The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please post any transmission or clutch concerns you have here. Please no discussion of lemon law or class action lawsuits. If you have specific issues you want to discuss please start a separate thread. Let me know if I forgot anything in the Poll.

Poll Thread:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/boss-transmissionclutch-issues-poll/new/#new

Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

jeepinocala said:
Good post, hope it helps. I feel as though ford should recall the cars for a simple clutch change to something that can handle these cars not everyone will use it hard enough to see the problems but the handfull or small pile of us that do are being screwed and I am not talking of a Kenn e bell screwed either :-\ I have been clutch shopping myself looks like 1800 will fix it for good then I am going to post my old clutch as scrap on ebay ;D Wake Up Ford

Thanks for the reminder about the clutch assist spring. ;)

Rick, you left out two issues I have on the poll:

1st gear kick out/refuse to engage (different from the lock out, it goes 95% of the way in then won't engage fully) (a couple other people have this issue, based on reading here)

Grinding when disengaging gears (I might be the only one who has mentioned this here that I have seen, so probably not necessary - I very much suspect my fluid leak was responsible)

I took the poll but will have to do the answers later.
I have 2400 miles on my boss and have never drove a tranny this bad.
My issues are
1-Hard shifting up or down.RPM doesn't matter.
2-Can't tell what gear I am going to hit when up shifting or down shifting. I had hit 2 trying to go into 4th 3 time's now afarid I am going to blow the engine.
3-Real notchy feeling feel's like their is something interfering with the shifting.
I don't know if this is a tranny problem or a shifter problem but with what I paid for this car It should shift as good or better then my top loader's. I cannot race this car because of the crappy transmission. If Ford can't fix it I will put in one of my old top loader's or go to an automatic so I can enjoy my car.
Greg

98RedGT

2012 #552

A lock out issue upshifting and crunchy grinding when shifting into second gear with cold car. Once the car warms up the grinding is gone. I have not tracked the car, but it does get into high RPMs on occasion.

CaliMR said:
Rick, you left out two issues I have on the poll:

1st gear kick out/refuse to engage (different from the lock out, it goes 95% of the way in then won't engage fully) (a couple other people have this issue, based on reading here)

Grinding when disengaging gears (I might be the only one who has mentioned this here that I have seen, so probably not necessary - I very much suspect my fluid leak was responsible)
You can add them to the bottom of your post in the thread.

In 4500 miles, I have had 3 specific events:
1 2-3 lockout, on the street, above 6500 RPM
1 3-4 lockout, on track high rpm (it felt like I couldn't find 4th gear)
1 1st gear kick out (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread), in my driveway

In general, the transmission is notchy when cold, and the 1-2 shift can "beat" the synchros when cold if shifted quickly (similar to my Alfa Romeo Spider, which was famous for gearbox synchro issues). Both of these conditions disappear when the transmission warms up.

To all of you experiencing notchy shifting, I would strongly encourage you to drain your OEM fluid and switch to Ford's upgraded fluid that is now spec'd for our transmissions - which is significantly different than the fluid you have.

Many of you know that we have been upgrading/maintaining 3 2012 LS's which are tracked quite a bit. One of the cars - the one with the most track miles developed a lot of notchiness in the transmission. First gear at a standstill was sometimes hard to engage and there was an occasional slight crunch in 1-2 shifts. We drained the original fluid and re-filled with the new fluid and there has been a SIGNIFICANT improvement. As preventative maintenance, we are likely going to do the same upgrade to the other LS's. Inexpensive (relatively) insurance.

The new fluid is: Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid Part Number:XT-11-QDC

Am I the only one who doesn't have a bad thing to say about my clutch/ tranny? I have no problems powershifting on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I mostly do 0-60 blasts so I havnt really tried to powershift 3-4th gear though. I changed the tranny fluid and put Redline MTL in it at about 5k miles. I will say that the tranny was clunky and hard to shift when it was new, but has loosened up nicely now. I made sure to get the blocker rings to seat quickly though, and that seemed to help. After about 2k miles it came around and shifts beautifully now.

If there was a complaint it would be the fact that when I changed the tranny fluid, it came out like it was under pressure, making me think the vent is clogged or obstructed. I still haven't figured out if I should do anything though, and am a little worried about doing a track event until I figure that out.

bkaser90 said:
Am I the only one who doesn't have a bad thing to say about my clutch/ tranny? I have no problems powershifting on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I mostly do 0-60 blasts so I havnt really tried to powershift 3-4th gear though. I changed the tranny fluid and put Redline MTL in it at about 5k miles. I will say that the tranny was clunky and hard to shift when it was new, but has loosened up nicely now. I made sure to get the blocker rings to seat quickly though, and that seemed to help. After about 2k miles it came around and shifts beautifully now.
You're not the only one. From our poll there are currently 27 people who have voted, 5 have had no transmission issues and 8 have had no clutch issues. This poll is far from scientific or accurate but it will give anyone reading it an idea that owners are having issues.

BTW I thought my stock shifter with a Steeda shifter bracket and Redline oil shifted beautifully. My concern is the lock out I've been getting while tracking my Boss so I installed a MGW shifter. It certainly is more accurate and continues to loosen up. I installed it in hopes that it will eliminate my shifting lock out on track and will report back.

You think the stock setup is beautiful go drive an older mustang or a gt500 and tell me then you think its beautiful last week I drove a coworkers 2008 gt and it is 10 times better He does have a hurst short shifter on his but I checked this out cause it is way better and noticed the shifter mechanism is totally different hum one rod for our trans they have two???? Ford screwed up a good thing.

Boomerstoys

Keep the shiny side up & the rubber side down!

First off: Thanks for getting this poll up.

Ford, from my viewpoint, is very interested in fixing these issues. It is a numbers game and at this point I think they are doing their best to resolve issues as they are presented.

The lockout issue is very dangerous. Particularly on downshifts. If you are in a braking zone and can't get the gear you want and end up in a lower gear than intended, it could be disasterous for you, your car, and following drivers.

Just my .02!!!!!

Cheers!

PS: I love my Boss!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

The thing is it started out just kinda sticking half-way to the floor just random here and there now it does it 1 in four times. Its not any one gear either 2nd third and fourth it has happened. I think the transmission/shifter isnt the issue with the lock out and pedal atleast not in my car. Its the Pressure plate, pedal assembly and hydraulic/throw out bearing design. All three mediocre parts work fine when they are all new and crisp...one starts to wear and now you have shifting problems....

MA

I had some of the issues mentioned in this thread, and I now do NOT have any issues.

Here is what I did:

Motul RBF 600 fluid
JHR Clutch Line
Removal of assist spring from clutch pedal assembly.
AED Tune ( must have to do with TQ management changes, not really sure, but since the tune, have had ZERO issues with lockout and prior to, even with these changes, would get it occassionally.)

That is IT. No more lockout, no more clutch sticking to the floor.

Everyone complains about notchiness on the 1-2 when its cold. This is normal. The fluid in the trans is thick and the lubricity isn't as efficient. I always drive easy until the car is at full operating temp anyway, so this is not an issue at all. I've had many, many manual trans cars and they all did this when cold.

I hate Chinese manufactured crap, but so far I just hit 5k miles and so far so good on this trans.

Justin said:
I think the transmission/shifter isnt the issue with the lock out and pedal atleast not in my car. Its the Pressure plate, pedal assembly and hydraulic/throw out bearing design. All three mediocre parts work fine when they are all new and crisp...one starts to wear and now you have shifting problems....
I agree. Did you have issues at the strip this past week?

SVT1 said:
AED Tune ( must have to do with TQ management changes, not really sure, but since the tune, have had ZERO issues with lockout and prior to, even with these changes, would get it occassionally.)

That is IT. No more lockout, no more clutch sticking to the floor.
I asked about the tune in your drag strip thread. Interesting and hopefully Shaun will comment about it. I still think all the things we're all doing, shifter, trans oil, clutch line and removing the spring are all band aids masking real issues with the clutch.

Boomerstoys said:
First off: Thanks for getting this poll up.
Thanks. It was a group effort and several other members had good ideas that I incorporated into the poll. I wanted to try (as hard as that may be) to keep it objective as possible in the hopes that someone at Ford will be able to gather some useful information from it.

Boomerstoys said:
PS: I love my Boss!
So do I regardless of these issues. I know many others do too. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors