The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Oh, forgot to mention. the Fabman brake ducts with the 4 in ducting make a really big diference. My Gloc pads really got a work out and they look great for wear. looks like these will last at least 6 races since I am no where near 1/4 done yet. Trying to late brake with the GT4 cars is a heavy brake work out.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Air to the calipers is such a cheap upgrade and so often pad wear is minimal because folks simply do not have enough of the free stuff blowing over the calipers, rotors and pads!
Cooling is huge. I ran every race last year and several test days on one set of pads.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Got some pics to day from the weekend. Lots of Krauts!

Got something in my teeth!
10.jpg

Too much wing angle... it was for the wet track, should have put it back to near zero when it dried out. Splitter is much lower but the butt is pressing down the rear and lifting the front
42.jpg
what do you call a pack of Caymans on land? ..... a Bask!!!
61.jpg

Youngsters in German cars vs Old guy in a Mustang. GT3 in first place
72.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

View attachment 76465

Too much wing angle... it was for the wet track, should have put it back to near zero when it dried out. Splitter is much lower but the butt is pressing down the rear and lifting the front
View attachment 76466
View attachment 76467

View attachment 76468
The car looks amazing….did you put tunnels in your splitter?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks!! No not yet, but thinking about it.
Do it...and the bigger the better. Or I should say, the more efficient tunnels the better.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

View attachment 76465

View attachment 76466
View attachment 76467

View attachment 76468
There's me 3rd from the left wearing the Michelin banner.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What!! and you didn't say a word!! Great way to hide the taco Tuesdays!!

Hoping to get a 3D printer soon so I can make all kinds of aero aids. Spats and splitter tunnels etc. Not to mention fixes for the trackspec hood grill as well.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Going to see if we can drop the engine this coming week to change a faulty secondary timing chain tensioner. The rattling is keeping me up at night so better fix it. More then likely a cut or damaged O ring thats loosing pressure. Might as well work on boxing the rad as well.

After the last race, I saw the GT4 drivers talking to each other in low voices, they where giving my car the evil eye so something is a foot! They be plotting my demise!

Hoping the next race will be with a M3 and two more mustangs to mix things up a bit. The S197 with nitro is putting down 523rwhp, But thank god, his bottle is pretty small and runs out after juice after 10 minutes.

Will be hitting the track again on the 3 of July. Counting the days.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

These seem very affordable...
I ran those last year, they’re pretty small. AJ Hartman aero has some really great units. I put a set in my car for ‘22.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
faulty secondary timing chain tensioner.
BTW, are you using the MMR inverted tensioner bracket?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
BTW, are you using the MMR inverted tensioner bracket?
hmm.... interesting will do some checking

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
hmm.... interesting will do some checking
Couple things to consider on this bracket. Ford made a running change on the secondary tensioners and all of the new ones are shorter in length than the originals. This MMR bracket won’t work with the new OE design. I talked to MMR about it, they confirmed it wouldn’t work and said they were working on a revised bracket. Not sure if that’s out yet - I would confirm before ordering if you have the shorter tensioners.

They offer billet aluminum tensioners that are made to the original OE length, so I bought a set so that I could use the bracket. After all of this, I couldn’t for the life of me get the cam phasers to slide onto the cams with the bracket installed. No real instructions on their site and like usual I was working well past their tech line hours. After an hour trying to get it to work, I abandoned the bracket and now have a really nice paperweight.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks, To be honest have always have had reservations about MMR. the few things I have bought from them were problematic or sent with total disregard to parts arriving in any usable shape . Thinking about the MMR oil filter relocation kit with 10 AN fittings for example.

According the Shaun at AED, what I have is a failed o ring on the tensioner. Easy enough fix, but a pain in the ass to do.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I ran those last year, they’re pretty small. AJ Hartman aero has some really great units. I put a set in my car for ‘22.

They look great, but they are a bit pricey for me right now. Thinking that a 3D printer would cost me about the same.

Those units would cost me about US$750 if I fly them down.

TMO Supporting Vendors