The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
athens7 said:
Well, shame on me for not reading the information at the bottom of the order page. Apparently, this retrofit kit does NOT work with the MGW shifter. The quote above seemed to indicate that the kit would work with the MGW, but the more info section on the order page says the kit will not work with MGW shifters. What, if any, relief is or will be available for Boss owners with MGWs, Blowfish brackets, and shifter rattle? When and how much? :(

I have the bracket and MGW installed.

There is a strong possibility that the vibration you experience is caused by contact of the original mountain studs with the MGW rear mount.

First fit with my mount showed little to no clearance between the bracket and the studs. I rotated the bracket 180 degrees and the problem was solved.

This may be an option to remove your vibration.

pufferfish said:
Unfortunately yes, but the new MGW mount will be a line item if you need it down the road.

will it be the upper part in the middle of this picture?
https://www.blowfishracing.com/630-thickbox_default/2011-2014-mustang-v6gtboss-isolated-shifter-support-bracket.jpg

when do you think, it will be available?

kind regards

Hans

Steve,
If we are not having any issues with the MGW bracket mounted to the BF I assume no need for this correct?? No added stability?? I have a very slight vibration in the knob but I'm assuming that is transmission vibration coming through regardless of bracket.

Kudos on the Customer Service to address the issues by the way. I'm still VERY satisfied with my BF Bracket and MGW shifter.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
both the retrofits are to help those customers with issues. i follow the rule of don't fix what ain't broken.

i sincerely appreciate the kudos. for better or for worse, i set out to regain the moral and professional integrity that has been disappearing in the automotive aftermarket. i hope others follow suit. its not only good business practice, but good for the soul;) i have been sleeping like a baby since the retrofit release. it was eating me up inside knowing that even a few customers were dissatisfied. as you can see, its a very personal endeavor for me.

pufferfish said:
both the retrofits are to help those customers with issues. i follow the rule of don't fix what ain't broken.

i sincerely appreciate the kudos. for better or for worse, i set out to regain the moral and professional integrity that has been disappearing in the automotive aftermarket. i hope others follow suit. its not only good business practice, but good for the soul;) i have been sleeping like a baby since the retrofit release. it was eating me up inside knowing that even a few customers were dissatisfied. as you can see, its a very personal endeavor for me.

admirable mindset! :)

TMSBOSS said:
I have the bracket and MGW installed.

There is a strong possibility that the vibration you experience is caused by contact of the original mountain studs with the MGW rear mount.

First fit with my mount showed little to no clearance between the bracket and the studs. I rotated the bracket 180 degrees and the problem was solved.

This may be an option to remove your vibration.

Just to be clear, when I originally installed the Blowfish bracket, I oriented the Blowfish adapter for the MGW rear mount with the rounded edges facing the rear of the car. Is your adapter oriented with the rounded edges facing the front? What about the MGW rear mount itself? Which side is facing the rear of the car, the open side or the side with the end plate and bolt heads?

Steve,
I ordered my Retro kit on the 14th.. Still showing back order. Will it be a few part batches away ? Or in this batch ? Just wondering.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Don't rely on the site. It's been screwed up since August. We should be launching a new site after New Years. It seems that many customers have not been receiving usps tracking info. I can't say whether that is because it's actually not being sent or it's going unnoticed in a spam folder? But if you want tracking info, just email me and I will forward it to you.

athens7 said:
Just to be clear, when I originally installed the Blowfish bracket, I oriented the Blowfish adapter for the MGW rear mount with the rounded edges facing the rear of the car. Is your adapter oriented with the rounded edges facing the front? What about the MGW rear mount itself? Which side is facing the rear of the car, the open side or the side with the end plate and bolt heads?

Round edges of the BF bracket facing the rear of the car and the MGW bracket with the end plates and bolt heads also facing rear of car. I have plenty of clearance from the factory studs to the MGW bracket in this configuration.

Want to report the new Retrofit Kit works great! 100% satisfied and in my opinion the BFR Bracket with the retrofit kit is the perfect combination for late model Mustang M82 transmission common cold. Vibration is minimal if at all, zero noise, no second gear crunch when cold and no shift lock out at any rpm with stock shifter. Great Job BFR! Wouldn't trade for anything. Weak link fixed.

Thank you,
:)

Ore
pufferfish said:
Don't rely on the site. It's been screwed up since August. We should be launching a new site after New Years. It seems that many customers have not been receiving usps tracking info. I can't say whether that is because it's actually not being sent or it's going unnoticed in a spam folder? But if you want tracking info, just email me and I will forward it to you.

Ordered my retro-fit last night and had a tracking number before noon today.

Calif boss302 said:
Round edges of the BF bracket facing the rear of the car and the MGW bracket with the end plates and bolt heads also facing rear of car. I have plenty of clearance from the factory studs to the MGW bracket in this configuration.

Yup, that's how mine is installed; rattles like a sonofabitch.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
athens7 said:
Yup, that's how mine is installed; rattles like a sonofabitch.

A few mounts require relief. Take a file and remove material on the MGW mount near the two studs for the original mount. Intent is to ensure the mount does not touch the studs.

Got my Retro kit today, thanks Steve. Sadly, I still get the Marble sound, it's not as loud and goes away faster through the RPM band. I might have to swap to a MGW and get rid of my Barton.

Finally got around to installing the Retro kit today. ALL rattle and vibration gone!!! I have the stock shifter and was troubled with the "marbley" rattle with the original install as well as the additional vibration. My expectation was that the rattle would go but the vibration would stay, albeit a bit less. So pleasant surprise when no vibration as well. 8)

As far as the install, there was no way I could get a torque wrench on those bolts that connect the clamp, so hopefully didn't over torque them.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel