The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brad Pitt to star in upcoming F1 movie?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
He would be a driver coming out of retirement to race alongside a rookie teammate.... hmmm, sounds familiar. This only works if Brad can somehow channel Kimi's personality, and I'm not sure if he is good enough to do that. :)

Hopefully it isn't Driven 2. I really liked Rush and Ford vs. Ferrari. Not sure Pitt is the right person for this role, or if the storyline makes much sense, but I'd likely watch it anyway.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Coming into the pits is Brad Pitt, and I am hoping this movie is not the pits.............a star is not always the formula for a good racing movie!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cruising into the Pitt , wait, let me rephrase that. That film would get mired in the mess of who gets Top Gunning, er, Top Billing?

I hope the racing content is correct, because that is what the key is for so many of us, and getting it right could make the film a must see , as opposed to one where one spends 2 hours of a 2.5 hour film in dialogue.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I typically refuse to watch racing movies, Ford v. Ferrari being the exception. That was a very good racing movie. A bit sappy in places but pretty damn good.

The one that sticks out in my mind is the old LeMans one with Newman from 1971. It wasn't great, but it was pretty good. For some reason I thought Garner was in that movie too but he wasn't. Old guy mind tricks. I was hanging with a bunch of Formula Ford guys way back then and the whole team went to see it.

Anything with Cruise in it is on my sh*t list. Total no go zone. I'm pretty fussy about what I'll watch on TV or in the movies these days, most of what passes for entertainment these days is just shite pandering to someone's agenda.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
the old LeMans one with Newman from 1971... I thought Garner was in that movie
Le Mans is Steve McQueen. Newman's main racing movie was Winning. And Garner was in Grand Prix, directed by John Frankenheimer.

Legend has it that McQueen wanted to film Le Mans (working title Day of the Champion) at the same time Grand Prix was in production (1965). McQueen and initial director John Sturges had even locked up a deal with the ownership of Nurburgring before Frankenheimer shot there, the upshot being 27 reels of film from Frankenheimer were able to be screened by Sturges and McQueen's production company. They determined Frankenheimer's footage was so good, there was no way they could compete at the box office if the films came out at the same time. So McQueen had to wait until 1970 to film Le Mans.

All the main actors in Grand Prix were given race driving instruction; some proved unable to drive well enough and needed stand-ins filled by professional race drivers, but Garner took to it especially well and ended up doing all his own driving, including the stunts. Shelby team and F1 driver Bob Bondurant was hired as a technical consultant for the movie, and ended up giving Garner personal instruction. Between shooting, impromptu races were sometimes held between some of the better-driving actors and the professional race drivers, and Garner was able to compete on level with some of the pros; Bondurant commented Garner could have been competetive in F1. It was this chance instruction of Garner by Bondurant that planted the idea which eventually came to fruition as the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving in 1968.

Garner would go on to form the American International Racers race team that competed in several series -- endurance sports cars, F5000, off-road/Baja (with Bondurant driving an AMC SC/Rambler for Garner in the 1969 Baja 500) -- as movie studio contracts and filming insurance would typically prevent Garner from driving. The film The Racing Scene covers a year of the team's exploits. Decades later, Patrick Dempsey faced the same contract issues as he progressed in his driving career, eventually transitioning from semi-pro driver to team owner of Dempsey-Proton Racing.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors