The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 shocks and Track Pack springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Canton, Michigan
Hi all,
I'm impressed at the performance of the Boss 302. Unfortunately, the wallet didn't have the capability of picking one of those up so I ended up with a 2013 California Special (kinda looks like the boss from the front)
Fast forward to this past month, and I've inherited Boss shocks front and rear, and wanted to swap on GT Track pack springs onto the fronts. I was hoping someone on here might have experience with this. I was hoping to do a little bit of autocross in stock class and so I can change shocks but not springs (I dunno man, I'm just tryna follow the rules.) If anyone has any take off Boss 302 springs looking for a good home, I've got space, and I might try to run those and see if someone makes a stink at a local event. thanks in advance!

Hi all,
I'm impressed at the performance of the Boss 302. Unfortunately, the wallet didn't have the capability of picking one of those up so I ended up with a 2013 California Special (kinda looks like the boss from the front)
Fast forward to this past month, and I've inherited Boss shocks front and rear, and wanted to swap on GT Track pack springs onto the fronts. I was hoping someone on here might have experience with this. I was hoping to do a little bit of autocross in stock class and so I can change shocks but not springs (I dunno man, I'm just tryna follow the rules.) If anyone has any take off Boss 302 springs looking for a good home, I've got space, and I might try to run those and see if someone makes a stink at a local event. thanks in advance!
Go with the Ford "P" springs along with Ford Racing rear LCA's , mount brackets, and adjustable track bar.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Go with the Ford "P" springs along with Ford Racing rear LCA's , mount brackets, and adjustable track bar.
Unfortunately, that would move the OP out of Street (formerly Stock) class on SCCA rules, and put them in a class where being competitive typically requires a larger investment. What could be done is a "package conversion" - IF the Track Pack was available as an option on the California Special in 2013, you could add it after-the-fact as long as you use ALL the parts in the package, at least those that you aren't allowed to change in Street anyway (e.g., shocks). So at the end of the day, you have a car that would have been delivered with both the Cal. Spcl. and Track Pack. But if the TP and CS were incompatible options from the factory, you can't do it.

Then again, for local events, probably no one is going to care if you swapped in some TP or Boss springs, at least until you start getting trophies.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Canton, Michigan
Just an update, I do mostly track day events (at least that's what I'm signed up for at the moment) so I ended up getting boss 302 springs and will be running this for the foreseeable future. A lot better track manners, though they are a tad bit rougher around some of the michigan roads. Luckily this isn't my daily driver or I might have to rethink my plans for the car. Hopefully I do get some trophies at the local autocross events if the opportunity arises since I've swapped on the Brembo calipers and have some PS4 tires instead of the all seasons I got the car with.

TMO Supporting Vendors