The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302S Front Control Arm Mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am looking to get delrin bushings up front on my 2012 S197. I am looking at turning my stock arms with OE bushings into boss arms that will work with the Delrin Ford Racing bushing kit. Removing the OE bushings seems to just take heat, assorted cutting tools, time, anger, and a beer or two. I do have the ability to weld what would be needed to also do the rod end upgrade, but is this "required" is my real question. I somewhat understand the gains of changing the roll center, but I also know that was designed for a car that is not in full OEM trim with interior, etc, and I do not have a clue what the difference in CG is from a 302S to my car is. Sort of besides that, I am just a weekend warrior on 275 RS4's; I am not trying to set any records.

With that info, does anyone have any specific reason why this would be a poor idea? All I can think of would be an unintended failure mode of the rod ends due to increased forces/loads/vibrations from the more solid bushings in the arms, although less deflection may result in less "improper" or "unintended load? I am just not sure about this.

My main goal here is just to get the deflection of the front arms under braking better under control. I also need to find the write up that I hear is around here somewhere on someone doing this entire mod in case I do end up going that direction.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I am looking to get delrin bushings up front on my 2012 S197. I am looking at turning my stock arms with OE bushings into boss arms that will work with the Delrin Ford Racing bushing kit. Removing the OE bushings seems to just take heat, assorted cutting tools, time, anger, and a beer or two. I do have the ability to weld what would be needed to also do the rod end upgrade, but is this "required" is my real question. I somewhat understand the gains of changing the roll center, but I also know that was designed for a car that is not in full OEM trim with interior, etc, and I do not have a clue what the difference in CG is from a 302S to my car is. Sort of besides that, I am just a weekend warrior on 275 RS4's; I am not trying to set any records.

With that info, does anyone have any specific reason why this would be a poor idea? All I can think of would be an unintended failure mode of the rod ends due to increased forces/loads/vibrations from the more solid bushings in the arms, although less deflection may result in less "improper" or "unintended load? I am just not sure about this.

My main goal here is just to get the deflection of the front arms under braking better under control. I also need to find the write up that I hear is around here somewhere on someone doing this entire mod in case I do end up going that direction.

I say go for it - the removal of deflection from the stock bushings is well worth it. The longer Howe’s ball joints help restore the angle of the control arm on a lowered car. Ford recommends running the adjustable bump steer tie rod ends as well.

I recently installed the Boss arms and bushing kit from Ford Performance. I have a 20T press, so I was planning to rework my stock arms. If you’re up for it, I’ll press the bushings and ball joints off these arms and trade you for your OE arms after they come off. Hopefully this would make a one day swap possible so your car isn’t down while you convert the arms.

@EF1 recently posted details on how he converted his. Again, let me know if you’re interested and we can work out the details.

I say go for it - the removal of deflection from the stock bushings is well worth it. The longer Howe’s ball joints help restore the angle of the control arm on a lowered car. Ford recommends running the adjustable bump steer tie rod ends as well.

I recently installed the Boss arms and bushing kit from Ford Performance. I have a 20T press, so I was planning to rework my stock arms. If you’re up for it, I’ll press the bushings and ball joints off these arms and trade you for your OE arms after they come off. Hopefully this would make a one day swap possible so your car isn’t down while you convert the arms.

@EF1 recently posted details on how he converted his. Again, let me know if you’re interested and we can work out the details.

That may be useful! I will be using a buddies garage and he doesn't have a press... just plenty of cutty and burny implements, and a welder and what all else is required - just no press.

I would be interested as this would at least allow me to attempt it all, and if something goes sideways at least I still have a operable car.

I would highly recommend at least trying to find someone or somewhere with a press. When I installed poly bushings I didn't have to burn anything out. To get the hydro bushing off I used a bearing choke and grabbed on the inner sleeve of the bushing and pressed it off. Both arms took less than half an hour to do and you don't inhale toxic fumes. If you need the sleeve like some kits do I guess you can hack it up after the fact but I don't think the Delrin kit requires it. Burning the bushing off is a HUGE mess. The small bushing comes out normally with a press or a bushing tool.

I would highly recommend at least trying to find someone or somewhere with a press. When I installed poly bushings I didn't have to burn anything out. To get the hydro bushing off I used a bearing choke and grabbed on the inner sleeve of the bushing and pressed it off. Both arms took less than half an hour to do and you don't inhale toxic fumes. If you need the sleeve like some kits do I guess you can hack it up after the fact but I don't think the Delrin kit requires it. Burning the bushing off is a HUGE mess. The small bushing comes out normally with a press or a bushing tool.
Yea, looks like @67GTA will be willing to hook me up with his after he presses his out! Thanks for the insight.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel