The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Autox Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
These look tasty. Will 18” clear the 6 pistons? I was under the impression 19s were required. It’s a big reason I went with 4 pistons.
I believe you are right on them requiring the 19s. My gt came factory with 19s and I ordered a new set of 19x11s for sticky tires. I figured it was not much more for the 6pots. Might look into a track day to test them out this year but I'm trying to get about 20 AX events in this season.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Nice shot of the calipers on your Stang, and have to imagine you are running strong in TT3 with those stoppers along with a set of gumball Hoosiers. I am going back to those sticky donuts for 2022!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Got the whiteline swaybars in beginning of the week. $360 for both adj bars with shipping. Couldn't find anything nearly as close in price. Never had heard of the site before and took a gamble.

20220117_161629.jpg

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No worries, there are guys on here using them, and frankly with parts supplies sometimes we have to take a chance and go for what we can get - within reason.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Got the whiteline swaybars in beginning of the week. $360 for both adj bars with shipping. Couldn't find anything nearly as close in price. Never had heard of the site before and took a gamble.

View attachment 72015

When I picked up my car, all the bushing were shot, at least one shock was leaking. So I purchased front, rear, adjustable all Whiteline from Steeda based on discussion and their suggestion. Only thing I didn't get is the Watts. I've been happy but I don't have a baseline of how this car handles stock or with a FP set up. It's all I've known. I need to soften up my sway bars as currently its a bit stiff so next time I get it on blocks I will be adjusting it 1 notch softer on the rear at least. I've been happy with my Whiteline setup.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
No worries, there are guys on here using them, and frankly with parts supplies sometimes we have to take a chance and go for what we can get - within reason.
I think I stated it a little wrong. I had planned to buy the whiteline parts. But found then $100 cheaper on eliteracefab.com. I'd never heard of them before and decided to take the chance ordering from them. Shipping was fast and got legit parts. Watching the shipping info, pretty sure the parts came from the Texas Summitt wharehouse.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well keep up the Winter modding and I hope one of those 20 Autocrosses you want to do this year will include the Solo Nationals in Lincoln, Ne. this September -- if so , I will see you there!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
11 days till my first autocross this year. Currie extended studs should be here Wednesday, Cortex 25mm spacers being delivered tomorrow. I ordered the Vorshlag street pros and a whiteline panhard bar. I just have to figure out who to bribe to get them shipped quick. Lol.
Hoping to get everything ready before the autocross.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Had an autocross event today over in STL. Had a blast ran well. Probably my most consistent I've ever ran at an event so far. Downside, found new issues with the car.

Runs 5 and 6 were hit with the MT82 not wanting to shift into 2nd on launching. Had to jump to third. Once I got the street wheels on and gear packed up. Car drove and shifted fine. Thinking ot was possibly from the heat? And recently my clutch pedal on highway driving has more resistance if not used for an extended period.

Also, rotors have developed stress cracks around the drilled openings. Most likely going with blanks and G-LOC pads as a replacement.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Any chance you are in Lincoln at the SCCA Solo Nationals? If so I hope to meet you and by the way check your CAM C decals the second C is crooked , haha!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Any chance you are in Lincoln at the SCCA Solo Nationals? If so I hope to meet you and by the way check your CAM C decals the second C is crooked , haha!
I didn't know that people were going to be taking pictures! So I just tossed them on real quick. Lol. I am not in Lincoln. There are a few guys I know over there.

I want to try and make it out next year. This year I've spent way more money than I should have on the car. After the last autocross my driver side wheel seal let go and covered my rotor, caliper, and pad. Luckily, I just ordered all the parts for the s550 brembo swap. The last item should be here in the morning.

Also on that note, today I went and ordered a Torsen T2R and gears with installation kit today. It's going to be a busy weekend.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Do make it next year as it is not just the Nationals it is a " Happening." New drivers can learn more going there for the week than a year of events and the parties, excitement, camaraderie and spectacle are unreal! Reasonably close drive for you and you have one of the best Solo Companies in the US pretty close to you in St. Louis ( soloperformance.com ). Dave Whitworth ( DaveW ) is on here , though this week and more he is working his Store and helping changed tires at the Nationals site.

Have fun with your Solo Stang, it looks like you have caught the bug. Off to Lincoln, myself , in just a little bit.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Do make it next year as it is not just the Nationals it is a " Happening." New drivers can learn more going there for the week than a year of events and the parties, excitement, camaraderie and spectacle are unreal! Reasonably close drive for you and you have one of the best Solo Companies in the US pretty close to you in St. Louis ( soloperformance.com ). Dave Whitworth ( DaveW ) is on here , though this week and more he is working his Store and helping changed tires at the Nationals site.

Have fun with your Solo Stang, it looks like you have caught the bug. Off to Lincoln, myself , in just a little bit.
I went and saw Dave before the STL autocross. I've had a hard time finding mechanics that care about the car as much as I do. Took it for an alignment. They missed the blown out hydro bushing on the front control arms. And I've realized the wheels are not centered in the wheel wells. Dave was awesome and checked my suspension out and gave me some tips to keep an eye on. I'll be heading back to him for an alignment after I get my rear diff replaced.

20220907_093818.jpg

20220907_093820.jpg

Last edited:
CA
Waittttt a minute....your friend Dave deduced that since your rear axle is off center, you need an entire new rear end? I hope I am reading this wrong....

When you lower an s-197, you need to get an adjustable panhard bar to get the rear end aligned again. Based off the arc of the panhard bar, the rearend will move left/right in relation to the body of the car when the suspension is traveling over it's range of motion. Very common, inevitable problem. Your axle is likely fine.

Nice C4 btw 💪
I went and saw Dave before the STL autocross. I've had a hard time finding mechanics that care about the car as much as I do. Took it for an alignment. They missed the blown out hydro bushing on the front control arms. And I've realized my rear housing isn't center in the wheel wells. Dave was awesome and checked me suspension out and gave me some tips to keep an eye on. I'll be heading back to him for an alignment after I get my rear diff replaced.

View attachment 78899

View attachment 78900

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Waittttt a minute....your friend Dave deduced that since your rear axle is off center, you need an entire new rear end? I hope I am reading this wrong....

When you lower an s-197, you need to get an adjustable panhard bar to get the rear end aligned again. Based off the arc of the panhard bar, the rearend will move left/right in relation to the body of the car when the suspension is traveling over it's range of motion. Very common, inevitable problem. Your axle is likely fine.

Nice C4 btw 💪
No no. The shop that installed my adj lcas evidently did not make them equal length. I wanted to torsen for autocross because I'm pretty sure the trac look clutch packs are worn out and I might have popped a rear wheel seal last event... lol

TMO Supporting Vendors