The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Auto-x/HPDE Bullitt K1912 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Finally done some minor things to the Bullitt. Just changed the transmission fluid to Motul DCTF. Need either a 5/16 or 8mm allen key and possibly a socket to change fluid. Need the key for fill plug due to lack of clearance; could use either for drain.
2v2aKyJKqx1Ybjq.jpg
While I was under there I went ahead and wrapped the exhaust where it runs by differential. See if this will have any effect on temps.
2v2aKyJpdx1Ybjq.jpg

Don't have another HPDE until September, so will have to wait until then to see if any good effects, now that I've found the diff temp gaugeo_O

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Libertyville, il
Finally done some minor things to the Bullitt. Just changed the transmission fluid to Motul DCTF. Need either a 5/16 or 8mm allen key and possibly a socket to change fluid. Need the key for fill plug due to lack of clearance; could use either for drain.
View attachment 66839
While I was under there I went ahead and wrapped the exhaust where it runs by differential. See if this will have any effect on temps.
View attachment 66840

Don't have another HPDE until September, so will have to wait until then to see if any good effects, now that I've found the diff temp gaugeo_O
The wrap will help however, even when temps were in the 70s here in metro Chicago my cooler kicked in at around 165 - 170.

BTW the track package GT-350s come with both diff and trans coolers.

Ford is facing a class action lawsuit from GT-350 owners over this issue as the cars are essentially advertised as track ready and the base cars and the tech package cars aren't equipped with the coolers which are needed for long track sessions.

I'll be interested to learn how your HPDE goes in September. Where will that be held?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
The wrap will help however, even when temps were in the 70s here in metro Chicago my cooler kicked in at around 165 - 170.

BTW the track package GT-350s come with both diff and trans coolers.

Ford is facing a class action lawsuit from GT-350 owners over this issue as the cars are essentially advertised as track ready and the base cars and the tech package cars aren't equipped with the coolers which are needed for long track sessions.

I'll be interested to learn how your HPDE goes in September. Where will that be held?
Those and the new Mach 1. Home track is Virginia International Raceway. I live about an hour from there. Will be reporting on this one because my son will be going with me to do his first HPDE

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
A bit of an update but no pictures. Got a track event this weekend at Carolina Motorsports Park and will be sharing the car with my son. Bled the brakes with Motul RBF 600. Installed new G-Loc R18/R12 pads. Found out one of my SVE wheels was cracked and I knew another one was no longer quite round, so I bought a set of Apex SM-10's, 19X11.5, from member ChipG. Mounted a set of 305-30/19 SC3R's on them. Hopefully since I will be on some relatively new pavement here and brand new pavement at Roebling Road the end of July, I'll be able to get quite a few laps out of them

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Track wheels do age and some are inherently stronger than others. Good reason to patronize the site sponsors on here as the Apex or Forgeline wheels have stellar reps from track guys! Just commenting as I have seen cracked wheels over the years that were not the result of agricultural racing or contact, just they could not take the rigors of road racing or they were quite old and had seen plenty of usage.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
There was no impact mark where the crack was. Wheels were about two years old. I'm pretty notorious for using curbing, so I'm sure that didn't help.
Yes, using OPM 35mm spacers

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Have switched to Redline 75W140 rear end lube per recommendation from JDee. Haven't seen the overheat warning since. Contemplating changing the stock sway bars for some from BMR during offseason. Really like how car currently handles so still somewhat on the fence

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Haven't had any real updates or progress to report until now. After going through my 3053019 Supercar 3's and finding them on back order I tried the Supercar 3R's in the same size. They were fast but didn't provide the longevity as most had said they wouldn't. As I stated in another thread, Goodyear got greedy on the 305 Supercar 3 pricing so after much thought I decided to try to fit the 3253019 SC3. I knew several of you guys with GT350's were running them with no issues so I thought why not. Under normal driving everything is fine, but on track the rub slightly on the front fenders.

2v2ewafHWx1Ybjq.jpg2v2ewBLvGx1Ybjq.jpg

You can see the slight rubber buildup on the fender and the shine on the tire where it contacted the fender. It was cool this morning at VIR and seemed to take forever for the tires to come in. it was warmer this afternoon and car appeared back to normal after I dropped a couple pounds of pressure from the fronts. Now new track records for me, but tires appear to stay under me longer during a session

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
After god knows how many HPDE events and a weekend spent at CMP constantly messing around with rear brakes so my son could drive, I finally replaced the rear calipers. The pistons appeared to turn in halfway easily, but car was chewing up rear pads like crazy despite traction control being off. The test comes this weekend at VIR. Also found that somehow I broke another rear stud, so new hub assembly will be installed before the weekend.

TMO Supporting Vendors