The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BIG NEWS AT BLOWFISH RACING

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Well, this has been a really wild ride so far. From making Tow Hook Kits in my garage from 2012-2014, to launching the shop in 2015 and taking on employees for growth that didn't quite materialize, to shrinking back to a single man operation for 2016 and planning to shut down the end of the year. Then, things got really weird. Sales picked up enough to justify holding on. Then, life threw another curve ball. Maryland was no longer going to be my home and I was coming back to my old stomping grounds in south eastern Wisconsin. My wife had a business opportunity in WI, shop rent could be half of what I pay in MD, cost of living decreases and the public school system is exponentially better. So, off we go on our new adventure!

After 4 months of seeking out shop rentals, I found the right spot to give Blowfish new life. I just got done with the last of 4 trips piloting the Ecobeast with my 24' enclosed trailer behind it, as well as a semi truck to move the heavy equipment. From 5/25 to 6/22, I logged over 8000 miles! I have one last trip with the trusty, yet overworked, rig. This one moves the family and it will happen mid next week. What a crazy busy time this has been. Product has been displaced between trips and locations, as well as on backorder with a manufacturer that has me ready to go postal.

I am really looking forward to the next chapter. I have been in talks with adding a business partner who will be taking over the financial and management sides that I have not been very efficient with and allow me to do what I do best, develop cool new products! Aside from the products, we plan to launch a new performance service shop and hire experienced mechanics and fabricators as growth begins. We will also be adding a chassis dyno in the coming months. This will be used as a tool for new product development, as well as doing custom tuning and dyno pulls.

The new shop is a 4600sq ft space, very efficiently laid out for up to 4 lifts (2 are in there now), the dyno, the machinery and indoor vehicle night storage to keep customer cars safe. It is located in a very convenient business park just a few minutes off the interstate. The new address is 21650 Doral Road, Waukesha, WI 53186.

As the products go, next month you will see the newly redesigned TR3650 and TR6060 Shifter Support Kits that will be lighter, cheaper, easier to install. There will be a new billet aluminum Tow Loop that retrofits to any of the older models and will have provisions for license plate mounting. The license plate mount kit will be an August release. After that, I plan to pick back up on the Battery Relocation Kit redesign and work on expanding the line more in the S550 platform. Stay tuned!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Steve. Although I greatly appreciate it....you did not have to move back just to help me get my engine squared away. LOL
This is great. I will need a shop to help with tuning and such. Still in the diagnosis process. Best guess (Worst) is a blown head gasket.
When do you think you will be open for business???

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Steve: That does sound like a wild ride and the community will be better off now that you are able to stick around! I hope the new location treats you well. I have many fond memories of the five years I spent in Milwaukee (despite the punishing winters).

Now, don't forget this location shift also gives you access to a number of new "test venues"...
Road America
Autobahn CC
Gingerman
Mid-Ohio
Brainerd
MPH

etc :)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I didn't realize you were close enough to WI to make it viable? Definitely come by! It will be cool to catch up. Haven't seen you in, what, 2 years?

I expect to be able to get service started in the next couple of weeks, but the dyno will likely be more like late august. I don't expect to be able to tune until next year though.

Since you are a local track rat, where and with whom? Looks like RA is not friendly to race prepped cars at their events and the other groups appear to be only big time race events. Haven't looked into Blackhawk Farms yet, but its about the same drive time as RA.

Steve that's great news. We've missed your insightful posts and your great products. BTW your existing fire ext bracket will work on the S550 cars you'll just need an adaptor bracket. One of these days I'll get mine mounted and send you info on it.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
The fire extinguisher mounts are another item slated for redesign. I want to use more billet aluminum and make it more modular to work with multiple platforms.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Steve
Blackhawk farm. Fun track run by a great group of folks. About half way between your new place and my house. Blackhawk runs track day's once a month. SCCA is now running track nights. Local clubs have several events a month.
I am just below Rochelle
A good chance I will not be ready to tune on the Dyno until next year.
How did the 5.2 engine project work out??

Steve, You have perseverance and will rise to the top. Your heart and soul are in your products.
I still have and run the protype shifter bracket on my Boss. I still have new in the box shifter bracket that you signed and numbered #0001 as the first production bracket. Keep up the good work. You are a pioneer for our products.

Thank you Sir!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
The "voodooboss" 5.2L turned out well, but I have decided yet again to tear it down. I originally intended to do the gt350 pistons, but their backorder status forced me into the manley's. Since then, the backorder was filled and I have had these 12:1 slugs on my shelf. Now that I'm going to an E85 rich area, I have the itch to drop in the lighter gt350 rotating assembly (cross plane) and tune the sucker for corn. No other changes planned. It's just sitting on a crate right now, so I haven't made a decision. The 2011 gt the engine was in, has been returned to stock to be sold...it just hasn't been sold and has become an enjoyable cruiser, so I haven't been real motivated.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I will likely be doing something similar soon. Will be doing an oil analysis, scope the cylinders, compression test etc. on the Boss. She smoked out the right bank last time out. Had to leave the next day and have not had time to even diagnose the problem. Runs quiet, no new noises, no visible coolant in oil, seemed OK on power.
I will drive up in the next few weeks, month and touch base.

Just figures...

Bought the tow hooks for the Boss and received them last week. Heading for Road America next Thursday. Had I known all these details I'd have come up a day early and let you show me how to install them!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Yep...I got a sayin' for this too:

If it was easy, anyone could do it, and it wouldn’t have much value.
Challenges separate the men from the boys.
Those of us with the vision and dedication to persevere will ultimately succeed.
90% will fail, and the 10% of us who make it, will be very valuable indeed.
-Sal Molinare

Glad to hear you have chosen to persevere. ;)
-Sal

Steve, Congratulations on the big move, and we thought the 1300 mile move from Mass to FLA was hard in one trip. You sound like a man with a plan. Good Luck finding personal to support the new venture. Look into the Waukesha plant guys for machinists, I believe GE is still moving forward with moving it to Canada. There is a lot of manufacturing experience in that plant.

Steve:

Welcome back to Wisconsin. I've got your front tow hook for my S550 installed and it looks great! (Let's hope I never need it.) Any other S550 products available? Specifically, I think your secret tow hitch kit looks like something I could use. Do you have that developed for the S550?

Bill

Since you are a local track rat, where and with whom? Looks like RA is not friendly to race prepped cars at their events and the other groups appear to be only big time race events. Haven't looked into Blackhawk Farms yet, but its about the same drive time as RA.

@pufferfish Steve,
Northwoods Shelby Club and MVP Track Time both run great events at RA. Northwoods was last week :( only just saw your post....
Multiple groups run Gingerman, but a little further away for you, Grattan is a fantastic club track. 3 Balls racing are a great, laid back group that run multiple sessions there each year.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Welcome to Wisconsin. I'll stop by sometime and check out the place. There should be plenty of local business here. There is only one good Mustang / Ford tuner in the area. He is really good, does great work and has a steady stream of street and race Mustangs coming through. But he is always booked months ahead. There is more demand than he can service. You should do well.

As far as tracks go, Blackhawk is by far the best nearby track. Everyone raves about Road America (and it is an awesome facility) but it is just too big. Its very hard on brakes and motors. Too much time is spent going straight. There are a couple technical areas but most of it is boring. I'm sure some (maybe many) will disagree but I raced GT-1 for 10 years and RA is too big for even GT-1 cars. Sure its cool going 175mph up the front hill and down into 5 but I'd rather drive Blackhawk. Leave RA for the Indy Cars.

One other notable local racing event is the run-what-you-brung, no rules, high speed autox at Jefferson Speedway (about 40 miles straight west of your shop). Sure its not w2w, yeah top speed is only 75 mph, but its only $20, most are Friday nights 7-10pm, its very laid back and low cost fun with your car, no matter if its stock or if you bring it in on a trailer.

Waukesha is so close I can make a trip up there to get parts and justify the cost of fuel by bootlegging food for friends from the Brat Stop on the way home! Hahah big +1 on this from me.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel