The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Header Install - Kooks Super Streets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, tips, and links on the header install.
After taking another look from underneath I think Cherno134 has a good point.
Dropping the K-member (and power steering) may be the way to go.
I already have the engine supported by a brace so that part is taken care of.

Steve - on the AC hoses, I wonder if unbolting the compressor is another option to allow moving AC parts around just enough to gain access ?

Thanks again all,
- don

I would just re-emphasize the importance of using something other than the hex head bolt around the driver's side motor mount and steering area, because it's all fine in the garage today, but tomorrow you might be taking them off in conditions like this...

cUM6DmLl.jpg

aCAzU9Ql.jpg

Dropped the K-member as suggested by Cherno134.
With the K-member out it is easy to remove the motor mount brackets.
This opens up a lot of space from underneath making (just about) everything MUCH more accessible.
The only exception is that one last upper header bolt stud and nut that is obscured by AC plumbing.

Steve recommends evacuating the AC and removing the AC hose(s) that are in the way.
As another option I wonder if detaching the compressor from the block will allow you to move the compressor just enough to get the attached AC hoses out of the way.
Anybody here ever try this ?

Thanks all,
- Don

Cherno134:

Good advice, please post the actual product number and website where you purchase the 12 pt bolts.

I'll also pass this information on as I know of two others doing the same upgrade.

OBTW how do you like the Super Streets?

Regards,
Dave
Hi, I'm a little confused about the flange connection. Referred to in this thread 2 ways... as a catalytic converter stud, and as a bolt. I've ordered the ARP 12 point nuts (qty 4) - do I need to order bolts for that too?

Hi, I'm a little confused about the flange connection. Referred to in this thread 2 ways... as a catalytic converter stud, and as a bolt. I've ordered the ARP 12 point nuts (qty 4) - do I need to order bolts for that too?
I'm very sorry I just saw this. Kooks builds great stuff, but they are sometimes lacking on incidental parts like flange bolts/ studs. They may expect you to use the old stuff. You should prolly call them.

TMO Supporting Vendors