The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Engine Replacement Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville, Tennessee
Hello all,

I recently purchased a nice 12’ Boss 302 and I am looking into my first track experience this Summer.

I’ve been researching engine replacement ideas preemptively... just to have a plan in the event that I have a catastrophic engine failure in the near future.

It seems that Ford no longer makes the Boss engine and it looks like only the Gen3 Coyote crate engines are widely available.
How hard is it to get a Gen3 in the Boss while maintaining all subsystems (ABS, TCS, etc.)? Anyone done it before?

What other options have you considered or completed to replace a motor?

Thanks in advance.

AE

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Hello all,

I recently purchased a nice 12’ Boss 302 and I am looking into my first track experience this Summer.

I’ve been researching engine replacement ideas preemptively... just to have a plan in the event that I have a catastrophic engine failure in the near future.

It seems that Ford no longer makes the Boss engine and it looks like only the Gen3 Coyote crate engines are widely available.
How hard is it to get a Gen3 in the Boss while maintaining all subsystems (ABS, TCS, etc.)? Anyone done it before?

What other options have you considered or completed to replace a motor?

Thanks in advance.

AE
Just use the Gen 3 shortblock - everything else bolts on as usual. The Gen 3 has a higher compression ratio piston, however there are aftermarket builders offering Gen 3 blocks with the stock 11:1 comp ratio for Gen 1 & 2 builds.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
If this is your first track experience I'd just focus on staying on track, honestly. It's a pretty big list of priorities between "first track day" and "replace the engine." That could change quickly but I wouldn't worry about it for the time being. Just make sure your fluids and brakes are good to go, listen to the instructors, and have some fun.

TMO Supporting Vendors