ( I’m not familiar with it at all - yet ), but I didn’t find steps from anyone. Anyone here done the swap and have some notes/pointers on what to change in the ecu for the swap? I found a article on deleting vats. Car is track only, 2005 gt converted to a tremec. So I wanted to tackle vats and the driveline before I go to the dyno. Will save me a few bucks if I figure it out. Thanks in advance if someone can point me to a thread or provide the steps.

All the hot dog tuners seem to graduate to HP. I guess they allow specific engine parameter and the ability to assign component values is their thing. I know Phoenix uses them almost exclusively.

All the hot dog tuners seem to graduate to HP. I guess they allow specific engine parameter and the ability to assign component values is their thing. I know Phoenix uses them almost exclusively.
Hi, my tuner cant make the car go after the swap, Im sure he is missing a config tweak. Who is Pheonix? Can you share some contact info as I might need to find some help.

Hi, my tuner cant make the car go after the swap, Im sure he is missing a config tweak. Who is Pheonix? Can you share some contact info as I might need to find some help.

Tell them Rob sent you

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Kennett Square, PA
Rob asked me to chime in. Your problem is most likely that the electronic throttle monitoring software version in the manual trans strategy you are using doesn't match the automatic PCM you are using. To make a long story short(er) the PCM has a separate processor that is responsible for all of the safety monitoring of the electronic throttle, and the main engine calibration checks the software version in the ETC processor to make sure it matches. If you go to a dealer and have your PCM reprogrammed from one strategy to another (like an automatic to manual) it programs both processors. But if you change your strategy using SCT or HPT it only changes the main processor and there is a chance it won't match, and then you'll get limp mode.

To fix it, you need to look at a calibration for the strategy that was originally in the PCM and find the Equizzer Software Version and IPC Software Version, which should be the same 3 digit number. Then go into your manual transmission calibration and change them both to match.

My tuner responded finally with the codes the car is throwing.
p061c and p2106. I guess thats progress, I can start to do some googling.
And I passed on the info from from the thread above, thanks for that info.
It still has the auto diff for now and he want to change some ratios, but I dont know if he is on the right track. I am going to slap my buddy who said turn the car to a manual, it will be fun he said...Im lucky that the dyno shop guy hasnt given up, he will put car back on dyno between other bookings and continue to work on it.

Last edited:
Manuel at tudyno.com ( highly recommended 3v tuner ), says he can tune a autopcm to work with SCT tuning hardware, I have HP tuners, he doesnt think HP can do it. Its only money at this point.
I have to decide once my tuner gives up.
1) Standalone engine management, expensive and have to wire in, pro is it would work if I upgrade to a 5.0 later which is likely. Brake/suspensions mods are definetly setup for more HP. Just need some seat time int he car before going down that road.
2) Buy a manual PCM and spend more HP tuner credits.
3) Get the SCT hardware and hire Manuel to work with my tuner.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Kennett Square, PA
The other option is to have a dealer (or anyone with the tools and a Ford subscription can do it) program your PCM to whatever manual trans strategy you are using which will program everything including the ETC processor. I’d think that you would be able to use your existing HPT license but would be best to ask HPT about it.

In case you guys were unaware Jeff has some serious Ford cred going on. He was the engineer that worked with Phoenix on their Boss 302 program, among other things, so don't take his recomendation lightly.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel