The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Well that was fun!! ended up second in both heats today but was lots of fun... Had a knock somewhere and I could feel the timing being retarded.... felt like I was down 50hp. Had to work hard to keep up the fastest GT4

Great race!
That's such a nice facility....is there a pro series that also uses the track or is it just for club races?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Great race!
That's such a nice facility....is there a pro series that also uses the track or is it just for club races?
Chile really does not have a pro series any more. Ours and the gentlemen racer GT3 Cup series are the biggest. Chile is waay behind in racing. Argentina is race car mad and have a great track in almost every town. But we are very happy with this track. Fingers crossed that the greens don't kill it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It was oddly satisfying passing a GT4 when your down on power. But hope to have the timing issue sorted for next race so I can get me that fellow in that blue GT4 (normal manual version)... The GT4 Club Sport cars are in a totally different category... But then again if I spent "just" $25.000 on upgrades for my car maybe I could run with them (not going to happen). The Club Sports are over $250.000 down here...

If I were dreaming.... the 25.000 would not even need to be spent on the HP.

That brings to mind.... What would you spend it on. :sneaky: Lets make a list? What do you need to make a S197 faster then a GT4 CS...

Option 1
1) Carbon fiber doors hood and trunk $6000
2) Optic Armour front and rear $1200
3) Cortex SLA etc $7000
4) Cortex cambered rear axle $7000
5) Girodisc 2c front discs $1000
7) Strip interior and improve roll cage. $2000
8) Assorted things like brake pads $800

Option 2
3) Penske shocks all the way around $7000

OR, Option 3
Bribe @ajaquilante to come to Chile and drive my car!!! But that would be the one time.

No watts link was included so as not to offend @blacksheep-1

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
LOL! Added the carbon fibre stuff because I was having a hard time justifying the 25 grand!! Maybe it could be done for less then I thought... Then again going faster is going to mean speding more money on consumables.. The cars is at 1560kg empty and with me in the car with fuel its another 120Kg. Basically 3700lbs. Loosing 200lbs should be at the top of the list I guess..

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The video coverage is so good!! I don’t understand anything they’re saying, but I’m on the edge of my chair with an elevated heart rate - so much excitement by the announcers!
They really do a good job over there.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It was oddly satisfying passing a GT4 when your down on power. But hope to have the timing issue sorted for next race so I can get me that fellow in that blue GT4 (normal manual version)... The GT4 Club Sport cars are in a totally different category... But then again if I spent "just" $25.000 on upgrades for my car maybe I could run with them (not going to happen). The Club Sports are over $250.000 down here...

If I were dreaming.... the 25.000 would not even need to be spent on the HP.

That brings to mind.... What would you spend it on. :sneaky: Lets make a list? What do you need to make a S197 faster then a GT4 CS...

Option 1
3) Cortex SLA etc $7000

Option 2
3) Penske shocks all the way around $7000

OR, Option 3
Bribe @ajaquilante to come to Chile and drive my car!!! But that would be the one time.

No watts link was included so as not to offend @blacksheep-1
You know what I think already.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Are you running the widest tires allowed by your class rules?
Pretty sure he's running 315 Hoosiers on 11" wide wheels.
The next step up is 335's on 12's like I have and there's a whole bunch of BS needed to get that to fit.

Pretty sure he's running 315 Hoosiers on 11" wide wheels.
The next step up is 335's on 12's like I have and there's a whole bunch of BS needed to get that to fit.
I'd try a more common size if I were him, and starting from scratch.. 345s or something on the rear 315s on the front like the t1 Corvettes

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
No tire size rules, no rules of any kind, just a time bracket per category. Running either 300/680-18 Dunlops or 315 r7's now. 345's would be fun but the car is putting down power pretty well as is and it does seem to be quite a hassle to get those big wheels on the back. The Clubsports are running 1:57 on the long track we have and I am think I can get to 2:03 as is. If I get to 2:02 then its up to the fastest class. The regular GT4's in my class are the manuel street version with upgraded motores and suspensions. We use the long track to define the categories.

Braking is were the Clubsports leave me way behind, that and mid corner speed. I think they brake about 50m after I do on the longer straights. The Boss is outbraking the regular GT4 cars.

Then again I still drive to the track and they are 100% track machines.

First of all have to find what is pulling the timing. I suspect the hangers of the exhaust system. Will have a look over the weekend.

Sort of like bracket racing with corners, not really a bad idea, might be hard to police, is there any leeway in times if you go too fast or is it an automatic jump?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes, you have a 0.5 second margin per bracket and you only get it twice per season. More then that and you move up. We chose the time intervals to be representative of the cars we have on track in our category. It works quite well in the sense that we have the biggest category in Chile at the moment. The track its self has a 20 car limit due to noise restrictions, so we divided into 4 categories. Below 2:02 is the fastest group, from 2:02 to 2:10 is the next and these two run together when we have enough cars. the smaller cars are also split into two times. This does lead to embarrassing situations of a new driver in a GT4 car getting lapped by a 1.3 Liter Toyota. But its great incentive for them to improve! Lots of ribbing...

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel