The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Boone's BBB '05 GT Optima & CAM Build Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
Thanks for re-pioneering reliably boosting 3v's again, for me. It's funny as doing a supercharger and building a fresh bottom end has been my next goal for a long time. It is sode tabled for now though. I need my shop built first.
We'll see how reliable the power plant is after several more floggings. I'm bored to 3.720, which is most I've ever seen a modular motor bored. My saving grace can only be the iron alloy BOSS50 block. IF it holds together that is.

IAT's are the enemy. I'm adding a hood vent to my 3" cowl hood, and the next step is to add larger ID wet side lines and a higher volume IC pump. Mods to the front end will be aimed at directing air through the heat exchanger, and I may eventually need a heat exchanger with a larger area. I'll be working with Department of Boost for all my cooling changes, because... practical experience.

Boone

I don't have the crossover installed. I do own a modified crossover that used to be on Sal's car. It wouldn't fit with all the street car accessories I have on my motor. If my coolant temps were an issue at all, I'd look further into it. I have an AutoMeter temp gauge and the stock gauge. They both are very happy when I'm running on E85.

Boone

VIR Full on 200TW - 2:09.098
Plenty of mistakes means lots of room for improvement. I never fully trusted my brakes this whole weekend. Also, I never fully figured out the additional speed and adjusted braking points due to track condition changes, brakes bedding in, inconsistent top speeds, and any other excuse you guys can come up with for me.

Boone

VIR Grand on 200TW - 3:05.159
Still plenty of mistakes and lacking confidence in the brakes. I ran the two Grand morning sessions on 200TW (Walmart cheapies), and I was actually impressed with the amount of grip they had. Tire pressures liked to be about 4psi higher than the RE71R's I'm used to running.

Boone

VIR Grand on DH Scrubs - 2:59.406
The sun came out in the afternoon, so the sticky (supposedly) tires went on at lunch. Mistakes and brakes were still a thing, and the first corner of the first session on slicks I looped it on the first turn of the warm up lap. Caught a bit of crap for that, but these tires had been sitting for two years waiting for me to put them to use. I ran the two Grand afternoon sessions on the DH's, and it was a blast once they came in. I need to develop more trust in the level of grip the stickies can provide.

Last edited:

Boone

2nd session at CMP was not good to me today. Lost my brake pedal going into T8. Pumped it a few times, but no real help. Threw it sideways into the sand in a desperation move. Rolled it into the woods. Safety equipment did its job, so I'm here to type this.

Not sure where I'll go from here.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
2nd session at CMP was not good to me today. Lost my brake pedal going into T8. Pumped it a few times, but no real help. Threw it sideways into the sand in a desperation move. Rolled it into the woods. Safety equipment did its job, so I'm here to type this.

Oh man that totally sucks….thankfully you’re okay.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang , Boone, just read and like so many others have mentioned, glad you are okay. Winter will give you time to process and evaluate the situation, and you know we will all be around if you need encouragement or help.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal

Dang man, hate to hear this. So glad you walked away from it and here to tell the story. Better days ahead.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
My son, Jacob, is driving truck and trailer back home. I'm thinking I see something auto related in my future. Maybe a full on autocross build so that I can continue to spend this quality time with him. We'll see how things go. Whatever it is... family will come first.
Racing with my son has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. The family that races together stays together.

TMO Supporting Vendors