The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Best states to live in (road racing in mind)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Hello TMO community!
I'm currently planning to move to USA and want to know some opinions from the inside - what states considered to have best road-racing scene? E.g. good fast racetrack(s), big racing community, events, not crazy anti-tune laws like in Cali (sadly, cause it's an obvious choice otherwise)
Would very like to hear opinions! Thanks in advance :)

Maxim_7k, Every State in this Country enjoys a fast car on a fast track!!!!!!!!...You're way ahead of the game owning a Mustang!!!!!!!!.....Best of luck settling in somewhere comfortable where you can enjoy your car...................................Other TMO boys may offer more options....................................

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
There are a few web sites which list all the tracks in the states. Most list right around 100 active road race tracks. If you will be trailering your car I would suggest looking for a region to run in. For example the south east has Barber, NOLA, Atlanta (2), Daytona, Sebring and a few others. Depending on where you settle towing to most is fairly easy.
any idea which part of the country appeals to you know?

Last edited:

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Go here http://speedwaysonline.com/ and look around. Everything you want to know should be there. Attached is a map of paved road courses (as opposed to dirt road course used by off road race trucks, buggys, etc). Just remember that not every track listed is open to the public and active. Some may be closed, private or used for special events only.

road courses.jpg

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
When I was figuring out where to settle down one of my requirements was to have multiple tracks within a 2-3 hour drive. Landed in Upstate South Carolina, but I also have family in that area. There's a few places in the US that meet that criteria though. Texas is always a good, but really hot. Same with Phoenix, AZ. Florida is fun if you can deal with humidity and bugs, but that's the majority of the southeast states anyways.

You already know to stay away from Cali-stan.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Indiana is a great place to look over because in almost any direction you have tracks 3-5 hours away , with many closer than that. When you think of the major cities close to Indianapolis ( Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati to name a few ) it becomes apparent that this middle part of the US is likely the most populous area of the Country and that lends itself to having a lot of race tracks, some of which are notable ( Road America, Mid Ohio, Indianapolis ) , but the number of high quality tracks in that area is too numerous to count.

Florida, West Palm, Miami Homestead, Sebring, Daytona and Road Atlanta and Savanah are close. You can find a place to race every weekend of the year. Add short tracks and there is prolly more racing here than any other state, year round.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Thanks for answers! So much help!
Yeah, I know about map with tracks, but it's kinda hard to know exact situation with community/events/etc.
I will be shipping my car to USA, or sold it here and buy another car, once I moved to USA.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Consider the weather in your evaluation. Roughly the upper 1/3 to half of the country will have snow and cold temperatures during winter, so most tracks are closed for at least a few months. And freeze-thaw cycles in the Northeast and upper Mid-West will hasten track deterioration. As has been pointed out, summer in Texas, Florida, and the Deep South (e.g., New Orleans, Birmingham) can get very hot and also humid. 95 degrees F feels very different at 20% humidity and 90% humidity. As I understand it, some of the far-south areas have few track events during mid-Summer due to the heat & humidity (other TMO'ers please chime in). Or you may need to add extra cooling to the car.

I'm thinking somewhere from Maryland to South Carolina is a sweet spot for track rats, with Kansas / Missouri / Oklahoma also an area to consider if you're willing to travel farther to tracks. With the East Coast you get fresh seafood and possibly Carolina-style BBQ; with the Mid-West you get beef, lots of BBQ styles, and possibly Tex-Mex.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree with the weather issue Dave_W and that was part of my reasoning for the placement of Indianapolis ---- plenty of tracks North in the heat of the Summer, and others just South when the weather is cooler ----- NCM is reasonably close for example.

You are so right about the Summer , as many of the tracks in the South or Southwest run infrequently in the Summer --- 100 degrees or 90% humidity make those areas poor choices for racing then.

Maryland to S. Carolina does have some good choices , but it does get plenty humid in the Carolinas in the Summer. No perfect choice but both areas we suggested have some merit.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
cali is nice for its tracks, but thats it really. mid west i think is best cause there are a ton of tracks within the same amount of time it would take you to drive from sonoma to big willow/fontana/buttonwillow/etc. (3-6hrs)

TMO Supporting Vendors