The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blacksheep Hates Watts Linkages

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I feel what is most frustrating is having someone bring their car in complaining of leaks, squeaks, and not handling right, all because they put *insert part here* on thinking just IT would magically change the car. But a lot people just buy random parts thinking it will solve all problems without proper setup or interaction with other parts.
Another oldie of a thread, but anyway . . .

How many of those people understand that there even is an interaction, that "everything affects everything else", never mind have a clue as to quantifying what to expect?

I've heard all the claims for Watts links as well, but I still can't see how going to one would solve a shortcoming that doesn't seem to be present. For the record, I'm still running the OE PHB, albeit with the bushings "DIY-stiffened" (anybody who drag-raced GM intermediate sedans back in the day would guess what that means).

Norm

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well Norm , I haven't gone Watts either , so I guess you could say I am running the " Missing Link!?" I am sure I will get a comment on that from Tyme, 302 Bob, or TMS, for sure, ha?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Freaking what?..............

I got a deal on a used piece from another member here. 18MM bar, LCA's and Link will go on in a few weeks.

Oh well.

Blacksheep

How is the Autocross beast coming along

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sounds like we need to establish " Missing Link Race Team? " I elect Blacksheep as President and key spokesman, and I personally want to thank him since his advice means I will have one less thing I have to spend money on this year!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
A lot of Nebraska is flooded, going to be a year low on corn ---boy are you in luck!? I have a BMR WL on my Boss too ......

Blacksheep Mustangs Reject Watts Links ( yep, BMR - WL ) . Still some corn in the elevators for awhile!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I look at a picture of a WL and now all I see is lots of added weight and complexity.... Blacksheep has brain washed me!! Need a intervention!! Lol

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
I'm never going to be a good comparison since I swapped a stock panhard bar for a Fays 2 Watts Link. The Fays2 can get that central rotation point lower than the ones that use a differential cover, and to me it was an easier install. I had it basically hooked up within an hour, then another hour spent adjusting it.

I might come back and claim its way better, but that's based on a stock panhard bar vs. Fays 2 design feel. Had I run a proper panhard bar and then swapped to a Watts Link, I'd likely not know much difference.

I went with a Fays2 because another DE guy was de-modding his car to sell it (which he did, to CarMax, no less) and the offer thrown at me was just too good to pass up. So, I got a Fays2. Come fight me. :)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I'm certainly no pro and can prove it but I have dropped my laps tymes with the WL. But it could be more from the confidence I have with better handling in the back end of the car. And the car has handled better since taking off the PHB and installing the WL. But I'm not ruling out the Placebo effect.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
or just better ass feelings?

I like how my BMR WL makes my ass end feel!

There are other boards for that kind of talk guys :p...please don't make me put my moderator hat on. :D

----

Roll center adjustment range and eliminating roll center migration are the best reasons IMO to use a watts link. And you don't get the latter without the diff side propeller (like Fays2 or BMR). Driver confidence would be second. And maybe tire clearance by keeping the axle better centered.

It would be nice if somebody, anybody, could actually 'prove' that a watts setup was faster...I mean it *should* be. But there is no solid proof, by somebody qualified to do a direct comparison that would be 'better' or more definitive than the info from Rob and AJ.

For some, perhaps driver confidence is the best benefit. The little lateral movements can be unsettling to anyone not comfortable with the way a panhard bar moves or how it changes in left vs. right turn behavior as the body rolls and changes 'jacking' effects. The watts is certainly more consistent overall. Just not 'better' IMO when looking at absolute grip limits...particularly in left hand turns.

TMO Supporting Vendors